Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty assistant added gas fuel stabilizer to a 5 gall can of diesel fuel. I caught it before it went into the tractor. Ideas????
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
My trusty assistant added gas fuel stabilizer to a 5 gall can of diesel fuel. I caught it before it went into the tractor. Ideas????
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
You are probably in uncharted territory. I would call the manufacturer of whichever product you used and see if they offer any advice. Maybe the fuel can still be used in a torpedo heater or in a home heating oil tank. At least in a 275 gallon heating oil tank it would be massively diluted.

To play it safe I certainly wouldn't use it in my tractor. Look on the bright side... it's only 5 gallons.

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That article talks about mixing gasoline with diesel which is bad news. The OP simply put gasoline stabilizer in the diesel. Which, while still potentially a problem I doubt it is as detrimental as gasoline itself. If it were me, I'd find another use for those 5-gallons of diesel.

Yes ....but what struck me as odd was the fact that it seemed even in very small amounts it (gas) could create issues.
Assuming:banghead:....that as a gas soluble product it may produce the same bad result?

I was surprized not to find much info on the subject as this has surely happened lots of times.

I'd use the fuel for burn pile starter or furnace oil ..or turn in to the hazmat day @ the recycle center.

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
I was surprized not to find much info on the subject as this has surely happened lots of times.
Agree, I too was surprised there was little info available. As I mentioned earlier I think I would still give the manufacturer a call just to see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
If it were me, I'd find another use for those 5-gallons of diesel.
Yep, like pouring it down a groundhog hole. :nunu:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Look up the MSDS or SDS of the fuel stabilizer. This is assuming that you have the name and manufacture of it. The material safety data sheet might tell you what the stabilizer is chemically. If it is a mineral oil it might not matter for a diesel.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you run out of fuel with a VW diesel,, you can stop at the grocery store, and get a gallon of cooking oil, dump it in, and get to the next "gas/diesel" station.

No way I would worry about it.

People clean the french fry oil out of McD's, and burn it in diesels,,,

If you are really worried about it,, dilute it even further,,

·
Registered
561 Posts
how much are you talking about? a couple of oz? maybe 10-12oz? to the 5 gallons.
I'd use it in my tractor.
What I'd do was every time I filled up my tractor I'd pour maybe 1/2-1 gallon of the "bad" stuff in then fill the rest of the way with "good" stuff.
Depending upon how much your fill up uses.
I use about 7-10 gallons when I fill up my tractor so 1/2 to 1 gallon of "bad" stuff would not bother anything.
My tractor has something like 12 gallon tank.

Diesel is not what I would call a very fussy fuel. Its not like your running Av gas.
I get that most guys here are very fussy about their tractors and they probably treat them better than their wives:laugh:.
I get that but that much water in diesel diluted as I suggested would be no issue except maybe if it sat out in the winter.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well...

The article in question doesn't say how much.

The OP of the thread didn't either.

Rereading the article...yes it could cause computer issues etc. In an older unit..diluted..I'd use it. I am guilty of use'n old questionable diesel..but always dilute it into a mostly fresh tankfull.

Heres the text that spells out their theory....

"[h=3]Putting Gasoline In Diesel Fuel[/h]Let’s say you accidentally drop a small amount of gasoline into your diesel fuel. The first thing it’s going to is depress the flash point of the diesel, which can be dangerous given that pockets of higher concentrations of gasoline can develop in a tank. So the flash point wouldn’t be consistent throughout the entire tank.
Given the large difference in flash point temperature between gas and diesel, it doesn’t take very much gasoline to depress the flash temperature significantly. As little as 1% gasoline contamination will lower the diesel flash point by 18 degrees C. This means the diesel fuel will prematurely ignite in the diesel engine, which can lead to engine damage.
Gasoline contamination can also damage the fuel pump and mess up diesel injectors. This happens because of a drop in lubrication. Simply speaking, gasoline is a solvent while diesel is an oil. Diesel has enough lubricity to lubricate the fuel pumps and the injectors. Swapping in some gasoline takes away this lubrication, leading to damage.
Beyond these, you’ll get incomplete combustion, initially characterized by large amounts of black smoke. Beyond being an aesthetic problem, the vehicle’s computer will try to compensate for this combustion lack by adjusting the fuel-air mixture. This is going to cut your power and performance considerably. And if you continue to use the fuel, you can cause real damage to the vehicle’s computer sensors by either overheating them or covering them in soot such that they can’t detect anything.""

Perhaps we need a new thread to hash this out or re-emburse the OP for 5 gallons of something:unknown:

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I like the idea of using it has fire starter. We all have brush piles :good2::good2:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4 ounces went into the can. I've been looking for articles and nothing.

Going to call Stabil & Deere in the morning. May just give it to my brother in law who runs heavy equipment if it still is unclear; he says dilute it with fresh diesel in small tank. Sure would be helpful if life could have an UNDO button sometimes.

............................................................................... :dunno:....................................................................................

·
Super Moderator
8,134 Posts
4 ounces went into the can. I've been looking for articles and nothing.

Going to call Stabil & Deere in the morning. May just give it to my brother in law who runs heavy equipment if it still is unclear; he says dilute it with fresh diesel in small tank. Sure would be helpful if life could have an UNDO button sometimes.

............................................................................... :dunno:....................................................................................
Use the fuel. No problem with Sta-Bil accidentally added to diesel fuel:

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.35.01 AM.png

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use the fuel. No problem with Sta-Bil accidentally added to diesel fuel:

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer

View attachment 311234
I realize it's only 5 gallons and that can be easily disposed of if it had to be. I did go out and buy another can and filled it, and the guy at the station offered to dump it in his waste tank for nothing along with oil changes fluids etc,. but I thought I'd follow through and try to get some type of a definitive answer, so I called Stabil (Gold Eagle). I did call deere and they had no answer. Here's the transcript:

online Chat with Conrad at Stabil:

Q. Will adding Stabil Storage Gas Treatment to a 5 gallon can of diesel render the diesel too contaminated for use in a tractor with a small fuel tank?
A:Thank you for contacting us. If you added the recommended amount of STA-BIL® Storage, then this should be OK. It will not cause any damage to the Diesel fuel and can be used normally.

Q: So there is no gasoline content whatsoever in this product?
A: No. It is a petroleum based antioxidant. However, if more than 2 times the amount was added, then we would recommend diluting this mix by adding more fresh Diesel fuel or properly discard it.

Q: One last question...would it be harmful to add the proper diesel additive or would that be pushing it?
A:You can certainly add STA-BIL® Diesel (at the proper dosage) even if you already treated with STA-BIL® Storage.

Thanks for the input! Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It seems you have your answer but I'll add that I would have put the fuel in my truck ('87 F250) and not worried one bit. Not having the truck, I would have put in the tractor - and still not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'd run it...Sta Bil is nothing but some petroleum spirits, nothing that would cause a dangerous combustion or loss of lubrication.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts