Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I use the low gear on the Gator 590i? I blew a transmission in one of my old ATVs by running it on high all the time. Turns out you were supposed to switch it to low for hill climbing. I am just curios if the low on the Gator is for the same thing.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
From the Owners Manual.Did you get one?
-------------------------------------------------------
Using Travel Controls

1. Stop machine.
  2. Allow engine to come to a low idle speed.
  3. IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not shift gears when vehicle is moving or with engine running above low idle speed. Push down brake to stop vehicle motion and engage shift lever with a firm positive action.
    Gears can grind when shifting or shifting can become hard.
    NOTE: Always shift into low range when operating on wet or uneven terrain, or when towing or pushing heavy loads.

MXT016176-UN-28OCT15
    Select a gear position:
    • Forward - Push transaxle shift lever (A) up to either High (B) or Low (C) range.
    • Reverse - Pull lever down to Reverse (D) gear.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When should I use the low gear on the Gator 590i? I blew a transmission in one of my old ATVs by running it on high all the time. Turns out you were supposed to switch it to low for hill climbing. I am just curios if the low on the Gator is for the same thing.
Yes use low when ascending or descending hills, uneven or soft ground and pushing or pulling loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I use low when pulling heavy loads, climbing and descending big hills or when I am just going or want to go real slow. I also use low a lot when pushing snow if it real wet.

·
Registered
926 Posts
On our way from Luxembourg back home last year, we drove this way (Bundesstraße) through the Eiffel - and the camping trailer has a weight of 400 kg (800+ lbs). Doris was driving - in high range and without any probs...
gator+bamby-eiffel.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
CVT transmissions eat belts when under heavy loads in high gear and going slow. The reason is the belt is running low on the sheaves. As you increase speed the belt rides higher and thus more belt is taking the load. So using low range helps bring the belt higher and reduce the stress.

It's not about horsepower it's about belt stress. Save your belt and use low range.

My rule is if climbing or towing under about 10mph then I use low range.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Empty or light (just me) High range even when its very steep .I need the extra wheel speed in the loose stuff (locked rear and 4wd)........... loaded heavy I use low and don't attempt the real steep, as it would
likely require using the winch..or burn the belt trying

1 - 9 of 9 Posts