Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting used to my new tractor and learning how to use it. I can see some uses for the fork frame that wouldn't involve actually picking something up on the forks, but rather lifting the load with a pair of slings off the forks or off a clevis in the receiver on the Artillian frame.

What size and length straps do you prefer for this type of work? Any tips for how you run the straps for the safest lift?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I use chain and some bolt on hooks on my bucket. As for the safest way to do it, that has more to do with what is being lifted then anything else.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about things that you'd rather not scratch with chain? That's where I'm thinking straps.

Also, I have the 4 in 1 bucket, so BOHs are not an option (I asked Ken)

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I used to use chains but I mainly use kens straps now the oblong rings fit right into the grooves on the artillian fork frame

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Most of the stuff I lift is chains with hooks on my bucket.

I don't know where we got it or what it is called for sure but we have a sling for our 3000w generator that I use with the FEL to put it up on the front of the camper. It is made with nylon straps and has 4 sets of hooks with PVC pipe spreaders. The hooks are all coated to not scratch the generator. Each of the 4 corners has 2 hooks (like those on a ratchet strap) that face opposite ways. This way you can hook the handle twice at each corner and it is less likely to slip off while you get it hooked up to the tractor and start lifting it.

It can be used for lots of stuff but we just use it for the smaller 3000w generator. The big generator has a cage which a lift point in the middle so I just use a chain with that one.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I think that it depends on what you're lifting. I have slings (from Ken!! :good2:) and a chain (and hooks from Ken! :good2:).

A couple of months ago I loaded a 7' rear blade on to my trailer by using the slings and forks. Last week I used the chain (and a chain shortener from Ken! :good2:) to lift the front of my zero-turn so I could change the blades on it.

There's no "right answer" as to how to run the slings/straps except to say make sure they don't slip and don't get under anything while you're moving/lifting. As to the best size of sling - I think mine are 6' and they work well. But, to be safe, I'd order a pair of each size that Kenny sells! You just never know!
:laugh:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Found it but they don't appear to have it anymore.

Product: LiftAll Generator Lifting Harness

It was made by LiftAll and they have a thumbnail photo of it. The company is still in business but haven't found any for sale in a quick 2 minute search. They do have other things that might fit into what you are trying to lift.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
How about things that you'd rather not scratch with chain? That's where I'm thinking straps.

Also, I have the 4 in 1 bucket, so BOHs are not an option (I asked Ken)
I don’t own much that I care about scratching.

If you want slings just find ones with an appropriate working load rating, and be careful to avoid sharp edges.

I actually have weld on hooks, and I’ve seen as many places to mount them as there are different tractors. All have pluses and minuses. And there is no law against mounting them on your forks if that’s the what you prefer.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I don’t own much that I care about scratching.

If you want slings just find ones with an appropriate working load rating, and be careful to avoid sharp edges.

I actually have weld on hooks, and I’ve seen as many places to mount them as there are different tractors. All have pluses and minuses. And there is no law against mounting them on your forks if that’s the what you prefer.
Another thing I have seen some people do is to drill a hole through a fork so they can mount a ball for moving a trailer. That might help prevent a strap from slipping off a fork as well. The ball can be removed easily for times where you want a traditional fork for moving pallets.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
I’ve gotten away from using chains over the past couple years.

For skidding logs and stuff like that I use a 20’ tow strap from Harbor Freight which is about $15. If it gets nicked up I can just replace it for that price. I just use a clevis on my drawbar.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lbs-capacity-2-in-x-20-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-61175.html

For lifting I have a couple of Ken’s ring slings. The rigs fit into the slots on the Artillian fork frame perfectly. Also use them on my bucket hooks.

I also have an assortment of actual lifting slings in different lengths. Can do lots of stuff with them. Harbor Freight has a good price on lifting slings.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Sling

With all that stuff - some in combination - I can do just about everything I need without getting the chains out.

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Thanks guys. I just ordered up some of Ken's ring slings!
Good choice you will like them

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,968 Posts
Thanks guys. I just ordered up some of Ken's ring slings!
I was just going to recommend those as well! Since getting the oblong ring slings I rarely use my chains. You will be very happy with them - especially if you already have some of Ken's bolt on hooks as they are a perfect match.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have used some clamp on forks and heavy duty ratchet straps to move my 1200 lb generator. Most of my moves are smaller and get chained.

For this I had the spread stabilizer moved to the tip of the forks and clamped it down to keep them from being pulled inward. The lift rings on the generator have a 5000 lb rating stenciled over each one. I didn't lift it any higher than I had to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
hmm.. where to begin

Lets just get this outta the way OSHA cant ^%$ me.

I deal with 1000# steel coils on a daily basis running my Gutter business.

Have 8 or 10 hoists in the shop 90' of track/trolly

2 gantry cranes @ the sawmill and a huge one in front of the shop.

I own @ least 50 slings..every color, length ,and width.

Some are loop type basket slings...most are strait with a small loop on each end.

Basicly it boils down to each individual lift...I do all these myself or with my nephew...every lift is a bit different.

I'm dealing with 1000# coils of sheet metal. Most are laying flat and need to be twisted 90* to mount on spool. Do this wrong and yo have a mess. Theres time to choke and offset the (loop through eye) and times not too. You can make a mess in a hurry if not thinking.

Keep ALL didgits clear of any straps /chains whatever.
Never place any part of your body you give a s&^t about under the load ..EVER

What is your Hoist..Manual /electric/air/other......all have there faults...I own all..been to that school...Hard Knocks.

Just be smart & safe...you can't overthink this..or you can ..Just think before any sizeable lift.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
hmm.. where to begin

Lets just get this outta the way OSHA cant ^%$ me.

I deal with 1000# steel coils on a daily basis running my Gutter business.

Have 8 or 10 hoists in the shop 90' of track/trolly

2 gantry cranes @ the sawmill and a huge one in front of the shop.

I own @ least 50 slings..every color, length ,and width.

Some are loop type basket slings...most are strait with a small loop on each end.

Basicly it boils down to each individual lift...I do all these myself or with my nephew...every lift is a bit different.

I'm dealing with 1000# coils of sheet metal. Most are laying flat and need to be twisted 90* to mount on spool. Do this wrong and yo have a mess. Theres time to choke and offset the (loop through eye) and times not too. You can make a mess in a hurry if not thinking.

Keep ALL didgits clear of any straps /chains whatever.
Never place any part of your body you give a s&^t about under the load ..EVER

What is your Hoist..Manual /electric/air/other......all have there faults...I own all..been to that school...Hard Knocks.

Just be smart & safe...you can't overthink this..or you can ..Just think before any sizeable lift.

:cheers:
Great advice.
I'll add a couple...
I always look at the load and ask myself... What could go wrong here?
Never assume that it will probably be alright.
Use softeners with straps.
If choking, make sure chokes are tight before tension begins.
Equipment shifting mid lift will slice through a strap before you can blink.
Use chain comealong to level load if needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts