Green Tractor Talk banner

What's the model hierarchy?

15K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  javjacob 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, new to this forum! I'm sure this question has been asked a million times (sorry)..... I've been shopping around ever since I moved to a new larger lawn house this summer... But after researching the classified and doing some google searching JD Garden tractor model number is CONFUSING as all!!! They weren't thinking when labeling the models of these beefier lawn/garden tractors. I def want to go Kawasaki motor, like my LX176 but bigger hp. Anyone care to chime in on order of strength and greatness of the LX to GT to X series?? My dream is a Diesel 4x4 X series... but they aren't cheap!

Quick background: I've got about 2 acres of lawn which slopes good down, then flattens out then slopes down again. Pretty hairy mowing it hanging off the side of the tractor. Also got a descent size circular driveway now too. I have the 38" mower deck and 38" snow thrower for the LX176. It may get me by this year but probably won't cut it in the future. It already takes me about 1.5 - 2 hrs to mow the lawn! I want something bigger and better!! Would love a GT or GX or X series.

#2 · (Edited)
X series is current production, if looking at new it's all you will find in a L&G model. Used models of all of the above are out there, but again X series is current and likely to be all you find "like new or lightly used".

Current X series with Kaw motors top out at 22hp IIRC from Deere's website. However it's less about HP with them than how they're driven, geared and how that HP is used. Example: my L130 is 23 hp (Kohler) and my former 2210 SCUT had a 23 hp yanmar. The SCUT due to its gearing and hydraulics could do things with its 23hp the L130 couldn't in its wildest dreams despite the SCUT being near 4x heavier with the loader!

All that said if you dream of a X7xx diesel why not look a nice used 4xx series L&G models? They have the same yanmars and can be found in good shape and will outwork any new or used X3xx series out there!

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks! I'm not opposed to an older model My LX is 22 years old and still runs mint. I've done all the maintenance on it myself. I'd love a Diesel but think that spending 4K plus is out of my range right now. The wife and I just bought a new house and am upgrading my wood stove and paving the driveway.
So I'm mostly inquiring on what the differences are between some of the GT/GX series and lower X's. I've read that the GT245 is actually a more durable/versatile tractor then the X300 for example. I'd def want to be able to put a 2 stage snow thrower on the model I choose too. I haven't seen many GX series out there for sale. I like the older 300 models and 400's but think they're too old for my liking right now.... well unless they are the diesel models... And that's where some more confusion comes in on the model numbering. HAHA

#7 ·
I've read that the GT245 is actually a more durable/versatile tractor then the X300 for example.
I just wanted to add and comment here to address this. I *think* what people are referring to with that sort of comment is the transmission issue.

The GTs used the TuffTorq K66 transmission. That was (and still is) a good, solid, reliable transmission.

The x300-series are built using the TuffTorq K46 transmission. That's a much lighter duty tranny that TuffTorq claims was designed for "rear-engine riders and lawn tractors". That same K46 is used in the current D1xx-series lawn tractors as well.

Needless to say, a lot of people don't have very nice things to say about the K46 tranny. IMO, it's fine for what it is. It's a LAWN tranny. So if you've got a nice flat lawn it may serve you just fine. You can't change the fluids in it (without doing some mods anyway) and JD won't work on them. If it breaks, JD's solution is to remove the entire thing and replace it with a new one. And a lot of them HAVE broken. Do a Google search on "K46 transmission problems" and you'll get plenty of results.

So if the plan is to do "garden tractor" stuff (i.e. ground engaging tasks) as opposed to "lawn tractor" stuff (i.e. knocking your 3" tall grass down to 2" tall grass), then yeah, the GT245 is probably much more durable than an x300. In the current line-up you really have to jump up to the x500 series to get into a true "garden tractor". The x300 series is lacking there.

Reactions: Levi
#4 ·
From what I can see, The GT/GX were just minor "refreshes" from the prior LT/LX models. A couple more plastic panels instead of sheet metal and slightly different mower deck option. (The LT/LX models ran 38", 42", 46" and 48" decks. The GT/GX models ran 38", 44", 48" and 54").

Here's a link to a brief review of Deere's L&G tractors over the years:
John Deere Riding Mower History Archives - John Deere MachineFinder

#10 ·
Mea Culpa!

#9 ·
Awesome guys!!! Thanks!! Great information. I keep up on maintenance and change the hydro trans fluid in my LX often. The thing really has been tuff as nails these last 10 years. I just want tuffer.... larger mower deck (so it doesn't take me near 2 hrs to mow 2 acres) note: I make pretty stripes..... and also a larger s stage snow blower (I tend to spend extra time carving away paths in the snow :). Also a bucket loader future option would be great for stacking wood into the house. So a GX or X would be what I'm looking for in the future. I think my LX should easily hold up.. I just want to make work easier with a better machine.

#12 ·
Ya I'd dream of having that model.... kinda out of the price range i wanted to spend... but I dream big and tend to make it a reality!

A used dealership in upstate NY has one: John Deere 455 garden tractor

Can that model take a bucket loader attachment?

Does anyone know which of the GX X or older models, like the 455 or 430, of Garden tractors have the ability of a bucket attachment? Researching each model is a PITA.

#13 ·
There are a couple of nice 425s listed in the MA Craigslist ads in the $2300-$2400 range. They aren't 455s but... close enough? :laugh:

#15 · (Edited)
I would also note the X320 uses the K58, not the K46 and one big reason I chose it over the X300 and its K46 (I have hills and use a snowblower) back in 2007. The X360 uses the K58H which is designed to be serviced- the K58 in the X320 is not. Eight years and 825+ hours later I can say my X320 has given me good service- it's been a great little workhorse.

#16 ·
Before I purchased a 1025R I had a JD 445 purchased in 1998 around 2003 -2004 I added an Ironman fabricators Front loader. I can say that delivery was a few weeks l;onger than first promised but after that. I had no issues with the product. after a few calls during instalation which were answered promptly and courteously I was of and running. that loader was still going strong when I sold the tractor last year. quality was excellent. Since then the company has changed names and design. Now it has an easy on and off like my 1025. Look them up.

New Link is here

CTC Front End loaders

Reactions: t2timmy and Levi
#18 ·
The GT and GX models are garden tractors. The newer version of the GT is the X500 and X520. The newer version of the GX is the X530 and X540. Garden tractors use 5 lug rear wheels. The X3xx series are lawn tractors. Lawn tractors use a key way for the rear wheels. The LX series was also a lawn tractor but had the K61, a much better transaxles than any of the X3xx series have. You could call the LX series a heavy duty lawn tractor. The X300 has the paper weight K46 transaxle and the X310 - X360 use the K58.

As far as real work goes a lawn tractor cant even hold a candle up to a garden tractor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.