Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nuts. I'm now paying .75 cents for one lemon. That's plain nuts. Or I can buy a 2 pound bag of lemons for $4.49 but the things are super small, super over ripe & awful in taste. Limes are going from .29 cents each to .88cents if you get the organic ones. You would think that being down here in SC, the gosh darn things would be less in cost. I mean from here to Jacksonville, Fl. is probably no more than a six hour drive & Jacksonville, is a citrus growing area. Now it appears that grapefruit has come down some in cost but is still high. Five pound bag runs about $4-4.50 & quality is poor.

Now on the other hand, we have just about any apple variety you can name....But apples in July..Really. And people don't seem to know the seasonal patterns to fruits & veggies. Who buys apples in July? They are all cold storage & will be ready for the trash can within 48 hours of taking them home. OK, I'm one of those strange people who loves lemons & fruit. But I'm not gonna pay .75 cents for one lemon.

:banghead::cry:

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
this is how WW3 will probably start, over high food cost's, and shortages. IT'S the same up here in pa. people don't realize the different seasons for different foods. stuff gets picked green only to ripened on the truck to market, their's no life to certain foods anymore, I agree. big jim

·
Registered
967 Posts
Priced Avocados lately?

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
Now on the other hand, we have just about any apple variety you can name....But apples in July..Really. And people don't seem to know the seasonal patterns to fruits & veggies.
Welcome to the wonderful world of globalization. Check those apples and you'll find that most of them were grown in South America. They're loaded into crates and onto a plane and flown to a grocer near you within 24 hours of being picked. That's the same place pears, plums and a host of other "fall" fruits are coming from right now. It's also where you get fresh tomatoes from in the middle of our winters. Of course, in a couple of months we'll be sending the stuff we grow down to them so no one in the industry is gonna complain.

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of globalization. Check those apples and you'll find that most of them were grown in South America. They're loaded into crates and onto a plane and flown to a grocer near you within 24 hours of being picked. That's the same place pears, plums and a host of other "fall" fruits are coming from right now. It's also where you get fresh tomatoes from in the middle of our winters. Of course, in a couple of months we'll be sending the stuff we grow down to them so no one in the industry is gonna complain.
And check your labels...most of the apple juice we get comes from China...soon it will be fresh apples.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I do read the labels on the produce. I do not buy ANYTHING that is not grown in the USA. The idiots in DC that are protecting us from us, are killing our farmers & food production with all sorts of laws, bans & regulations on what they can or cannot use to fertilize, insect control, handling, packaging etc. But its OK, to bring in produce from mexico, south America & wherever else & these countries are exempt from the laws & regulations our farmers have to follow. I don't know about you, but when it comes to fertilizing my strawberries I prefer Mirical Grow over Mexican poop & pee. I just don't buy any produce, meat, chicken or fish from over the border or across the ocean.

:usa

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's a good question-"WHY". Unfortunately we would have to ask the liars, the political frauds & corrupt administrative officials who are making millions for their families while the rest of us suffer. Do you really think you will get an honest answer. It's ok to import apples from commie chine land, because a few years back we put many of the apple growers here out of business with bogus bans on the use of certain pesticides. I've been eating American grown fruits & veggies all my life & haven't yet developed any sickness from them. And I also grow some of my own & I do use insect controls & fertilizers. Chinese apples. They can rot on the docks along with the rest of the imported rip off junk. God bless America-buy American.

:usa America is Great! Throw the bums out of office who are destroying this great land.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Limes are 10/$1.00 here, and they are not the little key limes. Mix the juice with enough tequila, and you will kill any germs!! :laugh:

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Limes are 10/$1.00 here, and they are not the little key limes. Mix the juice with enough tequila, and you will kill any germs!! :laugh:
I am not sure if the lime juice mixed with some tonic water and even more Tanqueray will kill any germs, but after a couple it won't matter to you anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I have a buddy that grew up in Lake Charles, Louisiana and then worked in Houston. He moved up here in the late 80's - about the time that Mexican beer was becoming popular and the bars were putting limes on the mouth of the bottle. He was amazed that up here that people were squeezing the limes into the beer and then dropping the lime down the neck of the bottle. He said that in Texas the reason you got the lime was to clean up the mouth of the bottle before you drank out of it. :dunno: Clean it off and then toss the lime to the side.

Back on topic - citrus and avocado prices up here are outrageous too. By the time I've gone to the grocery to buy the fixin's for a guacamole, I've spent $20. :flag_of_truce: And that doesn't include the fixin's for the sangria!

·
8,558 Posts
Because there has been no outrage over having it! Everyone has been too busy fretting over who will marry whom, to realize what has been passing in Washington that affects your food supply.

Smoke and mirrors on their part, and if they can distract enough people with one silly thing, they can shove a lot more important stuff down your throat, without you even seeing or hearing about it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Because there has been no outrage over having it! Everyone has been too busy fretting over who will marry whom, to realize what has been passing in Washington that affects your food supply.

Smoke and mirrors on their part, and if they can distract enough people with one silly thing, they can shove a lot more important stuff down your throat, without you even seeing or hearing about it.
More to the point, the current administration is paying back the favors granted.

The major players involved with importing produce, and chinese/asian foods are all on the west coast.
Those same players,grow, process, and market our domestic production globally.

15-20 years ago, they whined, bribed, and sniveled enough to get Chinese apple juice concentrate imported as "Not a food", and exempt from restrictions...which killed the Domestic Juice and process Apple market, that is largely the traditional growing regions of the Midwest and East.
Without the Juice and process market, most Midwestern growers and processors were screwed, leaving the west coast controlling the market, and a few remaining fresh market holdouts.

With the current admin., the same bunch started sniveling, whining, and bribing, to gain access to the Chinese markets for fresh, in exchange for the Chinese have approval of their garbage to be imported here....which will have the same effect as last time.

Of course the current USDA Bureaucrats signed off on the matter. Anything they can do to increase the number of invasive's, and create further justification for greater funding, they will approve. They don't like having to work in the Midwest or northeast anyhow.

Washington and California apple producers, are not your small town Wisconsin, New York, and Michigan Apple growers.
More like Trotsky in white Patent leather shoes.

Judging by the thousands of acres of Midwest, great lakes, and Northeastern Orchards, that are now growing corn, or were converted to suburbs, I give it 5-10 years before the fresh market apples will all be west coast, Chinese, or back yard production....and us surviving growers in other markets will have another dozen new invasives to deal with.

Elections have consequences.

·
8,558 Posts
We've been sold out by both sides in the votes in Congress (not just "the current administration"), and I was trying not to make this a political thread, just stating the general facts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts