Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So I need to do my service and I ordered all my oil, filters low viscosity etc all online last week. It was due to arrive Thursday and I’m planning doing the service Friday

The story short is now it’s delayed and not coming until next week! I’m annoyed

But what’s stores typically carry John Deere maintenance products like oil, hydraulic fluid etc ?

ie does Home Depot or KMart or NAPA or these type stores carry all the above stuff that I can just drive to? Nearest dealer is like a 45 min drive which I don’t want to do

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi

So I need to do my service and I ordered all my oil, filters low viscosity etc all online last week. It was due to arrive Thursday and I’m planning doing the service Friday

The story short is now it’s delayed and not coming until next week! I’m annoyed

But what’s stores typically carry John Deere maintenance products like oil, hydraulic fluid etc ?

ie does Home Depot or KMart or NAPA or these type stores carry all the above stuff that I can just drive to? Nearest dealer is like a 45 min drive which I don’t want to do
Lowes and HD stock (SOME of the) filters for the models they sell and a few oil weights. Neither has the specific fluids or filters for every model. There is some crossover into other dealer level models but don't expect much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Based on your post history, it looks like you have the x758. Like Fozsey mentioned, you’re likely not going to find the Deere specific products for the x758 at a box store. Sounds like a road trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I buy my JD filters and oil from greenpartstore.com They are usually as cheap as buying them at the local dealer.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I buy my JD filters and oil from greenpartstore.com They are usually as cheap as buying them at the local dealer.
DeereBoots is correct, if your to far away for a local dealer, then there are Deere dealers like greenpartstore.com where you can buy online. Main thing will be shipping and some may have sales tax (depends on it's state location and laws).

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I prefer the dealer, but understand distance problems.
My particular dealers parts department, where you have to purchase oil/filters/etc, has a guy working there with...how to say it nicely...a bit of an attitude. That may make me drive to a different dealer or order online. I really dont enjoy dealing with him because he second guesses everything, and its cost me a couple times in wrong part ordered and having to wait for the right one to come in. Ive been looking up parts since JDParts.coms inception, but somehow he knows better. Anyway, thats neither here nor there.

As someone mentioned, buying online is a good option, assuming they get things shipped out in a timely manner. Sometimes, even with the shipping cost, they can be cheaper than the dealer.
Also, something else to consider, if you need it soon, and have to order online, call and make sure they have it in stock.
Several times Ive ordered online and found that it was delayed. When I inquire, its always due to having to order a part from Deere and wait for it to arrive before they can ship the order.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Just an FYI - Green Farm Parts is a supporting vendor of our forum. Plus as forum members we get a 7% discount across the board.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/green-farm-parts/34913-green-tractor-talk-discount-change-green-farm-parts.html
And for in stock items they sometimes ship same day, if not the next day. UPS delivery for me is typically overnight from them due to their proximity, but will vary based on your location.

Bottom line for me, I USUALLY have my order in 2 days at a great price.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
The big box stores sell the Deere maintenance kits for the L-100/D-100/E-100 series mowers and carry Deere branded 10W-30 oil. But that's about it. (They may or may not carry the filters for those mowers separately.)

I buy the maintenance kits for my tractor through GFP and always order two at a time. When I use the 2nd one, I just order 2 more and they sit on the shelf until I need them. I get a little paranoid that my fuel is going to gel up on me over the winters so I always want to make sure I have spare filters available, just in case.

The HyGard hydro fluid I get from the dealer. Pick up 10 or 20 gallons and have it on hand.

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
Never knew about the discount. I wonder if Id still get it if I picked up my parts. They are only about 25 minutes South of me, lol.
I don’t see why not if you place your order online. Just put the code in the coupon box.

But why not let them ship - it’s free (well included in the price) for most orders.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don’t see why not if you place your order online. Just put the code in the coupon box.

But why not let them ship - it’s free (well included in the price) for most orders.
Good point. I just was thinking sometimes I end up driving by there on my way to other places.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I ordered from ShopGreenDealer.com last Monday. I wrote down on the order I need it by Thursday and it was meant to be arriving Friday per their reply and then I just got an update and it’s now not going to arrive until Monday. Which sucks!

I’m so used to 2 day shipping as standard that a week is just below standard.

I’d definitely be interested in that 7% discount if the shipping is also free. But I think I’ll have to go to the dealership on this occasion I just want to get this service done it’s hanging over me

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I did a comparison using Green Farm Parts against the other online competitor.

Green Farm Parts, that offer the 7% off, and free shipping, were $13.00 more expensive than ShopGreenDealer, so even though you get 7% off ($12) and free shipping it’s still $13 more expensive total, so on my specific things I was buying they were actually 9% more expensive

Just interesting to factor in all these things

·
Registered
41 Posts
I buy 2 at a time

I buy the filters at my JD dealer, oil filters 2 at a time, hydro filter, air filter and gas filter all from dealer. I buy my Mobil 1 10w-30 syn from the auto parts store. I don't want to start an argument but I use Mobil 1 in everything engine and my tranmission. I just got a new tractor a x738 and as of now not sure what I'll run in the front axel yet.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,793 Posts
Because the dealer is only 2 miles from me, I buy from them. They match, or beat any price on the web. :good2:

Besides, they have free coffee, free popcorn; and 50 cent soft drink and vending machine products. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I buy the filters at my JD dealer, oil filters 2 at a time, hydro filter, air filter and gas filter all from dealer. I buy my Mobil 1 10w-30 syn from the auto parts store. I don't want to start an argument but I use Mobil 1 in everything engine and my tranmission. I just got a new tractor a x738 and as of now not sure what I'll run in the front axel yet.
Youd be money ahead to get your oil at Walmart or somewhere other than the auto parts store.
Generally, Walmart is $5-10 cheaper per gallon. Most 5 quart jugs of oil are $20-25. Best Ive seen at any of the auto parts stores is $25, and that was on sale, and I cant say Ive seen it that cheap since the one sale last year.
I despise going to Walmart, but do when I need oil. Our Meijer has similar pricing on oil lately as well. Not sure if they werent selling much or are now getting a better price on their end, but last time I checked, they were within a few cents per gallon/5 quart jug of Walmart. Only trouble with Meijer is they dont always have what I want.

Also, Deere filters arent anything special. You can generally get similar quality, or better for less or the same money elsewhere.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
Youd be money ahead to get your oil at Walmart or somewhere other than the auto parts store.
Generally, Walmart is $5-10 cheaper per gallon. Most 5 quart jugs of oil are $20-25. Best Ive seen at any of the auto parts stores is $25, and that was on sale, and I cant say Ive seen it that cheap since the one sale last year.
The last two big jugs of Mobil-1 synthetic I got at Walmart. It was cheaper than anyone else I could find. PLUS - - it was free shipping to have it delivered so I didn't even have to burn time or gas to go get it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The last full service I did (engine & hydraulics), I purchased a full kit from Deere. A box that had an oil, air, fuel and 2 hydraulic filters in it. I don't think I could have bought them individually any cheaper and finding equivalents for anything but the engine oil filter would not have been a simple matter at a single auto parts store or online. I think it was like $85 or thereabouts online from a GTT vendor.

Motor oil is a profit maker for Deere partly because they do not pay a license fee to claim API certification. However, I'd bet dollars to donuts that their oils' recipes are the same as standard API diesel "C" classifications but they can't say that due to the aforementioned licensing. My owner's manual says to use API CE or better if Deere motor oil is unavailable and I would not hesitate to go buy Mobil 1 or any other reputable brand at Walmart that meets or exceeds that spec.

FWIW, in most regions Chevron is the blender of Deere engine oil.

Al

1 - 20 of 23 Posts