Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me, I must ask the big advantage of wheels on a landscape rake? I mean...it's up in the air for non-use and down for use? Would someone please straighten me out w/this one? :think:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am new to the landscape rake. Bought one last year for this coming spring.

But the wheel are there for a "depth gauge" for the rake.

Allows you to just skim the surface for leaves, branches and the like (of course not as good and a hand rake)

Go down and inch or two to losses up and level a layer of soil

Or even deeper to pull up and out the rocks.

The design of a landscape rake is to dig into the ground. And inherently pull itself deeper into the soil. The wheels help keep a consistent depth. Without constant adjustment on the 3pt hitch.

When looking to buy mine, I was suggested to get them by fellow members. You don't always need them but nice to have when you do.

Hope that helps, and someone please correct me if I am off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I borrowed one last fall from a buddy...8 footer used a 35 Massey......worked great for cleaning up the mess of rocks and debris i had left after clearing 2 acres of old dead trees. It did an excellent job, however it didn't have any wheels and frankly I couldn't see a need for them as the rake just floated over the ground doing an excellent job of cleaning up. I didn't have any issues w/digging in.

I have ordered one for my lil 26r though as I will have allot of use for it this year as I have much remaining work to do. Still waiting for 2-3' of snow to melt. I think I just may price out a set of wheels though. Thanks for the feedback....greatly appreciated! :good2:

Reactions: UBNT

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sawdust is on the money get the wheels. I use mine to level my drive way (gravel). After using the FEL to put down the gravel I end up with a lot of low and high spots.When the front of the tractor moves over the high spots the rake digs down almost making it more uneven. Then when the front end finds a valley the rake goes up.With the wheels it does act as a depth Gage filling the low spots and taking down the high spots. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

·
Registered
770 Posts
Set the draft control speed to "Float", and tighten up the upper link to increase the tine angle, and wheels aren't needed. Just let the weight of the rake do it's thing.

I can see having the wheels for use on machines, without any sort of decent draft control however

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
Set the draft control speed to "Float", and tighten up the upper link to increase the tine angle, and wheels aren't needed. Just let the weight of the rake do it's thing.

I can see having the wheels for use on machines, without any sort of decent draft control however

None of the sCUT's or CUT's from JD have any sort of draft control.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've been thinking about purchasing a landscape rake for my 3320. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I do like the wheels but don't know if they're necessary.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
I had an 8' York Rake with rippers and gauge wheels. Very capable attachment which I used with / without the rippers and gauge wheels depending on what I needed to do with it. Lent it to my ex father in law and never saw it again...........

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
770 Posts
Land Pride , but with any of these top of the line rakes, they are biiiiiiiiiiig $$$$.:bye:
It's better to pay up front, than on a replacement later, and have parts as well as support available if they are needed.

Heck, if ya decide to sell you can still get decent $$$ back, or hand 'em off to the Grand kids to try and wear out.

Good impliments are better than a savings account. The Dollar depeciates, and steel and good impliments just get more expensive.
Ya can't even get 2% interest at the bank.
There's just no point in wasting time and money on cheap chineese crap.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've been thinking about purchasing a landscape rake for my 3320. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I do like the wheels but don't know if they're necessary.
I bought a 6' King Kutter landscape rake last summer. I have other King Kutter products and like them it works great! They are priced very good and built tough.

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
I have got a LR1072 frontier rake and I am putting on a wheel kit to be able to do kind of finish work on properties. I saw one and I like it very much.
Capnbill--is this what ur getting. frontier stone rake.jpg

heres another pic. frontier stone rake pic #4.jpg the only complaint I have with the kit is-the locking collars-sometimes u just can't seem to get the set screws tight enough to stay-other then that-wonderful piece of add on. I bought the add on kit around 2010 roughly for a little over $300-IIRC.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Capnbill--is this what ur getting. View attachment 147809

heres another pic. View attachment 147817 the only complaint I have with the kit is-the locking collars-sometimes u just can't seem to get the set screws tight enough to stay-other then that-wonderful piece of add on. I bought the add on kit around 2010 roughly for a little over $300-IIRC.
Nice rake set-up! A rake with wheel kit is my next purchase...gonna use it here shortly to prep some yard areas for seeding. Right now I'm trying to decide on the width that'll work best in between the trees in my yard...60" or 72".

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
I have a King Kutter 7' with the wheel kit. I have used this on my Kubota L39 after I take the hoe off, and previously my Ford 2110. We used the rake doing final grades for landscaping for new homes we built after the dozer spread the loam out.. This rake paid for itself many times over vs people with hand rakes!. The wheel kit in my opinion is necessary when grading out small rocks/sticks prepping for grass seed. The rake angles so you can funnel stones etc. to the edge of the property to be picked up very handily. The smaller the Machine the smaller you should go with the rake but you want the rake wider then the machine. They can be to big! A nice feature with the King Kutter and maybe they all do this but you can turn the rake backwards to push up hill to avoid traversing a steep hill sideways if necessary and get to the edge of the property lines. Very handy and I will say this rake is very heavy.. If you don't use the wheels it will dig to china if you let it or you can keep fooling around with the hydraulic adjustment .. I have also never bent any tines with this rake. I really have no need right now for this piece of equipment but I'll keep it, one never knows!

·
Registered
453 Posts
So I'd be best served to go with a 6' rake on a 1025r, providing that it covers the wheels at max angle? A 5' rake probably isn't wide enough when angled, judging by how far my 60" mmm sticks out past the tires.

Reactions: tj1 and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
So I'd be best served to go with a 6' rake on a 1025r, providing that it covers the wheels at max angle? A 5' rake probably isn't wide enough when angled, judging by how far my 60" mmm sticks out past the tires.
IMHO, at full angle,,, you do not loose more than 3 inches of width,,,

The rake angles very little. Not much angle is needed to side deliver the trash.

That said,, I have no problem using a 7 foot rake behind the JD 650.

I did the yard this year for the first time (winter drop of branches) the rake was almost perfect.
The rake also moved the leaves that did not blow away,,, :thumbup1gif:

I did not windrow,,, I just pulled the rake straight.

The remaining small twigs will be ground by the mower,, typically 1/4" etc,,,

Reactions: tj1 and BigJim55
1 - 20 of 31 Posts