Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the optimal time to trade in your lawn tractor if there is one. I have a x350 and it’s going on 4 years old. It has 200 hours on it and I think the warranty is up on it this year. I know the hours are low and that’s cause I have a 1025r that I use on occasion for mowing. if I remember correctly Deere usually comes out with their incentives for lawn tractors in February. As far as my trade in and incentives are concerned am I ahead to update at some point or run it until I need another replacement and just repair it as needed. What do you guys think makes financial sense?

·
Premium Member
13,650 Posts
The best time to trade in? NEVER. JD's X-series incentives are simply a fixed discount and they won't give you jack for your used machine. You'll do much better to sell your X350 privately.

Now as for if you should get rid of your machine at all.... 4 years old and 200 hrs? Heck, that's like new. Has it been problematic for you? If not, I say run it till it quits. With proper maintenance you should be able to run that machine for 1500-2000 hrs. My current X500 is 7 years old and the 175 Hydro before that was well over 25 years old.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
If you just prefer something under warranty spring is the best time to buy new and sell used.

If your trying to be economical and haven’t over used the x350 your best plan is keep it another 5-15 years even if you pay the dealer to do the maintenance and repairs it’s still the easiest on your wallet.

Your losing $250-500 a year right now in equity, but are very close to bottoming out minus damages. A high hour first year x300 (2006?) still brings 12-1500 in my area with everything working and looking right.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you just prefer something under warranty spring is the best time to buy new and sell used.

If your trying to be economical and haven’t over used the x350 your best plan is keep it another 5-15 years even if you pay the dealer to do the maintenance and repairs it’s still the easiest on your wallet.

Your losing $250-500 a year right now in equity, but are very close to bottoming out minus damages. A high hour first year x300 (2006?) still brings 12-1500 in my area with everything working and looking right.
Good Info. Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best time to sell or trade anything is 5 minutes before the engine locks up.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
you must have impeccable timing :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Sevenhills1952

·
Registered
164 Posts
Generally speaking, you usually don’t get a good deal on trade in. Best way to get top dollar on your trade in, is buy something dealer has on lot. Dealers are much more willing to ‘deal” if you are buying their inventory on the lot. And don’t forget anything you get fore trade reduces your sales tax on new purchase. Depending on the state and what new model you get it can result in an additional 300-500 dollars in saving on your total cost.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,468 Posts
I'm still running our 1994 Wheelhorse, if the x350 has no major issues, I'd keep it.

Your losing $250-500 a year right now in equity, but are very close to bottoming out minus damages.
I have to wonder what the lose is on a new machine?

Reactions: Deerefarmer

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Generally speaking, you usually don’t get a good deal on trade in. Best way to get top dollar on your trade in, is buy something dealer has on lot. Dealers are much more willing to ‘deal” if you are buying their inventory on the lot. And don’t forget anything you get fore trade reduces your sales tax on new purchase. Depending on the state and what new model you get it can result in an additional 300-500 dollars in saving on your total cost.
This is pretty accurate. I traded my 580 in the spring against an in stock X738. Dealer gave me full value on the machine against the 738 and I was happy. Spring time is when you'll see the best deals.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I was talking with my dealer a while back on trading in my X585 with all attachments on a 3025E. He said he would give me around $7000 or was its $7500 something like that. The benefit in trading in is that it reduces the cost of the new machine which reduces the sales tax. However he said I should list it on private sale for $10K and depending on the time of year I might get around $8-10K for everything. At least try and throw it out there and see what it gets. While I wouldn't get the sales tax savings, it really didn't matter that much if I am selling it for $1K or more over the trade in price.

Some of that sales tax stuff might differ by state.

Reactions: GreenBlood

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Just from the looking around I've done, most dealers don't want trade-ins unless they already have a known buyer for whatever you've got.. Tractor dealers don't operate under the same system that most car dealers work under.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Premium Member
13,650 Posts
This is pretty accurate. I traded my 580 in the spring against an in stock X738. Dealer gave me full value on the machine against the 738 and I was happy. Spring time is when you'll see the best deals.
Did he sell you the X738 at list price or did you also get a discount on the new machine?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Just from the looking around I've done, most dealers don't want trade-ins unless they already have a known buyer for whatever you've got.. Tractor dealers don't operate under the same system that most car dealers work under.
Another possible option is a consignment service. I don't know if they charge for this or what but I have looked at my dealer's website and will see machines that are in the used machine section on consignment. If nothing else it is more advertising outside the normal Craigslist option.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Another possible option is a consignment service. I don't know if they charge for this or what but I have looked at my dealer's website and will see machines that are in the used machine section on consignment. If nothing else it is more advertising outside the normal Craigslist option.
True that! The consignment thing can be a huge advantage. You don't have to be there to show it (the dealer will do that for you) and usually don't even have to manage the transaction. You drop off, the dealer sells it and you swing by and pick up the cash (or check).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s true about the sales tax on the difference instead of the whole price. my X350 I have I paid around 3000. for it and Minnesota tax is just under 8%.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was talking with my dealer a while back on trading in my X585 with all attachments on a 3025E. He said he would give me around $7000 or was its $7500 something like that. The benefit in trading in is that it reduces the cost of the new machine which reduces the sales tax. However he said I should list it on private sale for $10K and depending on the time of year I might get around $8-10K for everything. At least try and throw it out there and see what it gets. While I wouldn't get the sales tax savings, it really didn't matter that much if I am selling it for $1K or more over the trade in price.

Some of that sales tax stuff might differ by state.
So that being said what would a x350 that I paid 3000. for be worth now 4 years later with just over 200 hours on it. The condition is at the very least good to a little above average.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a X300 that was 4 years old before this X350 and the dealer I bought it from called me and and was wondering how it was doing and if it needed any warranty work done before the warranty expired. Then he told me what it was worth and wanted to know if I’d be interested in trading it and they would go over it with a fine tooth comb and charge it under the warranty and take it in for trade.

Reactions: sennister

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
So that being said what would a x350 that I paid 3000. for be worth now 4 years later with just over 200 hours on it. The condition is at the very least good to a little above average.
I am not good at pricing them. You could look around craigslist and other used machine sales places to get an idea of what others are asking and start there. Another option is stop by the dealer and ask what they would give on trade, then add 8% to that as a rock bottom price. As that is what you would get taken off the price of a new machine factoring in the sales tax reduction. Anything more than that number is a better deal to private sale it. Anything below that is a better option on trade. Heck I might even add 10% to that trade in number to save the time and hassle of a private sale.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not good at pricing them. You could look around craigslist and other used machine sales places to get an idea of what others are asking and start there. Another option is stop by the dealer and ask what they would give on trade, then add 8% to that as a rock bottom price. As that is what you would get taken off the price of a new machine factoring in the sales tax reduction. Anything more than that number is a better deal to private sale it. Anything below that is a better option on trade. Heck I might even add 10% to that trade in number to save the time and hassle of a private sale.
That’s a good idea also, I wonder if the dealerships use a blue book of some sort to price the used lawn tractors or if they just have a general formula and go off of condition plus commission?

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
We should all feel lucky that we even have the possibility of trading lawn tractors. You won’t see that with anything bought at big box stores, Tractor Supply, etc. At least we have the option most of the time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts