Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
That bolt (which looks broken/stripped) holds the front drafts arms at the right height for the front draft arm hooks on the tractor for when you are connecting the mower.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its not broken. Here is another pic looking forward. There is a jam nut that goes against the deck side of the plate but there is no nut on the outside of the plate. Thus, it just hangs. Is there something missing other than the outside nut? Will the deck still come off without it and is it safe to take it off?

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
Its not broken. Here is another pic looking forward. There is a jam but that goes against the deck side of the plate but there is no nut on the outside of the plate. Thus, it just hangs. Is there something missing other than the outside nut? Will the deck still come off without it and is it safe to take it off?
You can remove it, but the draft arms will be too high and could pose a problem or prevent the mower from reconnecting on your next attempt. It would be best to replace the jamb nut and adjust it correctly to prevent hook-up issues.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found manual online. You are (as if any doubt) correct. Just needs a nut replaced before reinstalling. Of course, the dang bolt is metric and I have nothing that fits laying around......

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
Just found manual online. You are (as if any doubt) correct. Just needs a nut replaced before reinstalling. Of course, the dang bolt is metric and I have nothing that fits laying around......
Of course! Always. :lol:

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... I took the deck off figuring I'll get a nut before I put it back on next spring. But, the draft arms didn't move... Should that spring be pulling them back up since that stopper bolt is doing absolutely nothing... Didn't try to reconnect but I'm pretty sure it'd go right back on the way it's sitting

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The spring pulls the arms UP and the bolt stops them at the proper height (@ front hooks on tractor) and if you are as lucky as I am a Boy Scout selling candy (I bought caramel popcorn) will find your spring and bolt by your mailbox and return it to you! "It happend to ME!":laugh:

Now I have a nylock nut on the bolt plus a safety wire THROUGH the spring to keep tabs on it at all times!

Reactions: Levi and 5304

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spring pulls the arms UP and the bolt stops them at the proper height (@ front hooks on tractor) and if you are as lucky as I am a Boy Scout selling candy (I bought caramel popcorn) will find your spring and bolt by your mailbox and return it to you! "It happend to ME!":laugh:

Now I have a nylock nut on the bolt plus a safety wire THROUGH the spring to keep tabs on it at all times!
You happen to know what size bolt/nut is on there?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You happen to know what size bolt/nut is on there?
Naw.... It's metric and I don't do metric well.:laugh: It is about 2.5-3" long though.

JD Parts should show it. If you're going through your spare bolt collection to "make do", you have the right length when the front frame hooks are aligned with the ends of the deck draft arm. It's simply a "stop bolt".

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
588 Posts
8mm X 50mm X 1.25 thread pitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts