Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After its winter nap I went to start the mower and it wouldn't crank. Tested the battery and it was dead. So I installed a brand new battery.

I went to start it and it sounds really rough, and black smoke is coming out of the exhaust. I took a video of it. https://youtu.be/ZGoSbgX3k7E

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
After its winter nap I went to start the mower and it wouldn't crank. Tested the battery and it was dead. So I installed a brand new battery.

I went to start it and it sounds really rough, and black smoke is coming out of the exhaust. I took a video of it. https://youtu.be/ZGoSbgX3k7E

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?
Sounds like it's missing. Black smoke is usually un burned fuel. I'd start with a new set of spark plugs. Also check the air filter and replace it if necessary. Same with the fuel filter.
Did you add any fuel stabilizer before you parked it?

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
So are you saying that it ran perfectly prior to being parked for winter? If so, I agree with the previous poster and would start by inspecting the air filter to ensure nothing camped out in it over winter. Checking the plugs isn't a bad idea but they rarely go bad just sitting over winter. I would drain the fuel out if you can and put some fresh in. If you didn't treat the fuel you may also need to clean / degunk the carb.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Gas engine black smoke is also too much fuel. Choke stuck partially closed? Carb float sticking allowing too much fuel into engine...? Start with completely new, fresh fuel in the tank and work forward.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Check for critter nests built over the winter blocking the air intake. I recently filled the garage with black smoke in 3 loooong seconds test firing the tractor while doing some maintenance. I forgot to remove the rag from the air intake that I stuffed there to block any dirt from dropping in it! :banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts