Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants it out of our garage. I'm debating on one of them metal Park under gizmos or a tent like thing from northern tool!

Any ideas? Or what do you all use.

Pictures please if it's something I can show her.. Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry can't help ya...
I Shed mine.
Too big of an investment to let sit out in weather and rodent land:lol::lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I feel your pain. We've got a two car garage. Unofficially, one bay for me, one for my wife. In my side lives my $4000 kayak! (Ok, and our other kayaks, too.) For the first ten months of home and tractor ownership, the tractor lived in my wife's garage bay. She wasn't too happy about it, but it needs to be protected and accessible when there's snow to move. Through the fall I worked at putting a big garage door in our shed (which previously just had a little door) so that I could drive the tractor in and store it there. Now my wife has her garage bay and parks her car in there and is happy, and the tractor is protected and accessible. And my kayak is protected. My car can rust over, I don't care much about that!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a garage attached the house but it was not built to Texas standards. In other words not everything is Bigger in Texas. My 1025r sits on one side and my ham shack and everything else on the other. My wife's car could fit in there but nothing else so it stays outside too. Wouls love to have a barn where I wouldnt have to fold down ROPs all the time and disconnect implements, but not in the cards for a few years.

Eric Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Krugerville, TX, USA
John Deere 1025r

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have a 22x28 attached. But we have a in the making craft and Woodshop. I think I can park it in my basement lol..

But the diesel smell starting it might not be pleasant lol

I'm not fond of my 17k toy sitting outside... It actually won't... But she will get over it for awhile

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have kept my JD equipment for years in our Shelterlogic sheds. The 12x20x8 high. Get the Heavy duty version from their website not the store bought one. I also used big auger drill in hooks that I bought at Home Depot (in the rope and chain area) then used ratchet straps looped to the top crossbar down to these auger hooks in the ground. You can use the little steel cable straps they provide , but they ground rot and only hold the bottom down to a degree leaving the top to shake in the wind. I have an extension cord during the winter 12 gauge running from the house across the yard in a very generous loop to supply power and light in the shed for the winter months.

Down side to the ones I have is the ROPS is folded down and still have to give just a little help when I sneak under the roll up door to clear the factory aux lights. No cab for me yet. A pole barn in that location is my next venture after the masterbath this Spring when the project cookie jar refills. Hopefully before Winter 2016/17

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Our garage is 36 x 42, but even that isn't big enough. Both cars, tractor and all implements plus all my woodworking tools and trailer have it full. Looking to build a separate 16 x 24 garage next year for tractor and trailer storage. Just haven't decided quite where to put it on the property. Can never have enough space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My wife wants it out of our garage. I'm debating on one of them metal Park under gizmos or a tent like thing from northern tool!

Any ideas? Or what do you all use.

Pictures please if it's something I can show her.. Thanks
Ah, yes, another guy who made the same mistake as me! I fully counted the cost of the tractor, but didn't really consider the cost of a storage location.

My temporary solution was one of the cheap Shelterlogic sheds (the "store-bought" one using terminology above).
Here is my review of it:

After a year of research, discussion, and saving, here is what we have ended up with:

I found the pole-barn to be the cheapest approach since it didn't need a deep concrete footer foundation.
Also, I have been able to delay some of the expenses by a few months to make it more 'palatable' to our finances.

Tim

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
My 1025 (and attachments) sits next my wife's car in the garage while my truck is parked outside. It really sucks in the winter though while I'm chipping ice off the windows. The green machine likes to be indoors and I respect it's wish.:laugh:

·
Registered
613 Posts
A thought, depending on where you live see if you have an ordinance against a Connex type container. You know the steel shipping containers. You can get these in various lengths from 20 ft. - 80 ft. They can be quite easy to make aesthetically pleasing and can be purchased often times for less than $1000 delivered. If we didnt have an ordinance against them in my city, I would have several. Put some masonry siding on them and a pitched roof and voila instant affordable shed.

Eric Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Krugerville, TX, USA
John Deere 1025r

·
Registered
190 Posts
Third stall in the winter for easy starting and quick out the door snow removal. Then I move it to a 12x20 storage shed in the summer months as the snowmobiles head to the farm for off-season storage. The third stall gets the summer toy....It's a rotation so none of the toys feel left out.

My 12x20 is a very simple "moveable" shed that I had built and moved in by the Amish neighbors back at the farm. I thought I had some pictures handy but cannot find one. Will post one when I get a chance. I had it build with a roll-up door in each end for drive through capability and then had it sided and roofed to match the house. Works great and stores more than one would think. It was very reasonable at completely finished and delivered - 280 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Always garage kept...but I have the space

As other guys have said, it's a huge investment. That's why I have kept my 2012 1026R in the garage from day one. But I'm fortunate that I have a two-car garage on an adjacent property we own --large enough for the 1026, the X310, one of the wave runners (on a car during the winter) and our golf cart/mini pickup truck. Of course, my sons want me to build a 30 x 50 for the the other wave runners, the boat, the ATVs, the Wrangler that has no shame and runs around topless in the summer...and so on, and so on, and so on..... Their theory is that we all have our roles in this family, and mine is writing the checks. Yeah...they wish!:laugh:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I park mine outside. I have a 2 bay car port and a parking spot next to it. I switch with the truck in the winter just to keep the ice and snow off the seat and controls. But in the summer it's out at the adjoining shaded parking spot. All my implements are outside also, except the mower deck is in an open shed.

Haven't had any issues except for the black balls at the end of the loader and backhoe controls. They have grayed-up. Probably not UV protected.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I keep mine in a 24'x40' shop that I had built a few years ago to keep all my toys in. Best money I ever spent.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I keep mine in one bay of the addition I am working on for my barn/shop.

BA (557).jpg

Eventually I will get walls and doors on this space but even open sided this is so nice compared to the tarp I was using.

Snow Removal 2012-11-07 (2).jpg

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have two garages / shops. The 30 X 30 shop is full of Motorcycles in the winter (Storage)
The front shop is where the tractor lives in the winter (heated and cozy). It's backed in ready for snow duty.
The cars stay outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
All my implements are in the shed and the tractor sits in the garage - only because I can't get my truck in the garage! If I didn't have it in the garage, I'd probably build another shelter for it. It's too nice of a machine to sit outside.:good2:

Austin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts