Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running some sort of generic orange trimmer line from the big box store in my Stihl FS130R and it just doesn't hold up. I'm looking for something that will last in some tall weeds with briars that is also littered with sticks since this is in the woods. I've got blades and they do serve their purpose, but they just cut and lay down the plants where the string shreds much better.

What super heavy duty trimmer line are you running?

Here are some of my string alternatives that I use:

yYZ1xJVFR7bjsozl_9co3K7jzXbG1TjxUJEJSLBiUEvRwI8h_XI0ZqioE_Y__mY7yPLhRHwEKyrGm9wUw0qY2GCyd3ALkHqd.jpg

Registered
I use Husqvarna Titanium, I think it's called. Gray/silver color.

It's good stuff, but it doesn't make using it any better.

Registered
I run Stihl X-Line on my Deere XT120.
I ran some generic stuff when I first bought it, but after a few months, and lots of fence lines, it wasnt working out too well. The dealer talked me into it with a discount on it, and Ive been hooked ever since.
The X-line seems wear much better, and cuts heavier weeds with ease. It can cut some brush, but for heavy brush cutting I use a 3 pointed blade.

Chief Stick-picker-upper
I've been using the generic line also, some better than others.

I read reviews about the Rotary Vortex and ordered a spool. As soon as I have the replace the line, I'll install this, and report back on the results.

click here
LINE TRIMMER VORTEX .095X230'

Registered
I use this type because it lasts longer. I've used just the rounded type and it won't last as long.

Bonehead Club Lackey
I use .130, round and black. It's the only thing besides a blade that will last. Most likely it won't fit your head because I haven't found a head that it will fit. So I modified my head to make it fit. I just make a slot on an angle going away from the way it needs to be fed on the head in the center divider, find the center point of the length of string you need, bend it at that point and wind both sides of the head at once using one piece of string. In 6 to 8 hours of weed eating I go through 2 heads worth of string. My string that goes on my head is the length of my arms stretched out twice. Say 12 feet. I buy my string at my Stihl dealer and use a self tapping head.

You wouldn't believe what I weed eat. Some is so strong that I have to cut it going from the top down. I even cut branches with it.

Registered
.095 seems to be the largest (hand-held) string trimmer line available. Anything larger is for wheeled type commercial trimmers.
I've had the best luck with the line that has 5 points (5-sided star) for "most" fibrous type greenery.
When I used a weedeater, I used well known brands of line in commercial roll size

Registered
I use this type because it lasts longer. I've used just the rounded type and it won't last as long.

X2 seams to hold up good.

Premium Member
.095 seems to be the largest (hand-held) string trimmer line available. Anything larger is for wheeled type commercial trimmers.
I've had the best luck with the line that has 5 points (5-sided star) for "most" fibrous type greenery.
When I used a weedeater, I used well known brands of line in commercial roll size

Like Levi mentioned he uses .135 I use .105 for my Stihl 110 weedeater. It came from the factory with .095, not big enough around here. Over at Harleys his Stihl 75 only had ..065 or .075 either way small and going thru sting way to fast.

Made both weedeater heads to accept .105 string, found a drill bit the size of the either X type or Pentagon shaped Stihl string the local dealer carries.

Drilled the factory slot , and have used .105 for the past 10+ yrs no issues with the smaller head on the smaller weedeater. The big savings is not changing string every hr or so.

Yesterday I was weedeating , as Levi said , I tree branches , the heavier brush along the creek bank or what ever is in the way.

If local dealer carried .135 I would buy that instead of the .105.

Super Moderator
I've got a bulk spool of the Maxi Edge in .095 and lately it's been breaking where it exits the trimmer head. Think it may be getting old and brittle as my spool is probably 3-4 years old at this point. It was a mistake buying the landscapers bulk spool as I don't use enough to keep it fresh. Other than that it works A-OK.

Will probably pick up a new homeowner size spool later today and dump the bulk spool as it's frustrating enough never mind having to frequently re-feed the line due to breakage.

Premium Member
I've got a bulk spool of the Maxi Edge in .095 and lately it's been breaking where it exits the trimmer head. Think it may be getting old and brittle as my spool is probably 3-4 years old at this point. It was a mistake buying the landscapers bulk spool as I don't use enough to keep it fresh. Other than that it works A-OK.

Will probably pick up a new homeowner size spool later today and dump the bulk spool as it's frustrating enough never mind having to frequently re-feed the line due to breakage.
Tried a Maxi Edge or a comparable brand years ago, like you breaking where it exit.

That is when I went to Stihl X or Pentagon style .105 . First couple of years only bought a # ,,that got old because it seemed I was buying 2 packs a summer ,so I bought a 3 # spool 3 yrs ago , this spring bought a 5#.

Registered
I've accumulated 3 string trimmers of different brands, trying to find one i really like. One thing they now have in common is that I have converted all three to Oregon heads. Saves having to remember how to reload 3 different systems, and keep 3 types of string on hand. Oregon says it's a 20 second string change, and I found that's true.

And, it cuts well. I trim 5 acres that are fenced and cross-fenced for horses, plus a fenced riding arena, around 12 horse jumps in a grass arena, and also the typical yard every week.

Re-wrapping string really sucks. I really like the Oregon system.
oregon2.jpg

Senior GTT Super Slacker

Same thing happened to me. I now buy the middle of the road spool amount.

Registered
I'm currently running some sort of generic orange trimmer line from the big box store in my Stihl FS130R and it just doesn't hold up. I'm looking for something that will last in some tall weeds with briars that is also littered with sticks since this is in the woods. I've got blades and they do serve their purpose, but they just cut and lay down the plants where the string shreds much better.

What super heavy duty trimmer line are you running?

Here are some of my string alternatives that I use:

Those round blades like you have on the left are total garbage. I have a husqvarna 323R with a blade, but my blade is more like what you would find on a circular saw. It cuts really nice. I tried a blade like yours and it wouldn't. cut. anything. I suggest trying a different style of blade.

Registered
Those round blades like you have on the left are total garbage. I have a husqvarna 323R with a blade, but my blade is more like what you would find on a circular saw. It cuts really nice. I tried a blade like yours and it wouldn't. cut. anything. I suggest trying a different style of blade.
In my experience, the chainsaw or circular saw type blades cut fine. If there is a brace point on the trimmer guard that can be use to regulate the speed. Same principal as cutting wood on a Table saw, or woodworking saw. :thumbup1gif:

Registered
I run Stihl X-Line on my Deere XT120.
I ran some generic stuff when I first bought it, but after a few months, and lots of fence lines, it wasnt working out too well. The dealer talked me into it with a discount on it, and Ive been hooked ever since.
The X-line seems wear much better, and cuts heavier weeds with ease. It can cut some brush, but for heavy brush cutting I use a 3 pointed blade.
I 2nd this. Used to only be available in the big spools but I've seen smaller packages lately. I normally just buy the 5lb spool. Best stuff I have found.

Tried the Rotary twisted line once. Got a free sample that was just enough for one fill. Not enough to really test it. This line was much quieter than anything other than the Stihl quiet line. This is a round line with a spiral groove cut into it. The replacement wear bumper usually come wound with quite line. QL seems to last well but no one seems to stock it. So it was back to the X line. However it's way easier to hear when the noisy line is getting to short. That's when the line is likely to brake or be to short to self feed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
In my experience, the chainsaw or circular saw type blades cut fine. If there is a brace point on the trimmer guard that can be use to regulate the speed. Same principal as cutting wood on a Table saw, or woodworking saw. :thumbup1gif:
I like the circular chainsaw blade thingy. I was taking down 3" trees at an almost alarmingly fast pace with that thing.

I want to pick up some of the Stihl line, but my Stihl dealer closes at Noon and I didn't make it there. Mrs. Bubber and I went to Home Depot, so I picked up a pack of their finest Echo Black Diamond.

echo-string-trimmer-line-330095071-64_1000.jpg

I can't stand it. It's really hard to wind on the spool, it's super springy...a lot more than what I'm used to. It broke off at the head quite a bit. It'll be going in the trash.

Premium Member
I run a Echo speed-feed head on my Stihl KM131R Kombo. I throw Stihl X-line in it so I can trim grass or go into the brush line and take care of some light brush or prickers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts