Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some steel wheel spacers from Motorsport Tech for my 3046r. 2” front and 4” rear. With them being steel, I assume they will rust. I bought some JD Green paint. Any reason why they shouldn’t be painted?

Also... I believe I read somewhere that spacers on the 3046 will void the warranty. Anyone know why? And has anyone on here installed wheel spacers on this tractor without any long term affects? The tractor is so tipsy without them. I’d rather risk what I would assume is a rare chance of damage over risking a roll over. But, I also don’t know much... so, enlighten me!

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
You won’t have any trouble just the way they so I wouldn’t worry about painting them.
Can’t help with the other question.

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
Raw steel? I'd absolutely paint them. I got the aluminum ones for my 3720, so I left them o'natural.

Yes, JD has officially made the statement about not using spacers on the newer 30xxR series, but many dealers still install them and many guys still use them. You could/should ask your dealer for his thoughts, just in case..

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I installed the 2" Motorsport Tech "Steel" spacers on my 3320. I did spray them with self-etching zinc phosphate primer before installing them.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
Raw steel? I'd absolutely paint them. I got the aluminum ones for my 3720, so I left them o'natural.
I didn't even give that a thought, mine are also aluminum but I guess I made the mistake of assuming the steel would also come painted. :dunno:

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts

Yes, JD has officially made the statement about not using spacers on the newer 30xxR series, but many dealers still install them and many guys still use them. You could/should ask your dealer for his thoughts, just in case..
Ken, what’s the deal with the 3 series? Why no wheel spacers?

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
I don't have the "official" reason, I just know they no longer approve them.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I don't have the "official" reason, I just know they no longer approve them.
Speculation on my part..... Must be a loading issue with the Axle..... There's no other obvious good reason not to approve the use of spacers.....

Sincerely

Reactions: Big and Kennyd

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I went with 3" steel solid centers all for added weight, and I did paint mine JD green.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Aluminum 3" spacers here W/No paint. Dealer said it was fine. Wouldn't care anyhow, one roll over and that cost goes out the window as I have hills, stream and other areas that could tip the tractor.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Aluminum 3" spacers here W/No paint. Dealer said it was fine. Wouldn't care anyhow, one roll over and that cost goes out the window as I have hills, stream and other areas that could tip the tractor.

I too knew in advance about that JD tech bulletin spacers concerns.

I 100% agree with you, I feel the 3Rs are just not stable enough without spacers, for off camber operations .

I found that even on flat ground the spacer made a huge difference in control and ride comfort.

IE. Without spacers mowing on flat ground I would get tossed side to side when hitting bumps, mole holes, etc. .
My 3" spacer cured a lot of that getting tossed around side to side business.

Spacers simply make these 3Rs so much more stable and safer IMO, that I too would gladly assume any mechanical premature wear cost if there is in fact any such thing, to be far more safe and comfortable using my 3Rs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts