Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used L118A and cannot find a repair/service/shop manual for it. I found a user's manual and parts lists, but no repair manual. Do any even exist? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
EBAY search; John Deere TM2026. There is a bunch of them on there, for a fraction of the price above.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks, SRG! In the meantime, can anyone post a diagram of the right side of the engine for my tractor? It starts right up, is quiet, and runs great, but someone stuffed a rag in the right side of it. I want to know what the rag is stuffed inside before I pull it out to investigate.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I just bought a used L118A and cannot find a repair/service/shop manual for it. I found a user's manual and parts lists, but no repair manual. Do any even exist? :dunno:
Sent You a Private Message with some Help :bigthumb:

·
Registered
408 Posts

Don't go for the "you can buy one" online.

Here is a "free" manual you can see and print out. Click on this website. "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

Click on the "Red Banner" area and click on "Manuals". Scroll down to the one you need (Category) that you need. Briggs & Stratton"
You must know the Model Series...engine serial number to get the PDF file. Read at your hearts content.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I believe that was a 2004 -2006 model .:think: You don't say whether its the 20HP or 22HP engine. But Briggs & Stratton should have resource online. :geek:

No clue about the rag... maybe cowling missing... oil leak... missing part.... If you could post pics... we could give better answers... actually if it's running and hasn't sucked the rag up in there it would probably be okay to take a look :hi:

:ttiwwp:

Sorry... couldn't resist....always wanted to use this smiley:laugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Question for an X580...

I am new to the forum, having just purchased a used X580. I'm also looking for where to get a repair manual for this model. I've searched the usual places, but no luck. I can only find an Operator's manual (which the previous owner had lost, but promised to buy and mail to me - and I believe him)....

Any ideas where to find the technical or repair manual for this one?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
I am new to the forum, having just purchased a used X580. I'm also looking for where to get a repair manual for this model. I've searched the usual places, but no luck. I can only find an Operator's manual (which the previous owner had lost, but promised to buy and mail to me - and I believe him)....

Any ideas where to find the technical or repair manual for this one?

Thanks for any and all help.

Use the same link that is above in the 2nd post. Enter your model number and look through the results for the technical manual that matches your model and serial number. That will tell you the manual number. Any Deere dealer can order one for you, you can order it yourself through Deere or you can search the web to see if someone else has one for sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use the same link that is above in the 2nd post. Enter your model number and look through the results for the technical manual that matches your model and serial number. That will tell you the manual number. Any Deere dealer can order one for you, you can order it yourself through Deere or you can search the web to see if someone else has one for sale.
Yes, already tried that. That site doesn't list anything but the Operator's Manual for the X580. Guess I will have to go to a dealer and ask.

Thanks!

Brad

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes, already tried that. That site doesn't list anything but the Operator's Manual for the X580. Guess I will have to go to a dealer and ask.

Thanks!

Brad
Need to know you serial number for one or two different manuals (mostly operators manual updates through out production), but these should cover your machine pretty well.....

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I believe that was a 2004 -2006 model .:think: You don't say whether its the 20HP or 22HP engine. But Briggs & Stratton should have resource online. :geek: No clue about the rag... maybe cowling missing... oil leak... missing part.... If you could post pics... we could give better answers... actually if it's running and hasn't sucked the rag up in there it would probably be okay to take a look :hi:
I have no clue what year it is, but do know it has a 20HP engine. However, I did figure out the rag's purpose. It's to keep the oil from draining out of the engine. Isn't that silly? The part is like $12! Anyway, I'm going to buy and install it when Jethro is due for his next oil change. BTW, when is that ... in hours, I assume?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well.... :knownothing:

General Rule of thumb for outdoor power equipment is usually: :bigthumb:

:read

200 Hours for SPARK PLUG ( Generally 2 Seasons maybe 3)

200 Hours for OIL FILTER (Generally 2 Seasons)

100 Hours for OIL CHANGE (Generally 1 Season)

200 Hours for AIR FILTER (Max... I change Every Season) ( 'cause of the dirt I'll kick up) :banghead:

Lube cables and levers with good spray lube and grease all spindles, and zircs every 2 years. :hi:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, Mr. 2018JD. This is my first time owning anything with an hour meter. My cars go by mileage or months, my push mower goes by (well, I give him the works annually), and my dump truck (Gorilla Cart) gets new tires when his flatten. Jethro's oil looks fairly new, air filter looks good, spark plugs look fine (will check gap later), his battery isn't that old, and I'll soon grease him and replace his tire assemblies, so he should be good to go for a few more months. :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
58 Posts
:p Ohhhh... that's what I forgot... :oops:

Buy a "Battery Tender" from Harbor Freight when they go on sale ($5.99) .... and unhook the negative terminal and put it on when "Jethro" ain't eating grass. That way the battery will last years.
I've had the same battery on my mower going on 7 years now doing this. :mockery:

Actually.... I think this may be the 2nd Battery Tender.... :mocking: I've got several of them on all batteries.... but $5 is cheaper than $40+ :spider::rocket:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have no clue what year it is, but do know it has a 20HP engine. However, I did figure out the rag's purpose. It's to keep the oil from draining out of the engine. Isn't that silly? The part is like $12! Anyway, I'm going to buy and install it when Jethro is due for his next oil change. BTW, when is that ... in hours, I assume?
Just my two cents, but if it were me, I'd fix the oil drain/rag thing now before I'd start mowing with it. Is the rag suppose to be plugging the oil drain spout? I would fix the drain plug, and go ahead and change the oil and filter if it has one. On my gasoline mowers I change the oil about every 25 hours or each season, which ever comes first. Don't forget to check the air filter too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just my two cents, but if it were me, I'd fix the oil drain/rag thing now before I'd start mowing with it. Is the rag suppose to be plugging the oil drain spout? I would fix the drain plug, and go ahead and change the oil and filter if it has one. On my gasoline mowers I change the oil about every 25 hours or each season, which ever comes first. Don't forget to check the air filter too.
Thanks, Jimmy! Apparently the leak isn't bad enough to worry about - will keep an eye out on the oil level though. It wasn't until I looked at my neighbor's LA100 that I discovered which part that rag is hiding on my L118. I've ordered the Maintenance Kit, but still trying to find the Oil Drain Kit without having to pay more than the part is worth in shipping fees. :nunu:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts