Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has the picture in their head of the old John Deere sitting out in the field rusting away.
CUT's have been around over 30 years now. Where will they end up when their motors give out when their hydrostatic transmissions give up?
Due to their age, complexity, scarcity and extremly high cost of parts many can not and would not invest in major repairs for a worn old CUT tractor.

You do not see a ton of machines being parted out or used components on eBay or craigslist. . Not many dealers or yards specialize in the CUT's.
Where are they ending up and What will become of these??

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yup, bone yards for salvage. Waste not, want not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am impressed with those photos... But... surely tractors wont go across country to the very few boneyards that do exist. What does a dealer do with the tractors that are DOA and not worth fixing when the owner gets the estimate to repair?
I guess the sum of the pieces is worth more then the whole tractor with a bad engine or transmission. Safe to speculate that the the secondary parts market should have a big increase in the coming years? Keeping an older CUT going is going to need places like this as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,191 Posts
There is a place near here that is similar. They have mostly lawn and garden tractors but they also have a few SCUT/CUT and Gators.

hald1.jpg

hald2.jpg

hald3.jpg

·
Registered
12,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I believe they go where the elephants go to die and no one has ever found out where....

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,268 Posts
But... surely tractors wont go across country to the very few boneyards that do exist. What does a dealer do with the tractors that are DOA and not worth fixing when the owner gets the estimate to repair?
I guess the sum of the pieces is worth more then the whole tractor with a bad engine or transmission. Safe to speculate that the the secondary parts market should have a big increase in the coming years? Keeping an older CUT going is going to need places like this as time goes on.

Yes they do.
Some salvage yard owners transport these tractors from all over the country, to there place. At our dealership, a guy come around every so often to buy salvaged tractors, equipment and obsolete parts from use. He'd travel around the country buying from dealers. When he'd get a couple truck loads worth, he send to pick up what he'd bought. One guy used to ship them to Central America to supply the market there.

·
Registered
12,301 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts