Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD seems to be changing things up with their diesel fuel protect products. They used to have TY26784 (Fuel-Protect Summer Formula 16 oz.) and TY26787 (Fuel-Protect Winter Formula 16 oz.). A 16 oz. bottle of Winter Formula TY26787 is shown below. Any ideas why all the changes?

Some dealer websites are showing TY26784 replaced by TY27722, although JD Parts still shows TY26784 as valid.

Part Number:
TY26784
Part Price: 8.53 USD Each
Description: Fuel Conditioner - FUEL-PROTECT,SUMMER 473ML(16 FL OZ)

However, TY27722 shows up in JD Parts as this:

Part Number:
TY27722
Part Price: 8.93 USD Each
Description: Fuel Conditioner - DIESEL FUEL CONDITIONER,473ML,16OZ

Note: no mention of Summer formula on the new part number.

Some dealer websites AND JD Parts is showing TY26787 replaced by TY27725.

Part Number:
TY27725
Replaces Part: TY26787
Part Price: 6.88 USD Each
Description: Fuel Conditioner - COLD WEATHER FORMULA,473ML,16OZ

Note the name change from "Winter Formula" to "Cold Weather Formula".

What's even weirder is that it used to be when you searched for the Fuel-Protect products it brought you to a JD product page with all the details and Q&A about the new products. NOW when you search for fuel protect you get similar information about products TY16233 and TY16230 which apparently are obsolete.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don’t know why the changes but if you use JD fuel conditioners, do you know if JD has a BioCide for your fuel tank similar to PS Bio-Kleen?

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t know why the changes but if you use JD fuel conditioners, do you know if JD has a BioCide for your fuel tank similar to PS Bio-Kleen?
I'm not familiar with Bio-Kleen but it looks like JD sells this stuff:

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I noticed the change in July, when I last purchased the Fuel Conditioner. Is it simply smart marketing, as a cold weather conditioner is valuable even when it's not technically winter?

Wasn't it last year when the arctic air mass moved into the lower states prior to winter and caught so many people with untreated fuel? With the conditioner labeled as "Cold Weather" conditioner, perhaps more customers will purchase and use the conditioner earlier in the year and not get caught with gelled fuel.

Maybe it's because they had to reformulate or relabel the conditioners for sale in California?

The chart above and snippet below are from a recent JD "Oil Sales Guide" . Nothing earth-shattering there, but good info nonetheless.

1578831900553.png

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Wasn't it last year when the arctic air mass moved into the lower states prior to winter and caught so many people with untreated fuel?
Yes, it caught everyone, especially fuel suppliers with their pants down. Nov '18 was a record cold for the month, but I like the idea of blaming California too.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
I use the winter blend all year. But, the last time I went to the dealer to get another bottle, they had only a non-Deere product, can't remember the name. I don't use the closest Deere dealer so I'll switch to Stanadyne, who I think makes the Deere product also.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the winter blend all year. But, the last time I went to the dealer to get another bottle, they had only a non-Deere product, can't remember the name. I don't use the closest Deere dealer so I'll switch to Stanadyne, who I think makes the Deere product also.
That's the weird part, the product page for the previous part numbers no longer comes up but instead you always get a page for TY16233 and TY16230 which are obsolete styles. Under that page is the following FAQ response:

Why did John Deere switch from Stanadyne to the new program?
All-Season Stanadyne was a good product for the time. However, it only provided moderate lubricity protection, limited detergency, Cetane, and some cold weather operability.
Since the introduction of All-Season Stanadyne, more information on low sulfur-fuel has been obtained and improvements in the product were found to be necessary. John Deere Premium Diesel Fuel Conditioner offers the latest technology that provides the best performance in a wide variety of fuel sources.

They have definitely introduced a significant confusion factor.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
I'll have to check back and see if they have the new stuff. I have enough now to last through spring, but I treat each can of fuel year round.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to check back and see if they have the new stuff. I have enough now to last through spring, but I treat each can of fuel year round.
Same here. I've settled on just using the Winter Blend year round. Summer and Winter are identical except Winter also includes the anti-gelling agent.

I wonder if the stuff goes bad? My 16 oz. bottle is several years old. I keep it sealed in a warm dry place but I know even products like Sta-Bil say they are only good for 2-years once you open the bottle. The JD Fuel-Protect doesn't say anything about expiration on the bottle. I don't use much fuel each year and with only using around 1.5 oz at a time it goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Why did John Deere switch from Stanadyne to the new program?
All-Season Stanadyne was a good product for the time. However, it only provided moderate lubricity protection, limited detergency, Cetane, and some cold weather operability.
Since the introduction of All-Season Stanadyne, more information on low sulfur-fuel has been obtained and improvements in the product were found to be necessary. John Deere Premium Diesel Fuel Conditioner offers the latest technology that provides the best performance in a wide variety of fuel sources.
Diesel fuel formulas are constantly changing, regionally more and more suppliers are moving away from the traditional blending with clear kerosene, I'm told that's the way of the future. That means the fuel supplement companies are challenged to make a product that works well with the suppliers own cold flow improvers. Even in regions that are still blending the formulas are different, most suppliers are adding lubricity supplements to the kerosene.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm not familiar with Bio-Kleen but it looks like JD sells this stuff:

The link is Broken and only goes to JD Parts lookup. Bio-Kleen is a PowerService product that is suppose rid your fuel tank if algae and slime among other things.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The link is Broken and only goes to JD Parts lookup. Bio-Kleen is a PowerService product that is suppose rid your fuel tank if algae and slime among other things.
Interesting... when I click that link it brings up a PDF product sheet. :unsure:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interesting... when I click that link it brings up a PDF product sheet. :unsure:
That’s because it automatically logs into your account on that website thus taking you to what you have looked at. Take a screenshot of the page you want to show or just give me the name of the JD product and I’ll google it.

Here is what come up when I click on the link

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s because it automatically logs into your account on that website thus taking you to what you have looked at. Take a screenshot of the page you want to show or just give me the name of the JD product and I’ll google it.
But I don’t have a login for that site. Yes, will screen shot it. I was going to do that initially but since it was multiple pages I wasn’t sure how legible it would be.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take a screenshot of the page you want to show or just give me the name of the JD product and I’ll google it.
Here is the actual PDF file.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here is the actual PDF file.
That is the same type of treatment as the PowerService Bio-Kleen. The Bio-Kleen is $30 for 16 oz. with tax about $2/oz.1 oz treat 50 gallons on a maintenance dose or treats 20 gallons for a shock treatment. I am going to shock my system for the first few tanks as I have seen the three globs of algae that I washed out of my fuel tank.

I wonder how much the stuff is that you show from JD? It seems to be much stronger than the Bio-Kleen treatment.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is the same type of treatment as the PowerService Bio-Kleen. The Bio-Kleen is $30 for 16 oz. with tax about $2/oz.1 oz treat 50 gallons on a maintenance dose or treats 20 gallons for a shock treatment. I am going to shock my system for the first few tanks as I have seen the three globs of algae that I washed out of my fuel tank.

I wonder how much the stuff is that you show from JD? It seems to be much stronger than the Bio-Kleen treatment.
My dealer is showing $47.51 for a 32 oz. container (PM701014US).

Part Number:
PM701014US
Part Price: 47.51 USD Each
Description: Diesel Fuel Storg. Stabilzr - FQS 1.5 MICROBICIDE

·
Registered
188 Posts
That’s cheaper per oz than the Bio-Kleen. A 32 oz bottle would last quite a long time. About 5 years worth of it if I use it in the JD and Ferguson 240. Thanks for the price update.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts