Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
Can't offer any advice on the price but I'd check the diff lock. The engagement pedal on the left floorboard looks to be a little low. Could be the picture though.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Can't offer any advice on the price but I'd check the diff lock. The engagement pedal on the left floorboard looks to be a little low. Could be the picture though.
If the parking brake is locked, I think the diff lock pedal is close to the floor board. My X748 is that way.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,194 Posts
That's common on the 455 as they need the added help of a return spring, which I have added to several. The pedal pivots are plastic inserts and they wear and cause the pedal to sag. Not a big deal and very easy to address, as long as the pedal works.

Here is the screen shot of the diff pedal on that machine. The bushings 10 and 11 need to be replaced usually and the spring #9 is often weak, both very easy to repair....

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

I sold a 455 with 2,800 hours on it for $5,800 with the 60" Deck, Mc519 cart and deck blower and front quick tach hitch and 47" snow blower.

I would say this tractor is worth $5,000 to $5,500 in its condition with the deck.

I certainly glad to see the safety shields on the mower deck are included and it would be nice it if had the correct deck chute. If SevenHills 1952 does buy this and needs / wants the deck safety chute, I have one for this serial range machine hanging in my barn..........New, they are about $325 as they are steel and hinged and hard to find........

Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Engineering

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,194 Posts
Hours seem low, 791, so if all is well then $4K would be a really good price I assume?

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
At $4k, I could buy it and resell it for about a $1,500 to $1,800 profit quite easily........Looks like the only thing it really needs is a new seat and only because they all crack in the flex section. A good Deere Seat cover over the seat is just as good a solution to keep the tractor in use.

I did notice some wiring down the side of the engine with the red and green wires which is different than how the tractor was OEM, not sure if they ran some power to the battery or what's going on, but its worth double checking on what's the wiring purpose..........

Also, all of the OEM mower deck decals are still available, which really help with making the machine "correct". I am surprised that the deck needed to be completely rebuilt at less than 800 total hours, as my tractor was still running the original spindles and I greased them every time it was used.

On most of those machines, the vibration cracks the side panels and damages the mounting tabs, which require the side panels be repaired or replaced. They are also now available after market from Flip Manufacturing in Texas, along with the hood, grille and other parts at a fraction of the cost of the OEM Deere parts. The part quality is so good that its impossible to tell the after market parts from the OEM parts. Plus Flip sells the entire side panel with screen insert for less than what Deere sells the separate pieces. It's nearly $1,000 to buy the OEM side panels, grill inserts and the seals and other pieces and along with the hood, which also often cracks from the same vibration, needed to make them correct. The decals on the side panels are about $75 a set alone.....

The decals on that mower side panels indicate that it should be a later serial number machine in the 455 series, specifically built after 1998 and the machine serial number should be 70,001 or higher. If the actual machine serial number isn't in that numerical range, the side panels have likely been replaced and the incorrect decals used, which happens often, as the decals are less expensive for the 70,001 and higher machines, plus they have the horizontal stripes through them, which do look nice.....and suit the machine well................

Overall, looks like a very nice machine and one which appears to have been well cared for. These are excellent machines and truly one of the best that Deere ever built. This isn't a tractor where you want to be taking the 60" MMM on and off often, as its a heavy duty deck and requires some muscling to get it out from under the tractor. Its no "drive over deck", but it also is a very nice cutting deck which does an excellent job and has very good air flow.

Also, the deck mounting system and the anti scalping wheels on this deck make it one which rarely needs to be leveled or squared up to cut nicely and correctly. You can even hang the deck mounted belt driven blower on the deck for the MC519 cart and the deck will carry the weight of the blower and need no adjustments to keep cutting squarely.

If you can buy this machine for $4,500 or less, I strongly suggest you do before I do and I don't even need it.............but that's an excellent value at that price.

These machines will weep some rear hydro fluid out of the differential shaft seal, the front PTO seal, the swash plate seal. Also, the swash plate bushings wear and need replacing. At 800 hours, the PTO clutch should still have a great deal of life in it, as long as it hasn't been abused. All in all, even when these machines do need repairs, they are fairly easy to make and Deere does a good job at maintaining parts for these machines, even though they are now approaching 30 years old..............

·
Super Moderator
4,114 Posts
The one thing I don't like is the wording in the ad. Call me skeptical but it seems fishy.

Reactions: RY80439 and rtgt

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
The one thing I don't like is the wording in the ad. Call me skeptical but it seems fishy.
It is prudent to be skeptical these days.

I did notice that Yanmar is spelled Yenmar.

Reactions: kylew and DRobinson

·
Registered
John Deere 650, 330, 317
69 Posts
Those look like the earlier decals. Not the later ones. If you can get it for $4,000 You’d be doing well. I have one with more hours than that for sale for more than $4000.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...I bought both the 455 & Cyclone. The owner was super nice retired fellow. He likes things cleaned & in garage which is why he had the 60" mower deck rebuilt. He saved the original parts but had deck sandblasted and powder coated, new spindles, pulleys, stainless steel hardware. It ran like new, he had a maintenance notebook every time he serviced it. Hydraulics work great. I made a cash offer and he accepted. It needs a seat, one tail light bulb and a front reflector but otherwise no panel cracks, etc. Hood is perfect. He changed oil & filters every 50 hours & waxed it. No leaks anywhere, I just couldn't pass it up.
He has a big box of spare belts, filters, oil going with it. I could tell the 791 hours are original. The Cyclone looked brand new.
He's selling because he got a Kubota rear bagger mower. I believe I'll like it.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Soo...Did you hit your target price?

Good looking machine.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got everything home. My trailer is 5ft. wide so we had to remove the 200# deck! Deck did fit in the truck along with Cyclone, hoses, etc. He was only 8.5M away so I just drove 30mph backroads home. I'll send pictures when I get everything uploaded, hopefully tomorrow. I parked it in horse barn for tonight.
Deck wasn't too bad for two men. Wheels turn sideways, he jacked up tractor front, undid driveshaft & front bracket.
Wow it sure starts & runs smooth. 22hp but diesel torque. He had valve lashes set recently. I think I'm really going to enjoy it.
He even found a box of spare things he ordered, alternator, regulator, hoses...John Deere stuff.
I'm a 70 yo but like a 7yo kid on Christmas!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts