Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering I found out last year by accident that the rear wheels can be reversed to make it tighter to the body. Is there a benefit other that closer clearance and making pressure checks very difficult? Hahaha. There must be a reason.... Thank you friends.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I was just wondering I found out last year by accident that the rear wheels can be reversed to make it tighter to the body. Is there a benefit other that closer clearance and making pressure checks very difficult? Hahaha. There must be a reason.... Thank you friends.
Just curious, why would you want to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
:dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
When you say that pressure checks would be more difficult to me that means the valve stems would be on the inside.

If your valve stems are on the outside that means your wheels are in the narrow position. Valve stems on the inside means the wheels are in the wide position.

Putting the wheels in the wide position helps with stability on side hills and also sometimes helps with clearance issues with tire chains.

So which way are your wheels now?

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
When you say that pressure checks would be more difficult to me that means the valve stems would be on the inside.

If your valve stems are on the outside that means your wheels are in the narrow position. Valve stems on the inside means the wheels are in the wide position.

Putting the wheels in the wide position helps with stability on side hills and also sometimes helps with clearance issues with tire chains.

So which way are your wheels now?
Maybe I wasn’t understanding, I read it like he wanted a narrower footprint than he already has.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Maybe I wasn’t understanding, I read it like he wanted a narrower footprint than he already has.

I don’t really understand either - that’s why I asked for the present position of the stems.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think he is asking IF there is a benefit. Sounds like he just found out it is possible to flip the wheels and is wondering if there is a good reason to do it. Only reason I can think of would be if you have gates on your property and need to fit through them. Besides that, you want to be as wide as possible. Every inch counts in stablizing your tractor. I have 2.4 inch wheel spacers on the rear and it makes a world of difference. Unless you have a specific reason, stay wide.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Coaltrain, on these little machines the valve stem on the outside is the wide position.

Frankly After seeing how close to the backhoe frame the tires are now on mine I don't think they would actually bolt up reversed?

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Unless John Deere has changed the rims since I bought my 1025r in 2014 there is only one way for the wheels to mount. They are not the same type of rims as the older 2 series machines that allowed the rear wheels to flipped. The valve stems facing out is the only way the rims will mount.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't think that they are meant to be reversed. The bevel around the holes that mates with the lug bolts and the surfaces that mate with the hub only work properly with the wheels mounted one way.

Probably you would find the lug bolts working loose if you mounted them reversed.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
On my 92 420 I had to reverse one wheel to use the tilt dump collection system. I had to reverse the right rear tire to mount the Kawasaki motor for the collection system. I used it three times.

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Coaltrain, on these little machines the valve stem on the outside is the wide position.

Frankly After seeing how close to the backhoe frame the tires are now on mine I don't think they would actually bolt up reversed?
OK. That is the opposite of mine. I have to stay out of this section as I don't know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think he is asking IF there is a benefit. Sounds like he just found out it is possible to flip the wheels and is wondering if there is a good reason to do it. Only reason I can think of would be if you have gates on your property and need to fit through them. Besides that, you want to be as wide as possible. Every inch counts in stablizing your tractor. I have 2.4 inch wheel spacers on the rear and it makes a world of difference. Unless you have a specific reason, stay wide.
Yank - Where did you get wheel spacers? I do a lot of work on hills, so more width/stability is definitely interesting.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
OK. That is the opposite of mine. I have to stay out of this section as I don't know what I am talking about.
Stick around Stan, it's a learning thing. You learn about the 1 series. When I go to the GT or MCUT threads it's so I can see what they are doing and so I can learn from them. Some of the things I learn on these other threads helps me with my 1026. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I know on many of the older JD's, vintage 300's and 400's, you could turn the wheels to make the track wider which many people did. I know I did when I owned a 318 and 430.

On the 1025R, like others have said, the wheels are not made to install reversed.

I agree with others, if reversing the wheels was possible and would make the track wider, then there would be a good reason to do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a installation paper for wheel weights(am117588). certainly made me wonder which way my 1025r tlb was configured.i decided that using my own length allthread was a better choice and have not bought the rods.was considering doubling up on the bolts ,there are more holes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Please don't "Stay out of this section". Your contributions are always much appreciated. I just was pointing out that one the 1 series it seems they broke a tradition with the wide position and valve stem relationship.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I got mine from JD as an add on, but there are several companies that aftermarket them for our tractors. From 1 inch all the way to 6 inch. There are some threads on here specifically about wheel spacers. I know Kenny and a couple other guys found a good company, but I can’t remember it’s name.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts