Green Tractor Talk banner

What's the size/footprint of a 400CX when it's stored (not on the tractor)

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Nuru 
#1 ·
Hmm. title says it all.

Am doing a trial layout of a storage building, Looking at 24 x 30 ($20K) vs. 30 x 40 ($26K). I know, bigger is better, etc, but... The cost difference would buy the loader for my 4520. Course then if I have it, that's more to store. It's never easy...

The site for the building could take one more building at a max size of 40 x 64, so if I win the lottery there is still hope :laugh:. Heck, if I won the lottery it would be half storage, half shop and I might even by a welder.

So what is the storage footprint for a 400 CX loader ? To the nearest foot is fine, there would be 12 to 18 inches between stored implements anyway.

Pete

#9 ·
Yes, I did do that and guess what? I gotta put the loader back on this weekend (first time since the accident), as I am gonna get the yearly maintenance done on Monday, and the loader should be on, so the tech can check out everything. What happen is that I did it on an uneven surface and so the loader "bucked" and one of the arms punched the lower glass window.

#3 ·
Guestimates OK. It looks like about 6' wide by 9' long ? What I don't know is what kind of room any fancy holders might take up.

Pete

#4 ·
Without the bucket I will guess you will need a space 5' by 10' to store it. You might be able to shorten that if you curl it back up once its removed from the tractor. If you keep the bucket on, change that to 6' by 12' with it uncurled in a position you could drive up and put it on.

#5 ·
I've never taken mine off either...dont ever plan on it either....BUT... I would think that with the bucket off and the loader frame on a rolling dolly, you could "minimize" the wasted space..for example, you could roll a Box Blade between the arms, roll it into a corner, position the arms over something low profile like a Bush Hog, etc...
Of course, if you use the loader often, playing "Tractor Garage Tetris" to get everything out and positioned just right might be a PITA.

#6 ·
Of course, if you use the loader often, playing "Tractor Garage Tetris" to get everything out and positioned just right might be a PITA.
:lol::lol::lol: Tracor Garage Tetris !!!! :laugh::laugh: Glad I wasn't drinking anything.

Ok, tnx to all. Based on that ball park range, I can "get by" with a 24 x 30 for implement and trailer storage. The 30' is the long way, and it will have two 12' wide by 9' tall doors, so it's a really like a three sided shed with doors and concrete.

Pete

#7 ·
#8 ·
The current strategy is a mix of dollies and "just put it on the floor and I'm glad I have an iMatch". So the (future) loader, box blade, land plane and MX6 cutter will get to rest on a hunk of plywood or OSB and everything else is on dollies. "Tetris with boulders on the board".

The prices on the Morton buildings has gone up 13% in 18 months, and they are about to jump up another 8%.

Another hidden step in the building size selection process involves drawing hard self imposed limits on what implements I want to have. It would be fun to have a bigger building, and with that the "I have room for anything I want" but the reality is resources are always limited. Figuring out what you do a lot, occasionally, and only once factor in. I mow a lot each year. I re-work the driveway one to two times a year. Lawn/surface preparation is only done once.

And all this is OK, because if I got it wrong, well, there is room for one more building :laugh:.

Pete

#10 ·
I put my loader on 2 sets of car dollies, and that lets me move it around by myself. What I have to figure out is if I can roll the loader out of the shed to put it on level ground.

#11 ·
Never been a fan of loaders on a tractor when I have the choice to have a separate tlb. It seems to make the tractor awkward to use for 3PH jobs. Pete do you still have your Kubota tlb?

#12 ·
I still have the Kubota. I still love it for ground work due to it's size and ease of getting on and off it. The reason I'm planing the 400cx into the grand storage scheme is someday when Deere stops making the 4x20 series, I will buy the loader. It would be hard to buy it years after the fact, and I'd hate to have a fatal problem with the B21 and then have to get something just for the FEL. Should I ever sell or trade the 4520, having the loader would make a big difference. The lift and capacity on the 4520 is 2x the B21, so I might use it for a big job.

I agree that a separate TLB and non-FEL tractor is a huge win.

And it sounds odd, but if I'm living right all this will basically end up in the estate sale and the nieces and nephews will benefit from it :laugh:

Pete

#13 · (Edited)
But Pete by that time, they will have flying tractors, cars, trucks, and bikes! So your relatives will have to go for relic sales? Man you sure plan way, way, way into the future!:good2:

#14 ·
Inside every good Geek/Engineer is a borderline obsessive compulsive screaming to stay in.

Hence the over-planning.

Now if I can make it to 2045 and the so-claimed "singularity", then I can transfer my intelligence into a computer. Course that's only if they are still making 8 bit processors by then :laugh:.

A plan B (well, with over-planning it's also in plans E, H, W, and C3) scenario for life is when the day comes that I can't safely mow, and then I can see selling the 4520 and loader and hoping that might pay for a few years of "lawn" service. But who knows....

Pete

#15 ·
But by then, all the lawns will be grown genetically to a specific height - 4 - 5 inches, so then we probably will not have a reason to cut the grass.:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.