Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sulley Bear (SB) replied to a responsive post I had made yesterday. He noted that I had not been on the forum for awhile. I started a new project that was not green---although it requires nearly as much money. So maybe it should be green.

I've always desired an old Dodge pickup. I came across a 1971 D100 in Colorado Springs early in 2020 that appeared to be solid. I flew out to inspect it in May of 2020, purchased it, and drove it back to MN.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

On the way back, I began creating a list of things that required attention. It became a long list. So I drove it most of the summer of 2020 and worked on the mechanical issues. While it looks pretty good in the photos above, it had a number of small issues that were going to turn into big issues, if ignored. For example, there was little paint left on the roof. So last winter's project was a body/interior restoration.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

We sold our home about a month ago. So now I'm sorting and packing 20+ year of "stuff". I purchased a semi-trailer, for the move, which should be arriving today or tomorrow. Our plan is to move to Alabama, but we have yet to find anything I'm lukewarm about. Being a bit of a perfectionist, which doesn't come as a surprise to my bride or myself, I may elect to build. It was why I built the home we just sold. However, in today's market, you can purchase far more home than you can build, for the same money. I'm also in my mid-60s and I don't know if I have another from the ground up build in me and would rather spend the time on other projects. So we'll see what God has in store for us.

With the move, I'll likely continue to be scarce on the forum.

Registered
Very nice truck. I started to write "old" truck but then I realized that I was in my mid twenties when it was built.

Registered
Sharp looking truck. Good luck on your move.

Premium Member

Premium Member
Nice truck, I was going to say old to but Don made me rethink that since it is younger than me as well. Brave man driving it back and I will bet you got a lot of looks on the highway.

Registered
I bought a used one back in the 70's. I can't say I was ever in love with the look from the side view. I think it would have looked better with just a straight line look instead of the curve down on the bed.

Registered

Premium Member
Nice truck, I understand what you mean about cost. we did a old vette and the cost was amazing. The convertable top was 3500$ to have the frame rebuilt and new top put on it. Enjoy it looks good.

Premium Member
See Martin, there are people paying attention to long term GTT members we "know". I noticed your absence from the site and knew you must have been "otherwise occupied".

Nice truck and of course, you have done a great job. So when does the move to Alabama take place or are you going to hang around in MN at another property until you find just the right place?

Very glad your absence from GTT wasn't for negative reasons. There seems to be a number of GTT members who have been battling health issues of late and when I notice long time members suddenly absent from GTT, their well being is always a concern.

Looking forward to hearing more about the move and new property. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.......

Premium Member
Nice truck. I have always wanted a old 50s gmc truck like my Pappap used to drive. Maybe thats why I like the red truck that is around during this time of the year. Its in every store on shirts and decorations.

Good luck with your move n your project! I noticed...馃憖馃榿

Registered
Sulley Bear (SB) replied to a responsive post I had made yesterday. He noted that I had not been on the forum for awhile. I started a new project that was not green---although it requires nearly as much money. So maybe it should be green.

I've always desired an old Dodge pickup. I came across a 1971 D100 in Colorado Springs early in 2020 that appeared to be solid. I flew out to inspect it in May of 2020, purchased it, and drove it back to MN.

View attachment 814321

View attachment 814322

On the way back, I began creating a list of things that required attention. It became a long list. So I drove it most of the summer of 2020 and worked on the mechanical issues. While it looks pretty good in the photos above, it had a number of small issues that were going to turn into big issues, if ignored. For example, there was little paint left on the roof. So last winter's project was a body/interior restoration.

View attachment 814323

View attachment 814327

We sold our home about a month ago. So now I'm sorting and packing 20+ year of "stuff". I purchased a semi-trailer, for the move, which should be arriving today or tomorrow. Our plan is to move to Alabama, but we have yet to find anything I'm lukewarm about. Being a bit of a perfectionist, which doesn't come as a surprise to my bride or myself, I may elect to build. It was why I built the home we just sold. However, in today's market, you can purchase far more home than you can build, for the same money. I'm also in my mid-60s and I don't know if I have another from the ground up build in me and would rather spend the time on other projects. So we'll see what God has in store for us.

With the move, I'll likely continue to be scarce on the forum.
Beautiful color...everything!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So when does the move to Alabama take place or are you going to hang around in MN at another property until you find just the right place?
The closing, on the home we've sold, is not until the end of February---which is a good thing considering all the "good stuff" I've acquired over the years. My bride has about 18 months before she can retire and it must be within MN. So we'll end up renting something for her, at a minimum. I'll make the move to AL as soon as God presents us with the right place and we close. This is part of the reason why I purchased a semi-trailer, so it can double as storage during the interim period between home ownership...and if I build again.

We'd like to be on water again, significant acreage, and a good size storage building/workshop. Unfortunately, the combination of frontage on a good size lake and acreage have been elusive in our price range, $1.5M. We can have acreage and a small, <10 acre, private lake. However, once we move to a bigger lake, even with modest frontage, the price quickly exceeds our budget. Anything with an HOA is a non-starter.

The current trend of the home market is what I refer to as "surgical white". White painted trim, white cabinets, stainless appliances, and a lot of white walls or very bold colored walls. All of which I do not care for in the least. A bathroom with a medicine cabinet is pretty much unheard of and in the rare case there is such, it is surface mounted rather than recessed. To add insult to injury, it'll be a pedestal sink or zero counter space.

I'd also like to have a small, short term (VRBO, AirBnB) rental unit co-located. We've been doing that with our beach house, at the home we've now sold, for the last 10 years. I pretty much have it down to an art. I have near zero guest issues and the clean/prep between guests takes me about 2 hours. It has provided enough income where I have not had to draw social security or dip into retirement investments since I "mostly" retired 7 years ago.

Reactions: SulleyBear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those who requested:

Hood Motor vehicle Green Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Blue Automotive exterior Gas

Color matched spray-in bedliner:

Green Fixture Rectangle Composite material Wood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Fixture

Premium Member
In addition to the surgical white kitchens, many are not putting in any upper cabinets and are putting in open shelving on the walls where the upper cabinets traditionally have been. It looks alright in the showroom, but is highly impractical in the real world as you need to store more than 4 plates and two bowls in those storage areas. While the walk in pantry is nice, it needs to be ancillary and surplus storage, not where you retrieve every item needed for regular cooking...........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts