Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost done with clearing the 8" snow we got Christmas Day when I suddenly got a sinking feeling. The left rear wheel had fallen off the tractor!

Could be due to my dealer not torquing the bolts when he installed the 2" wheel spacers. I put 4 hours on the tractor since install of the spacers and had planned to retorque the lug bolts after finishing storm clean up.

Anyway, I'm dead in the water with high temps today of 12 degrees and stiff wind and even colder for the next 8-10 days. Fortunately, it happened in my driveway and not a mile down the road where I was bound for to clear a neighbors drive. It was also 11:30 at night.

P1000932.jpg

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Ouch! I've had lug nuts come loose before, but no wheels fall off.

Sorry to say that you will probably need new lug bolts. The threads will probably be screwed up pretty badly.:banghead:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ouch! I've had lug nuts come loose before, but no wheels fall off.

Sorry to say that you will probably need new lug bolts. The threads will probably be screwed up pretty badly.:banghead:
It may have also messed up the bolt whole threads inside the spacers.

'17 John Deere 1025R FEL
'16 Cub Cadet Tank SZ 54" cut
(3) 80 Dump Cart
18 Dump Cart

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Oh,,,, NUTS!!:flag_of_truce:+

I purchased new tires at Sears a couple decades ago,,
they just finger installed the lug nuts,, I did not get 100 feet before I knew something was wrong,,,

Luckily,, we found the entire dozen nuts that fell off,,,

Boy was that store manager embarrassed,, :dunno:
on top of the fact that I had known him as a friend for 2 decades,,, :laugh:++++++++

That was my LAST Sears auto service,,,, thank goodness Sams Club :yahoo::yahoo:was there to take over,,,

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I assume you have already called the dealer??????

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
The good news, if there is any, is that the spacers threads are likely damaged, instead of the axle flange threads. The wheel spacer can be replaced easily and you can wait for new spacers and run without them. Axle replacement isn't a terrible job, but it's a lot bigger than simply replacing the wheel spacer.

That is assuming the wheel came off the spacer and not that the spacer is bolted to the inside of the wheel. It almost looks like there are bolts in the wheel still. Is that the case? If so, it would seem the spacer came off the axle, which likely means a bigger repair and more down time.

If the wheel did come off the spacer, then I would remove the wheel spacers and go without them until you can get a new one.

The more I think about this, the more I have a sinking feeling that the wheel spacer is bolted to the inside of the wheel which came off. It would make sense that he forgot to tighten the spacer onto the hub and then tightened the wheel onto the spacer. I hope that's not the case, but I bet it is.............

Please let us know and provide any other pictures you can......If it is off the spacer, a floor jack under the rear of the tractor and jack it up and reinstall the wheel if the axle flange is OK, just make sure to use the right tapered wheel bolts........

Now that I think about it, I wonder if he put the wheel studs on the spacer and the spacer mounting hardware out on the wheel? Some of the spacers use a different taper and that would explain the loosening if it was done that way.......It goes without saying, but I am saying it anyways, carefully check the right side as well........

That' why I like to do all of this stuff myself.....So I know it's done right. Sad to say................

The tractor isn't leaking any fuel is it? The tank is right up in that area where the wheel is laying inside the wheel well.......Stuff like this really sucks.......

·
Old Pa-pa
11,748 Posts
Almost done with clearing the 8" snow we got Christmas Day when I suddenly got a sinking feeling. The left rear wheel had fallen off the tractor!

Could be due to my dealer not torquing the bolts when he installed the 2" wheel spacers. I put 4 hours on the tractor since install of the spacers and had planned to retorque the lug bolts after finishing storm clean up.

Anyway, I'm dead in the water with high temps today of 12 degrees and stiff wind and even colder for the next 8-10 days. Fortunately, it happened in my driveway and not a mile down the road where I was bound for to clear a neighbors drive. It was also 11:30 at night.
Damn!!
That's a big deal, could have been a dangerous deal also.
I would definitely have a long talk with the dealer, shouldn't have happened.
Hope there's no damage except for a need of new lug bolts.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Wow sorry you had/ could take a picture like that......I would have muttered a few choice words:banghead:
Hope all gets fixed quickly and ends well.

·
Administrator
20,689 Posts
Did you do the re-torque/torque check after an hour or so of operation?

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Agree with others , sorry it happened , but like coaltrain and dieselshadow,,,did you retorque the spacers and the wheels.

Before doing anything after getting the wheel back on the tractor ,,check the tightness of the other wheel and spacer.

Does seem odd that you lost all the lug bolts or the spacer bolts within 4 hrs. Believe I would check with the dealer and see what their policy is just doing this work.

But again it still may fall in your lap ,,,if you didn't retorque the wheels and spacers. :dunno:

:munch::munch:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Guys, take it easy on the OP. He mentioned that he planned on checking the torque on the bolts just after this cleanup.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's a good thing you added that step/kickstand on your tractor, it could have been much worse without it being there. Hopefully it did not damage the axle flange.

·
Registered
22,725 Posts
Guys, the OP mentioned that he planned on checking the torque on the bolts just after this cleanup.
But that was after 4+ hours of operation.

This reminds me of when driving big truck and getting a tire changed at a shop. They had a rubber stamp they stamped on the invoice which read "I understand that the wheel nuts need retorqued after 100 miles. I can have them retorqued at this shop at no charge. If I choose not to I assume full responsibility of the possibility of the wheel coming off" which I had to sign.

100 miles - that is equal to 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
763 Posts
First, I am really sorry for you. It's always a bummer to have equipment down. I appreciate that you found the positive in this (you were in your driveway, not a mile away). I would anticipate that your dealer will rise to the occasion and make things right. Thanks for sharing the picture. Here's hoping you day get's better from this point on....

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Do you think they could have over torqued those spacers and stripped them out? Or totally forget to tighten them in the first place?

Coming loose is one thing, coming off the tractor is completely different.

Edit:. Looking at the picture again it almost looks like the spacer is still attached to the wheel??

1 - 20 of 441 Posts