Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For me, it's kind of hard to nail down one as my favorite. Several years ago there used to be a pizza place called, "Delicious Pizza". It was unlike the other well known pizza chains in the area. It was terrific. Unfortunately, they were caught selling something else in addition to pizza, illegal drugs. At least that's what I was told and that would certainly explain their shutting down so quickly. A lot of people really enjoyed the food.

We used to have several Pizza Inn chains in the area, but now there are very few. I'll have to try some and see if it's like it used to be.

Papa Johns has been very hard for me to stomach. Some people like it and I have tried to more than once, but I just don't care for it.

Back when Little Ceasar's opened up in the early 1990's, we all thought it was pretty decent. Then a few years or so later, the company declared bankruptcy. The ones that opened up in the past couple of years under the same name are just not the same at all.

I'm mainly a pepperoni kind of guy, though I do like supreme with mushrooms and black olives,but without onions.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I like ultra thin crispy crust with meat, cheese and sauce. Not a big fan of the vegetable laden supreems. Love vegies, just not on my pizza.
I do like canadian bacon with pineapple though.
Thanks alot, I have to drive to town now and find a pizza:nunu:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would consider myself a pizza connoisseur and will travel a great distance just to have a good pizza. I have found that a person's favorite pizza is usually the one that he or she grew up eating, which is also true for me. There is a mom and pop pizza place in my area (LaRoma Pizza) that I grew up eating and would consider my favorite. One of my colleagues and I will go on road trips of an hour or more just to eat pizza. We love the stuff.

As far as my favorite, I personally like most types of traditional pizza toppings (sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, ham, etc.). I'm not big into the pizza hybrids (taco, bbq, white sauce, etc.). I will eat them if they are on a pizza buffet, but will not generally order a whole pie of this variety.

As far as crust, I like thin crust the best, but do have a sweet spot in my heart for an occasional deep dish or stuffed pizza. I'm not too far from Chicago, so I generally stop somewhere for a pie if I am ever in town.

When it comes to chain joints, I take a pass. There are way to many excellent mom and pop joints around here to mess with mediocre chain pizza.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We only get pizza once or twice a year, but when we do, we get Chicago style.

Home Page
That must be Chicago style thin crust. It does look good though. It actually looks very similar to the pizza that comes out of my favorite pizza place.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sure looks tasty.

There are some places in Dallas that people say have good Chicago style pizza, but I only go to that city if I absolutely have to. Traffic can be a real nightmare.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We only get pizza once or twice a year, but when we do, we get Chicago style.
Once or twice a year? Good Lord I'd never survive. Once a week at a minimum.

Wood fired margherita for me. I'm a pie minimalist.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Once of twice a year? Good Lord I'd never survive. Once a week at a minimum.
I agree! I have pizza at least once a week as well. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wifes pizza

I agree! I have pizza at least once a week as well. :thumbup1gif:
When pizza hut came to Indiana Pa. many years ago I thought it was pretty good. But over the years I have decided it is among the worst, and it is the same no matter where you are. The items on the salad bar look like road kill and taste the same. I have had many good ones at other places and I have a wife that makes terrific ones. The hard part of the homemade is smelling that aroma and knowing you are going to have to suffer a while until it is done. Then I get in a hurry and dont wait for it cool, and burn the roof of my mouth. Oh well,I always seem to heal in time for the next one. I forgot to mention that the aroma starts with waiting for the dough to rise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is a topic I can talk about!! In my area ( east central Indiana ) we have pizza king. Yeah we have pizza hut, dominos, papa johns, little caesars, and a few others. But pizza king it the best!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I agree with Big Gus. The regular pizza I grew up with was a small place in town called Sorrento's. For Sicilian style, a bar the next town over named Senape's Tavern had the best, served with a large pitcher of birch beer. All pizza is now compared to theirs, and rarely do I find any as good.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I've been in this neighborhood 16+ years and I've watched the pizza quality go down year after year. Amount of awful dough goes up and the toppings including cheese become less and less. Last really good pizza I had was from "Rio's" in Mohegan Lake, NY...

Now I buy frozen Tombstones, keep 4-5 in the freezer, keep the $5 tips and feel just as full saving lots of 10% ethanol gas for the hybrid folks to use.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Do ya'll have Papa Murpheys Pizza around your area? It is my favorite by far, They will make it up to your spec...and they really flood the toppings on. You then take it home,pop it in the oven for 20 minutes...and then VOILA....out comes a fresh tasty pizza

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Papa Murphy's take-n-bake pizzas. The last one I bought was a large 5-meat stuffed crust job, which is essentially two pizzas in one. I got 4-meals over 3-days from that puppy. :tongue: I should have got a medium instead.

I used to get Pizza Hut's Greaselover's (Meatlover's) pizzas fairly regularly many years ago. About 30-years ago we had Pizza Inn's here and they were good; it's too bad they disappeared from Colorado. Godfather's when they were around sucked. Domino's seems just like Pizza Hut to me, and I've never tried Papa John's and Little Caesar's.

As for toppings, I only get meat on my pizzas. Veggies are for rabbits and the "Tofu Warriors" who live in Boulder, Colorado. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
I am not a big fan of pizza but the best pizza I every had was in Venice Italy some place and I have no idea where any more. At the time a large was good for no more than 2 people.

·
Registered
287 Posts
my favorite is pepperoni and crushed garlic. Dominos has just pepperoni. Pizza Hut comes in a close second thats local to me, love their marinara sauce. One local place from where I used to live made the best garlic pizza.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
We are going to be trying new pizza today. Friends (I have 3) have invited us over for "grilled pizza". hmmmmm. Will report back later.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
We are going to be trying new pizza today. Friends (I have 3) have invited us over for "grilled pizza". hmmmmm. Will report back later.
4, I'll be your friend! Just Sayin!

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Pizza talk on the tractor forum = cabin fever. That said, Regina Pizza in Boston makes a damn fine thin crust Margherita Pizza!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts