Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of you guys use wheel weights? I have a JD 3320 and have been thinking of adding some. I currently do not have my tires filled but always have a heavy implement on the back. I don't want to fill my tires because sometimes I'm on soft turf and want to be able to take the weight off. Are they easy to put on and take off? How much do they cost and weigh. I can't seem to find much info on them online. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Do many of you guys use wheel weights? I have a JD 3320 and have been thinking of adding some. I currently do not have my tires filled but always have a heavy implement on the back. I don't want to fill my tires because sometimes I'm on soft turf and want to be able to take the weight off. Are they easy to put on and take off? How much do they cost and weigh. I can't seem to find much info on them online. Thanks guys!
I have 2 110 pound weight on each side. With 2 people and an impact wrench they aren't too bad to get on and off....they are just heavy and awkward. The first weight bolts to the rim, and the second weight bolts to the first weight.
There are 55 pound ones also (I think), but I haven't seen them.
I think they were about 1.30 per pound.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have one each ~70lbs weight on each side, and can attach another set of those if I want. Mine are the turtle style weights and I got them from my dealer for a very good price. He ships stuff almost all over the US. if you want, I PM you the info.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
Depending on your rear tires there are two weights available.
For R1 tires T19293 110lbs
For R4 tires BM17968 52lbs

I run weights full time.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I also run iron, but mine are mounted on the inside of the rim. They would not be as easy to remove as you have to remove the rim first. I have 220 on each rim.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 0.02

Let me weigh in on this. Pun intended. Like everything else there are pros and cons to filling your wheels. It’s a lot easier to take iron wheel weights on and off than to empty and refill the wheels with liquid. Unless it’s done correctly filling your wheels will corrode them. Again, unless it’s done right (filled 75% or so) the tractor will bounce at speed and rock when you stop and change direction. Even if done right there is more of a flywheel effect when starting stopping and changing direction like loader work and worse if not filled correctly. All of that is harder on the brakes and drive line. If you need to service your wheels, change width, or servicing the tractor, it’s a lot easier to remove iron wheel weights, take off, and move around a wheel that is not filled with liquid. Pros to filling the tires are you can add a lot of weight without special weights to fit your wheels and much more weight can be added without tire load rating penalty, and it’s cheap. Since you are concerned about “soft turf” go with the iron wheel weights. I bought two 110lbs wheel weights for the 3720 I just ordered and they list for $277.60 each. These should fit your tractor. JD also has the 50lbs weights for $140.80 each. You will also need attaching hardware. I’ll post pictures of the weights when I get the tractor if you want.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I bought 4 of the JD 110 lb weights for my 990 looking to put 2 on each wheel. They are expensive!!! List per 110 lb wheel weight part# T19293 was $277.64 and I bought them for $250.57 ($2.28 per lb) with the Green Farm Parts 5% discount for GTT members. They were with free shipping from GFP. You may want to look at Lonestar weights and castings in TX who have weights that will fit as well. This reference is not original from me. Someone else in another thread on GTT posted about this company. The weight would be the LS301 for the 24" wheel. (they do not make any smaller wheel weights at this time) They are 107 lb for each or 214 lb for a pair and they are stack-able just like JD's and they can come in JD yellow as well. You will have shipping unless your located in their free zone and you buy enough weights. When it came to the wheel weights my calculation showed that I would have saved a couple $100 if I would have purchased from them instead of purchasing the JD weights and that included the shipping to NJ from TX. I wish I would have heard about them sooner.

They have suitcase weights as well but after Kenny did the calculations with the shipping it was 6 and 1 or a half dozen the other in just buying the JD weights but maybe if you are closer to them you can save some money. Below is the link to the company.

Lonestar Wheel Weights

Reactions: ElWood

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I personally would NOT want to take wheel weights on and off very often. Once a year when I had the GT was enough for me and they were much lighter than what you need.

I agree on soft turf and have that issue with my SCUT as well so I want something hanging off the back that's easy to remove.

Reactions: ElWood

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me weigh in on this. Pun intended. Like everything else there are pros and cons to filling your wheels. It’s a lot easier to take iron wheel weights on and off than to empty and refill the wheels with liquid. Unless it’s done correctly filling your wheels will corrode them. Again, unless it’s done right (filled 75% or so) the tractor will bounce at speed and rock when you stop and change direction. Even if done right there is more of a flywheel effect when starting stopping and changing direction like loader work and worse if not filled correctly. All of that is harder on the brakes and drive line. If you need to service your wheels, change width, or servicing the tractor, it’s a lot easier to remove iron wheel weights, take off, and move around a wheel that is not filled with liquid. Pros to filling the tires are you can add a lot of weight without special weights to fit your wheels and much more weight can be added without tire load rating penalty, and it’s cheap. Since you are concerned about “soft turf” go with the iron wheel weights. I bought two 110lbs wheel weights for the 3720 I just ordered and they list for $277.60 each. These should fit your tractor. JD also has the 50lbs weights for $140.80 each. You will also need attaching hardware. I’ll post pictures of the weights when I get the tractor if you want.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing this helpful information. I never considered that the fluid in the tires could be felt when operating the tractor. That is an issue for me. I'm going to go with the wheel weights. Please post some pics when you get yours, so I can check them out.

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
I never considered that the fluid in the tires could be felt when operating the tractor. That is an issue for me.
My tires are filled and I've never felt the liquid surge back and forth or cause the tractor to rock, anything. Unless you remove the wheel/tire assembly, you'd never know they were filled. I'm sure as you get into larger wheels and tires this might be different, but for small to medium tires I think this is a non-issue. I'm very happy with liquid (essentially windshield wiper fluid) in my tires and highly recommend it if you are looking to add weight for relatively low price.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My tires are filled and I've never felt the liquid surge back and forth or cause the tractor to rock, anything. Unless you remove the wheel/tire assembly, you'd never know they were filled. I'm sure as you get into larger wheels and tires this might be different, but for small to medium tires I think this is a non-issue. I'm very happy with liquid (essentially windshield wiper fluid) in my tires and highly recommend it if you are looking to add weight for relatively low price.
I have never felt anything either. Had fluid in 26" ags and the rear R4s on my 2520. Like you said, when you remove the wheels/tires and rock them back and forth by hand then yes, but once mounted on the tractor and run the machine back and forth, you dont feel it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
And here I come again with a newby question. When I plow (with a single bottom plow) do I want the tires to be as heavy as possible, or is a lesser weight better?

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
And here I come again with a newby question. When I plow (with a single bottom plow) do I want the tires to be as heavy as possible, or is a lesser weight better?
You want traction. Mold board plows will pull down on the rear axle as they dig in giving you extra force for traction but plows will tend to lift front axles so run front weights to compensate.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You want traction. Mold board plows will pull down on the rear axle as they dig in giving you extra force for traction but plows will tend to lift front axles so run front weights to compensate.
And front weights could either be suitcase weights on the bracket, or a loaded bucket?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
On my old 40U, I don't think the tractor even knew the plow was back there weight-wise, but when the plow really dug in the rear tires would spin. I definitely could have used some extra rear weight on the 40U (the rear tires weren't filled, and I didn't have wheel weights). When I was playing around with the 2520, the rears only slipped once or twice and when I put it in 4WD I didn't have any problems. I had the loader on, and my rears tires are filled with washer fluid.

I want to say I also have never noticed any jostling from the fluid in the rears on my 2520. I ran the tractor for almost 50 hours before putting the fluid in, and about 30 hours since the rears were filled. Even running the loader and reversing direction often, I don't feel the liquid bouncing around. I think on a tractor with larger tires you might notice it. These CUTs don't really have very big tires. I have an old Farmall F14 in my garage, and those tires are almost 5' tall. I bet you might notice fluid sloshing around in them.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Growing up my dad had 2 different utility tractors (MF and IH) with CaCl and you could never tell that they had fluid in them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts