Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for my LA120 says I should change the oil/filter, gas filter, etc. every 50 hours of operation, but some local tractor dealers say I should change it every season. I haven't logged another 50 hrs on my machine since last year and am wondering, which is it?

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I would suggest every season, oil is cheap!

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Changing it every 50 hours is a good plan if you use it more than 50 hours a season. If not, then changing it every season would be a smart thing to do.

·
Administrator
20,466 Posts
Changing it every 50 hours is a good plan if you use it more than 50 hours a season. If not, then changing it every season would be a smart thing to do.
Ditto!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hiya,

My rule of thumb on lawn equipment is if it has a filter, the oil is changed once per season and the filter gets changed 1/2 way through the season. My reason is the filter is there to catch the bad stuff and the oil you add when you change it refreshes the additives depleted and lets the remainder of the oil make it through the season. I drain and change filter at the end of the season so the engine sits through the winter with clean oil and is ready to go in the spring. Make sure you use an oil designed for small engines, the stuff made for cars is not the best choice now as there is no zinc in them anymore for emission controls.

If the engine has no filter, the oil gets changed every 10 hours of use. This has served me well as my filterless small engines are over 20 years old and still run like new.

My 2 cents,

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I would add that if you do not put 50 hours a year on, I would not use synthetic oil and I would buy cheaper oil made only for small engines. The additive packages and detergents in todays car oils will remove benificial films that will help to protect the metal parts in your motor. IMHO, the cheapest JD oil you could buy in the correct weight will serve you well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts