Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a 3/4 ton long bed for a while. I'm not particular about the brand as long as the dealer has a decent service reputation. And, I have a very short list of options I want, largely to do with towing. I live in horse country in SC and you'd think long bed trucks would be easy to find, but as of a few days ago there were about 180 3/4 ton pickups in combined stock at all the major dealers within 50 miles of me. Out of the 180 pickups, exactly three of them were 8' long beds.

My hobby is building horse jumps, and I use a lot of 12 foot lengths of lumber. A six foot bed just won't cut it for me, and I'm getting tired of having to tow a trailer when I go lumber shopping. Besides, I'd like to buy pieces as soon as I find them. Just last weekend a local HD got in a small bunch of nice 4x4 red cedar posts, and by the time I got back next day with my trailer the good ones were gone; only the cracked and warped were left.

I was really surprised at the shortage (no pun) of long bed trucks. Why are there so few compared to the mini beds. What ever happened to trucks where beds were sized to carry sheets of plywood laid flat?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Buyers put their priorities into more doors rather than long beds. The manufactures build what sells. Most buyers felt even extended cabs with 8' beds were too long overall. So they did not buy them.

The Silverado extended (now called double) and crew cabs share the same wheel base, with a crew cab you get an even shorter box.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
Buyers put their priorities into more doors rather than long beds. The manufactures build what sells. Most buyers felt even extended cabs with 8' beds were too long overall. So they did not buy them.
I think that's really it in a nutshell. Extended cab (or crew cab) + 8' bed makes for a VERY long vehicle for the average person.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Whenever I am in the market for a new pickup truck I order it to my specs including manual transmission and my choice of available rear axle ratio.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I hear ya! I ordered my Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with the full size bed. I can finally lay an actual sheet of plywood in the back of my truck and close the tailgate. With that being said, you can barter with this guy:

2003 Chevy Kodiak C4500 Pick-up

Take the back sleeper off and you could haul just about anything you want without a trailer.

I love these trucks. I cannot justify the cost or the size of these things.

Reactions: pcabe5 and mjncad

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I too prefer an 8' box. But , I did buy a 2016 F250 super cab short box last winter. Largely because their was no regular cabs on the local lots. So far it has worked out fine for me. The F250/350 short box is longer than most short boxes . I think the box is 6' 8" . It kinda sucks to have to leave the gate down to haul 8' lumber. I haven't done it yet, but, I don't see any issue with hauling 12' lumber on my truck.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I've never bought a brand new vehicle, but if I did I think I would factory order it exactly the way I wanted. My red pickup has an 8' wide, 9' long flatbed and I love the size and utility of a flatbed. It really can't be beat for most "work" done with a pickup. Regular beds are too restrictive and easy to damage.

I've found very few places I can't park, I'm in a parking garage right now actually. All my pickups have been 8' beds or longer though, so I'm used to parking out near the far end of the lot.

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
I agree with Blake for the OP's use. You could find the truck you want (cab configuration), remove the bed and build a nice flat bed for it to your liking. Removable stake sides is another plus.

I never really understood the pick-up beds. Just about no matter what you put in there will have to be tied down anyway (at least I do....).

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I bought a short bed 3/4 ton and a 10 foot dump trailer in 1999,,,

I have the best of both worlds, and when I do not need to haul, the trailer can stay parked.

I have hauled over 500 tons (yes, I kept track of the loads),,,,
the truck still looks great, and the dump trailer still works perfectly.

Try hauling 500 tons in an 8' bed truck,,, there will be nothing left,,,

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bought a short bed 3/4 ton and a 10 foot dump trailer in 1999,,,

I have the best of both worlds, and when I do not need to haul, the trailer can stay parked.

I have hauled over 500 tons (yes, I kept track of the loads),,,,
the truck still looks great, and the dump trailer still works perfectly.

Try hauling 500 tons in an 8' bed truck,,, there will be nothing left,,,
I've never done 500 tons but I have moved 1/2 ton engine/tranny combos tens to hundreds of miles, hundreds of times, and I still have a nice carpeted bed on my 07 Dodge.
Must be 'cause it's a short bed :)

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I never really understood the pick-up beds. Just about no matter what you put in there will have to be tied down anyway (at least I do....).
I wish I would have known that when I was 17. :banghead:

:lol:

The simple fact is that most trucks sold now are grocery getters. Lately, I've been seriously considering giving up my Jeep and getting a new truck. If I do it, I'd like to buy "new" and it would probably be the last vehicle that I purchase. (I'm only 54, but I keep my vehicles a LONG time) I'd like to get a 3/4 ton Super Duty and was leaning towards diesel, but that's an extra $8000. I've been on Ford's "Build Your Own" site and today played around with building an F-150 (yeah, I know it's only 1/2 ton). If you got any sort of extended cab, the BYO site would NOT let you configure an extended cab with an 8' bed. I don't know if you can go to the dealer and order one or not. But the bed size changed each time you changed the cab configuration.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I had intended to order out a truck, But I found the local dealer was more willing to deal more on the trucks they had on the lot.

The days of being able to special order a vehicle are coming to a end. The assembly lines are getting so automated that it much easier and cost effective just to offer a few trim levels.

I don't think anyone even offers a manual transmission on a full size truck .

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
For the guys with trailers, I agree - best of both worlds. But one of the OP's concerns is having what you need to haul something at hand - like his example of the lumber he wanted, returned the next day with his trailer, and it was gone. I don't think anyone pulls their trailer around every time they go somewhere just in case....

I have (had) the same issue with my pickup (yes, mine is a grocery getter). On my previous truck I had a hard cap on it. Come upon a yard sale with something I wanted and couldn't get it due to the size. That is why I now have a roll-up tonnaeu cover on my truck.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I had intended to order out a truck, But I found the local dealer was more willing to deal more on the trucks they had on the lot.

The days of being able to special order a vehicle are coming to a end. The assembly lines are getting so automated that it much easier and cost effective just to offer a few trim levels.

I don't think anyone even offers a manual transmission on a full size truck .
Ram still does.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
When i bought my 02 2500hd last spring i had been searching for months and had to accept a long bed to get a reasonable price. They are everywhere up here. Good luck getting a shortbed HD with a real engine. Either 8.1 or the duramax.

Id trade for the same thing in shortbed in a heartbeat. I have a 10' trailer for long stuff.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Too many city cowboys buying trucks. Look at how many 4x4 never leave the road. The concrete cowboys didn't need a full sized box, but wanted more room for the kids.:unknown:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Dealers order trucks they think are popular and will sell pretty fast. The majority of truck owners do not actually use them as trucks and that even includes 3/4 truck owners these days. It used to be sporty trucks were just the 1/2 ton shortbeds. Find a salesman you trust or is engergetic. If he/she wants to make a sale they will find the truck you want.

If you want a flat bed like others have suggested, I recommend buying a Cab/Chassis and then going to an outfitter to have the bed you want put on there. Cab/Chassis tend to have a slightly different wheel base and width than "civilian" trucks and flatbeds are made for them so you should not have any fitment issues.

I have a 1 ton dually with an 8 foot bed and crew cab. It does take some real estate to park it and maneuver it. Most of the time it is worth it to me and my family. I was never much on a 8 foot beds until I got this truck. I like them for all the utility they provide.

You may try looking at 1 ton trucks, a lot of them are 8 foot beds. Depending on how you option it, it may work out to be cheaper in the end. Most 1 tons are made for work not play so they can be a bit Spartan and thus cheaper.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts