Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cast iron starter weight (~70lbs) and two ~50lb wheel weights on each wheel. I am considering adding fluid to the tires to be used with the weights.

With a 26x12-12 holding 10 gallons for a 75% fill that would be 84lbs of water. So each tire would be at ~250lbs with water and wheel weights.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
My dealer told me when they filled mine that they got 110lb/side in the rears of my 1025R.

For more traction (if needed) I plan on just putting the ballast box or boxblade on my tractor rather than wheel weights.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a cast iron starter weight (~70lbs) and two ~50lb wheel weights on each wheel. I am considering adding fluid to the tires to be used with the weights.

With a 26x12-12 holding 10 gallons for a 75% fill that would be 84lbs of water. So each tire would be at ~250lbs with water and wheel weights.

Any thoughts?
What do you plan to be doing with your tractor that makes you consider you need more rear weight?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you plan to be doing with your tractor that makes you consider you need more rear weight?
I have some rather steep hills I cut. I drive up and back down. With 300lbs on the front and the wheel weights I still get some slight tire spin going up the hills. Hoping this will eliminate the spin.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I have some rather steep hills I cut. I drive up and back down. With 300lbs on the front and the wheel weights I still get some slight tire spin going up the hills. Hoping this will eliminate the spin.
Wheel weights would definitely help with that - those must be some pretty serious hills as I haven't had any issues at all with tire spinning in 2wd, even when the grass is wet (and I've got some decent hills - big enough we go sledding down them)

Do you just have the mower on your tractor or other implements as well?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try tire chains first.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheel weights would definitely help with that - those must be some pretty serious hills as I haven't had any issues at all with tire spinning in 2wd, even when the grass is wet (and I've got some decent hills - big enough we go sledding down them)

Do you just have the mower on your tractor or other implements as well?
I have wheel weights already. I run my wheel weights (340lbs) and 300 lbs of front suitcase weights. With the tractor in 4wd and the diff locked I get just enough wheel spin to tear some of the grass.

Try tire chains first.
I don't want to deal with those as I don't really want to dig into the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I have wheel weights already. I run my wheel weights (340lbs) and 300 lbs of front suitcase weights. With the tractor in 4wd and the diff locked I get just enough wheel spin to tear some of the grass.

I don't want to deal with those as I don't really want to dig into the ground.
I'd add the fluid for more weight if you think you need it.. I was a little concerned about if I get a flat tire (fluid leaking out), but then I thought about the fact that I've NEVER had a flat on my lawn tractor in all it's years of use.

That must be some hill. Have you tried it with the FEL/ballast box on.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
I have some really decent hills too and so far I don't have wheel spin going up or down no matter what I do or pull. I don't need to use diff. lock either. I have all 4 of my tires filled. I get wheel spin when I'm going side to side and want to turn up hill but that's about it but just going up or down, no problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gallons in a tire

Any thoughts?
I'm just curious where you got your info that the tires hold 10 gallons for a 75% fill. I called RimGuard yesterday and they told me that a 26x12-12 holds 8.3 gallons with a 75% fill. I'm planning on buying 20 gallons of RimGuard tomorrow and filling my tires next week when my valve comes in from Tractor Supply. I took my rear tires in this morning to my local Mavis Tire dealer and they changed out my valve stems from rubber to metal as per RimGuards advice. They only charged me $15 so I gave the man a $20 bill and told him to buy a beer with the change. Nice guys. I think they found it entertaining.

At any rate I'm going to fill the tires just above the level of the top of the rim. I'm covered either way with the 20 gallons.

RimGuard weighs 10.7 to 11 lbs. per gallon so at 8.3 gallons I'll have about 90 lbs additional weight per tire. I also have one 50 lb wheel weight on each tire so all tolled I'll have an extra 280 lbs on the rear axle.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just curious where you got your info that the tires hold 10 gallons for a 75% fill. I called RimGuard yesterday and they told me that a 26x12-12 holds 8.3 gallons with a 75% fill. I'm planning on buying 20 gallons of RimGuard tomorrow and filling my tires next week when my valve comes in from Tractor Supply. I took my rear tires in this morning to my local Mavis Tire dealer and they changed out my valve stems from rubber to metal as per RimGuards advice. They only charged me $15 so I gave the man a $20 bill and told him to buy a beer with the change. Nice guys. I think they found it entertaining.

At any rate I'm going to fill the tires just above the level of the top of the rim. I'm covered either way with the 20 gallons.

RimGuard weighs 10.7 to 11 lbs. per gallon so at 8.3 gallons I'll have about 90 lbs additional weight per tire. I also have one 50 lb wheel weight on each tire so all tolled I'll have an extra 280 lbs on the rear axle.
I read it somewhere on the internet.....they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true....right?

Not surprised if it is only 8.3 gallons

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I filled my tires myself with RV antifreeze. Its been awhile since I did it, but I think I put 9 gallons in per tire. :unknown: I may have spilled some.:mocking:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Spilling Antifreeze

I filled my tires myself with RV antifreeze. Its been awhile since I did it, but I think I put 9 gallons in per tire. :unknown: I may have spilled some.:mocking:
That's funny. I went to my RimGuard dealer today and we did manage to spill some. It was almost comical. The RimGuard is in a 500 gallon plastic tank that was in the shop. The technician told the salesman that he was going to move the tank outside with a forklift as he didn't want to upset his fellow workers with the RimGuard that we would be spilling getting it into my four 5 gallon containers. It definitely has an odor to it -- not as bad as a skunk but it does smell. Fortunately it washes off fairly easily with water. The technician, a nice young kid, hooked up a pump to the tank which he ran to get into my jugs. In hindsight I think it would have been better to elevate the tank and let gravity do the work. The pump pushed the liquid in short but powerful bursts. Worked great until you got to the top of the container and the pump only ran at one speed -- full out. That's when the messes occurred. He said they usually end up with a few gallons on the floor whenever they fill tires. I'm thinking I can do better when I do it next week. Time will tell.:pray:

·
Registered
46 Posts
RimGuard Installed

Yesterday I got around to putting the RimGuard in my rear tires on my 1025R and I weighed them as I was doing it. Each wheel initially weighed 50lbs. After loading the RimGuard one wheel weighed in at 153lbs and the other weighed in at 156lbs, which means I put 103lbs of RimGuard in one wheel and 106lbs in the other. I also have 50lb iron weights for each wheel. So in addition to the 100lbs of original wheel weight I have another 309lbs of added weight (100 for the wheel weights and 209 for the RimGuard).

If the RimGuard weighs 11lbs a gallon I ended up with about 9.5 gallons in each tire -- more than the 8.3 gallons that RimGuard told me I would need. I'm glad I bought 20 gallons to do the job. I could maybe put a little bit more in but didn't want to chance covering the stem valves and also wanted to give myself a little leeway since the valves have to be at the top position when adding air.

It really was fairly simple to do. My local dealer wanted to charge me $300 so I saved about $200 as he charged me $4.10 per gallon for the 20 gallons that I bought.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Probably feels just a tad more stable now? :)

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
More Stable

I'm sure it will. Haven't had time to run around on it yet. Has to be better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts