Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday I bought a gently used 2018 X758 with 42.9 hours on it. I have put 2.3 hours on it so far, very nice BTW. The fuel tank was pretty full when I checked an it seemed to be going down at a rate I would expect. It was a tick off full. After putting the above hours on it it was in 3/4- 1/2 range. As I was mowing in the orchard which has a fair slope I look down and see an orange icon on the dash lit and also see the fuel display virtually empty and it was flashing.:banghead: As I was turning it would then jump back up to the 1/4 range and the flashing would stop. Once I got back down to level ground it was reading 1/2.

I take it this is fairly normal?

·
Premium Member
7,453 Posts
Hills make my x485 fuel gauge read low compared to level ground, especially when "sidehilling" with down hill side to the right.

I also notice the last 1/2 of the tank goes a lot faster than the first 1/2, it's not linear at all. But at least I have fuel gauge, compared to my former JD 285.

I would be glad to test it for you all summer :laugh:, I'll even meet you1/2 way to pick it up :mocking: :pickup:

·
Premium Member
13,970 Posts
NORMAL shouldn't be but it is.

When Harley owned the 4x4 x590 it was the same way, but his new x738 gas gauge is terrible. I finally quit looking at the gauge till I have maybe a hr of mowing left.

I then go and fill the tank, sometime it takes maybe 3 - 3 1/2 gallons.

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
This has been mentioned in various threads about the fuel gauge on the larger x series. Seems to be just the way they are.
It's a similar situation on the smaller X-series as well. Sometimes getting an accurate fuel level reading is as difficult as getting an accurate hydraulic level on the larger tractors.

It's no wonder they just go with translucent fuel tanks on the big box store models.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It's a similar situation on the smaller X-series as well. Sometimes getting an accurate fuel level reading is as difficult as getting an accurate hydraulic level on the larger tractors.

It's no wonder they just go with translucent fuel tanks on the big box store models.
No more translucent tanks on basic units. Starting with the D series the tanks are black. They use a weight activated POS fuel level indicator. My '15 X310 has a translucent tank that is viewed from rear of machine.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figures, what should one expect for $14K.:hide:

·
Premium Member
7,453 Posts
Still better than the float that sunk on my JD 285 and kept the low fuel light ON.
I replaced it the first time and the parts guy said the gas eats the glue of the float halves and then the float sinks.
When that one died, I just "tried" to fill after every use, but I ran out a few times :banghead::banghead:

When I had to get a used transaxle, the Craigslist seller had the gas tank from the parts tractor on his scrap pile. I asked it the fuel sender worked. He told me "no idea, take the whole tank if you want". So I did. I swapped it into my tank and it worked.

It was still working when the tractor was stolen. :nunu:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This happened on everything I have ever owned that used liquid fuel & and had a fuel gauge. Trucks, tractors, cars. Or maybe I believe it is normal because I have always lived on sloping property.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pretty normal unfortunately, I agree that on a 15k mower it should be accurate. By the time I get done cutting after 3 hours my gauge is flashing at me, but it only takes 3gal of fuel, with 2 still remaining in the tank.

Rick

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As others said, normal.

There is no way to make it more accurate unless they use two floats and average the readings. Hey...that's not a bad idea! JD...pay attention! :)

This is why I record how many hours I get per tank. If it's telling me empty and I'm only 3 hours on the tank, I keep mowing. But...I don't go too much longer because if I'm on a slope and the part of the tank where the intake is located is high and dry, I'm still out of fuel, even if I'm not.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Am I missing something here? How can you expect a fuel gauge to be accurate on a slope?
It’s like expecting a measuring cup to be accurate on a slope:lolol:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I treat a full tank of gas like a little more ballast for the FEL.

I just keep it full.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine does it also.

The first time, I was at the bottom of a hill about 200 yards away from the gas can. The warning light came on for low fuel, and I started praying that the mower would make it to the top of the hill before running out. Now when the light comes on, I make another round or two before going back for fuel. You'll get used to it.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same on my 730... Freaked me out at first too... hardly ever look at it now. Get done with it, top the tank off. Easy enough. I have a hilly backyard, so each pass it will go from 3/4 to 1/4 to 1/2 back up...

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
My X738 reads like all of yours but it doesn't come back to where it should very quickly. I'm talking at least 15 or more minutes to settle out. In fact I was out last weekend mowing the back 9 Hilly area, and the fuel gauge was all the way it possibly could go on empty and it started skipping/surging (3 hours of run time I am guessing) like it was out of fuel.. Drove it back to the garage, and it wouldn't shut off like an old Buick dieseling. I said now what the heck is going on with that,, a new one on me with this X738 efi engine. Filled the tank and it was around half full...?????? Sounds like more that a fuel gauge going bad on my machine, now to find out what that's all about.. MY old Husky 18 horse has a fuel sensor on the bottom of the carburetor that did exactly the same thing this JD is doing.. but I know it doesn't have a carb,,, always something. My neighbor said maybe there is a heat/fuel sensor near the air filter and it's just to damn hot?? Maybe. But I'll look in the forum to see if there's a solution to this issue. The fuel gauge... Forget it, my old polaris Cutlass snowmobile had a better gauge built right into the cap!
I did like the reply "what do you expect for 14 K":lol:

·
Registered
553 Posts
My X738 reads like all of yours but it doesn't come back to where it should very quickly. I'm talking at least 15 or more minutes to settle out. In fact I was out last weekend mowing the back 9 Hilly area, and the fuel gauge was all the way it possibly could go on empty and it started skipping/surging (3 hours of run time I am guessing) like it was out of fuel.. Drove it back to the garage, and it wouldn't shut off like an old Buick dieseling. I said now what the heck is going on with that,, a new one on me with this X738 efi engine. Filled the tank and it was around half full...?????? Sounds like more that a fuel gauge going bad on my machine, now to find out what that's all about.. MY old Husky 18 horse has a fuel sensor on the bottom of the carburetor that did exactly the same thing this JD is doing.. but I know it doesn't have a carb,,, always something. My neighbor said maybe there is a heat/fuel sensor near the air filter and it's just to damn hot?? Maybe. But I'll look in the forum to see if there's a solution to this issue. The fuel gauge... Forget it, my old polaris Cutlass snowmobile had a better gauge built right into the cap!
I did like the reply "what do you expect for 14 K":lol:
My X739 did the same thing this weekend. It was hot, hot, HOT! I let it cool off in the shade for 15 minutes and everything was good. It didn't happen again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Am I missing something here? How can you expect a fuel gauge to be accurate on a slope?
It’s like expecting a measuring cup to be accurate on a slope:lolol:
I expect it to be accurate on a slope because it's trivial to do so and because I own other machines, often cheaper and not in the ultra-premium range, that do just fine. Measuring cup? :laugh:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe buy a new fuel tank cap with a standard old gauge, that way when it drops down from the neck like on the old 31X, 32X, 33X, 420, 430 you know that you've used 1/2 of your fuel!! :laugh::laugh:
I don't even know if the low fuel sender even works on my 430. It isn't work as far as I know, I've run the tank almost dry, as in sputtering of the engine. The dash light passes the test with key in test position. So it is on my next work list for the 430.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Maybe buy a new fuel tank cap with a standard old gauge, that way when it drops down from the neck like on the old 31X, 32X, 33X, 420, 430 you know that you've used 1/2 of your fuel!! :laugh::laugh:
I don't even know if the low fuel sender even works on my 430. It isn't work as far as I know, I've run the tank almost dry, as in sputtering of the engine. The dash light passes the test with key in test position. So it is on my next work list for the 430.
The filler is offset from the main area of the tank on the x series. My gauge is broken so I just fill it every use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts