Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 140 on Craigslist that has a vertical dipstick up thru the top engine baffle. All the ones I'v seen before are at an
angle to that you could check the oil without raising the hood. Anybody ever seen this configuration? I'm thinking that this machine
has been pieced together from several others. The serial number indicates it is an H1, but it has 3 hydraulic levers. It has no cigarette
lighter and there is not a cut out in the seat pan for the 3 point hitch. The owner says it has a 12.5HP kohler. Should be a 14HP.
Anybody have any idea what the engine could be from if its not original to the 140?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Wisconsin:laugh:

God only knows with all them that were built but yes it does sound like things have been changed.

Does it work good?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wisconsin:laugh:

God only knows with all them that were built but yes it does sound like things have been changed.

Does it work good?
I don't know. He says it was running when parked a couple years ago. Won't run now. It's about 80 miles away from me. I
think I'm going to look at it on Saturday. It has 2 new bar tires on the rear, rear pto, tiller with extra extension and 'some extra
parts'. He is wanting $550! I already have 2, but at that price I may have 3 in a couple of days!

·
Registered
345 Posts
The earlier 140s had a 12 hp Kohler and they did not have the cut out in the seat pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The earlier 140s had a 12 hp Kohler and they did not have the cut out in the seat pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I have a '68 with the 12HP but the oil dipstick is at an angle, not straight up like this one. I don't think this one is
that old. My '68 has one brake pedal/clutch disconnect. This one has three pedals, the disconnect and 2 brake pedals.
According to the owner (and the serial# which is suspect) this is a '73, so it should have a 14HP. I don't ever remember seeing this
configuration in a 140.:unknown:

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Have you checked JD parts?

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Yep, I didn't see it under the 140 or even the 120
That probably answers the originality question. The front shield is obviously custom, and you can’t see if the head tin has been cut to fit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got it home. $480. Rear Ag tires. 33 tiller with one extension (and rear PTO). Original seat pan ( the one that is on it does not
have the cut out for 3PH. It is an H3. Two owners ago 'restored' it. The dipstick is vertical like on a K301, but the sticker shows K321AS.
(engine replaced and used old baffles?) Has disconnect clutch, but it is not connected to anything! Has dual brake pedals and drum brakes.
Hood hinges are the old style like the 68. Grill comes out from top and is black like the engine. Looks like the newer transmission.
Front axles are 1 inch. I think I have a 140 like Johnny Cash's cadillac! A 69-70-71-72! No matter. It is my third one. I'll get it
going. Just be a challange finding the right parts. Oh and the serial number plate, attached with screws not rivets, shows it is
a 1973 H1! I'll get some pics up later.:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
The no 3pt cutout is correct for a 73h1. They were using up 120 parts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
73 didn’t have disconnect clutch. Not positive but thought 70 or 71 was last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts