Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased two sets of wheel weights from the dealer and the mounting hardware. Went to install them and the bolts hardly make it through to the end of the nut. Took the hardware back and got a replacement thinking I had the wrong length and same issue when I installed them a second time. Reading a few posts and some literature, the common recommendation is grade 5 carriage bolts - I have not been able to find anything except for grade 2, Zinc coated carriage bolts in the lumber aisle, unless I want to pay a huge amount from Mcmaster.

1. Does the grade of the bolt really matter in supporting 120lbs of combined weight on one tire which is tightened against the rim with 4 bolts?
2. JD Mounting kit for 2 sets of weights only calls for two bolts to connect to the rim - why? and any reason why I should not buy 8 - 8" carriage bolts and on each side have all 4 bolts anchored to the rim?
3. Dealer Recommended buying a length of Threaded rod found at a box store and cut it to size, anyone think this option is better than the carriage bolts, or is that just an old timer thing to do?

·
Registered
93 Posts
grade 2 bolts and threaded rod are pretty soft. I hardly use Grade 2 for anything.
I would find the same grade as the Deere bolts.

·
Premium Member
10,128 Posts
Grade 2 would be just fine with 2 of them and absolutely with 4 IMO. Grade 5 would be better, trouble is finding grade 5 carriage bolts at the local store. Usually pick them up at the Deere dealer,

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Not sure on a 2025, but the wheel weights I've seen register and are supported by the rim. The bolts simply stop them from falling off and don't not see the weight of the wheel weight. 2 Gr 2 bolts or threaded rod will be fine! Bob

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I bought carriage bolts and nylock nuts at Lowes for my wheel weights. Have less than $10 total in hardware.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,422 Posts
I purchased two sets of wheel weights from the dealer and the mounting hardware. Went to install them and the bolts hardly make it through to the end of the nut.
You are at least the third person that has had this problem on GTT. You'd think JD would correct this issue, or maybe not. :D

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Grade 2 should be fine for wheel weights. I used 4 , 1/2” bolts to mount 2 sets on my 1026r. 4, 1/2” grade 2 bolts should be able to hold a lot more than 100lbs , even if the came from China.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Just for some values/numbers, a 1/2" Gr 2 fastener will hold 14,530 lbs. in tension before it breaks and 8,718 lbs. before it shears! These are actual strengths and NOT allowable working loads. Bob

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I used grade 2 bolts and never had a problem. The weight has been banged around on plow days and never loosen or broke. I did however add a rubber flange gasket to the weight to keep the rims from being scratched.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
You are at least the third person that has had this problem on GTT. You'd think JD would correct this issue, or maybe not. :D
Hah! When I went to my dealer to get a filter kit I had to tell them about the newer air filter and the one in the kit is the wrong one. Been a good couple years since the 1025R air filter debacle happened and they still haven’t updated the kits

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.