Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a bit of Roundup here and there about 2-3 times a year to control some weeds in the gravel driveway and a few other places where it isn't practical to weed wack them. I'm talking 1-1/2 gallons in a hand sprayer.

Lately I've been getting flak from friends and relatives because of a commercial they've been seeing on TV and on some social media outlets. You know the one, some legal firm apparently trying to drum up some business saying folks are dropping like flies after using Roundup. I recently used some to clear under growth behind a hedge that is otherwise inaccessible. The neighbor stopped over to ask me what I had used that did such a nice job. When I said Roundup he said "Oh! Isn't that the stuff your not supposed to use anymore?" He then mentioned all the commercials saying Roundup is bad. He had apparently already tried all the "edible" alternatives and found they didn't last more than a week before the weeds started to re-emerge. I said that I don't drink it, I just spray it on weeds. He laughed and said his next stop was Lowe's to get a bottle of concentrate. :)

So what's the deal? Is Roundup the cancer death serum that these ads make it out to be or is the whole thing a big scam by some law firm to drum up business?

The common sense in me says if it really was THAT bad chances are you wouldn't still be able to purchase large quantities of concentrate at literally every hardware, farm and big box store. I also doubt farmers would still be spraying it on soy, corn, sugar beets, cotton and alfalfa. In addition, there are plenty of other glyphosate-based weed killers on the market.

Common sense has me wearing rubber gloves whenever I handle the stuff and I wash everything up real good when finished.

So what's the deal? Are my days numbered or is this just another example of fake news?

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
The deal is they have money. Lots of money.

Any chemical is hazardous without proper protection but this is an evil chemical like big pharma.

I would assume that many studies would show alcohol and smoking kills more people than any illegal drug. Compared to any other standard they would be illegal but there is revenue to be made in taxes. The big tobacco lawsuits were a long time ago you would think they would be starting up for the next generation soon. For now round up, hernia mesh and car accident will have to fill the gap.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's like those artificial sweetners they tested on mice. If you're exposed to more than 100 times the recommended safe dose every single day for a long time, bad things can happen. (You can also drown yourself by drinking too much water!) I doubt there are significant risks for occasional users who don't drink or douse themselves in Roundup. Basic common sense that applies when using any chemical should suffice. I sure don't worry about it!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
i haven't mixed or sprayed any round-up for 5 yrs now. in the back of my mind from reading and hearing so much negative stuff about, i think i gave our yellow lab cancer back then. i mean i didn't let her walk thru where i was spraying right at the time, but she was outside with me back them yrs, so did i cause her to get cancer:dunno:

since we got Charley boy i haven't mixed up any-vet told me after 2hrs it was ok for him to walk thru it--just hate to try it in my mind. don't want to go thru it again.

i could use some at different areas here badly.

i watch a lot of farm videos and they all mention how they stick their hands in the stuff-while mixing it-breathe it-and their still around-so.....................

does anyone who uses it-has ur dogs ran thru it right after spraying on the grass ur wanting to kill?

·
Registered
449 Posts
A lot of the new big hate people have for roundup is because it's being linked to killing bees. Multiple countries in Europe has banned roundup (glyphosate) because of its link to the decline in bee populations.

There is a cancer risk buts it's small to non existent for residential use. If you work a farm and handle larges amounts of the stuff and expose yourself to the spray repeatedly then you should be more careful.

According to California everything causes cancer anyway.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A groundskeeper in California who used Roundup extensively over decades was awarded a huge settlement by a sympathetic California jury after he developed non-Hodgkins lymphoma. It was a tenuous verdict based on emotion, not science. This put the odor of money in the air, which was picked up by the extremely sensitive noses of personal injury attorneys all across the country. The science and cause/effect relationship is far from clear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use it on the driveway and around buildings to keep the weeds clear. There are other alternatives to use, I would think they would not be healthy for you either. I don’t use any on our garden or around our livestock areas.
I grew up in the corn fields of Illinois and now live surrounded by corn fields. I’ve probably been exposed to lots of chemicals over the years just from location. Maybe Monsanto Roundup is the “Kleenex” or “Bush Hog” of the ag chemical world? Very recognizable name and all sprays are “Roundup” to most people? I know a few people that are hesitant about using Roundup but would be totally fine if you gave them glyphosate to use instead.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
EPA evaluatoin

The EPA recently completed yet another study of the risks and concluded that it was non-carcinogenic when used according to label directions: EPA's evaluation of the carcinogenic potential of glyphosate | Science Inventory | US EPA .

It's not 100% safe, nothing is. However as long as you follow the label both you and your pets should be fine. I would discourage pets from going in a sprayed area until it has a chance to dry. After than, I would worry about it.

As others have said, lawyers see the risk of not collecting millions in fees if they don't advertise. To them, all that lovely money is sitting there just waiting to be handed over if only they get the right case and the right jury.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
A groundskeeper in California who used Roundup extensively over decades was awarded a huge settlement by a sympathetic California jury after he developed non-Hodgkins lymphoma. It was a tenuous verdict based on emotion, not science. This put the odor of money in the air, which was picked up by the extremely sensitive noses of personal injury attorneys all across the country. The science and cause/effect relationship is far from clear.
With their heads that far up there, you wouldn't think they could smell that well.:mocking:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not only is Round Up a big money maker for the attorneys, Johnson's Baby Powder is going to do that as well. Supposedly it also causes cancer.

Another very questionable cause and effect link.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Baby powder is made from talc which is a mineral. Talc deposits very commonly have asbestos mixed in with them. Talc and asbestos in their natural state are almost identical and very difficult to separate.

J&J knew their baby powder contained talc and asbestos. They knew their product contained an asbestos exposure risk. They protected their employees against this hazard. They never labeled their product to warm the public of this risk.

It was common knowledge the risk was there and when all 3 of my kids were born we were warned by both the hospital and our pediatrician not to use baby powder containing talc.

In asbestos exposure training courses that I have taken for work all of them bring up talc as a primary example of exposure risk.

The case against J&J was fairly solid in that there was no warning. The risk however remains extremely small.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
All I've ever used was the Roundup Pro concentrate. It has become pretty expensive lately. In the neighborhood of 80 dollars for 1.6 gallon. I just used up the last of my 1.6 gallon jug this week.
I was at the feed mill a few weeks ago where I get my bird seed, and talking to the owner he mentioned this Ranger Pro stuff. He said about 2.5 ounces per gallon of water. I did 4 ounces per gallon for Roundup. So at 37 dollars and some change for a 2.5 gallon jug, I figured I'd give it a try!

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
All I've ever used was the Roundup Pro concentrate. It has become pretty expensive lately. In the neighborhood of 80 dollars for 1.6 gallon. I just used up the last of my 1.6 gallon jug this week.
I was at the feed mill a few weeks ago where I get my bird seed, and talking to the owner he mentioned this Ranger Pro stuff. So at 37 dollars and some change for a 2.5 gallon jug, I figured I'd give it a try!
Same active ingredient (glyphosate) as what is used in Roundup.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is shaping up to be a flashback to the 90's, when the big tobacco companies got hammered in court for massive lawsuit damages. Their shares dropped and provided a wonderful buying opportunity for reliable and consistently high dividend yields, spin-offs of other dividend yielding shares. Altria has been the gift that keeps giving for more than two decades now.

Brian

·
Registered
21,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I use it, and not worried. Do what the instructions say,; protect yourself and carry on. If you go out with a pair of shorts on and a tank top well, you are asking for whatever happens, as with any chemical, you have t be vigilant.. Monsanto where they make the stuff is less than a hour form my house, still not worried.
The plant carries the product to the roots and kills the plant. once dry no worries. I buy the concentrate, 50% glyphosate and mix it as the instructions say.. and you don't need much,, more than what the instructions say does not good and you're just wasting money,, stuff is not cheap.
Just think of the apple orchards and those guys sitting in a cab with all that chemical swirling around them from the spray... I would think that's much worse,, but Morgan and Morgan aren't harping on that one yet. I know a few of those people and they all have growths on their skin and they don't like wearing a mask or long sleeve shirts and when in a cab,,,,, really how do you get away from it? A big cloud of green mist! I would assume Frank, (Moderator SGS) knows all about it,, he basically lives surrounded by an orchard...
Vaping is the next killer and profit for attorneys.. Christ, eating a good charcoal cooked steak on the grill will kill ya... Better all just wrap ourselves up in cotton an get in the closet to stay safe!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I may have to trim my position in Altria, as they have a large investment in Juul.

Brian

I use it, and not worried. Do what the instructions say,; protect yourself and carry on. If you go out with a pair of shorts on and a tank top well, you are asking for whatever happens, as with any chemical, you have t be vigilant.. Monsanto where they make the stuff is less than a hour form my house, still not worried.
The plant carries the product to the roots and kills the plant. once dry no worries. I buy the concentrate, 50% glyphosate and mix it as the instructions say.. and you don't need much,, more than what the instructions say does not good and you're just wasting money,, stuff is not cheap.
Just think of the apple orchards and those guys sitting in a cab with all that chemical swirling around them from the spray... I would think that's much worse,, but Morgan and Morgan aren't harping on that one yet. I know a few of those people and they all have growths on their skin and they don't like wearing a mask or long sleeve shirts and when in a cab,,,,, really how do you get away from it? A big cloud of green mist! I would assume Frank, (Moderator SGS) knows all about it,, he basically lives surrounded by an orchard...
Vaping is the next killer and profit for attorneys.. Christ, eating a good charcoal cooked steak on the grill will kill ya... Better all just wrap ourselves up in cotton an get in the closet to stay safe!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I used to use Roundup on my gravel drive and other areas. However, due to the many animals we have roaming the homestead, I decided against it.

I ended up buying a Red Dragon flame torch and flaming all the weeds a few times a season. Although not as effective as Roundup, a quick pass over the weed with it and it'll shrivel up and die within a few days. Some larger weeds will require a few heat applications to actually kill the roots because they store a lot of energy. It's worked well for me for several years including my fence lines.

Plus, it's a blast to use! (No pun intended :laugh:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I’ve read that it’s perfectly safe when following the directions on the label. Pretty much the same thing I’m told about every chemical I’m exposed to at work. One thing I’ve found is that no amount of PPE keeps all this crap off you when you deal with it as much as I do. I’ve been spraying stuff way worse than roundup for many years now, the worst probably being chlorphyrifos. I’m still alive and reasonably healthy.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts