1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where was your JD tractor Built??

After reading through a few threads....

The "what JD tractor would you restore" ...etc

I see that many machines are built in certain areas..Some in Germany , others here in the states.
Seems that the newer smaller ones are a blend of overseas in less than desireable places.

So is there a place "site" to go to that spells out what model was made where??

Seems odd that some of the older Big units were German made...Is this a good thing?

Why was it done this way?

Seems like shipping would explain the costs on particular units:gizmo:

Its just got my curiosity.

I'm in the market for something bigger than the 955...50 hp + , Has to have a loader & 4x4.
Not interested in any of the New stuff...Too much $$ , Hate emissions and computer systems in my toys.

Tractor data does a fair job of explaining the basics.
Not Knowing all the model #'s or even what I'm looking for...
I'd like to find a list of what was made when ? & where?
Then I could narrow my search .....to a few select models that meet my needs and weren't problem units if that makes sense.
Sooo.....:munch:

·
Registered
986 Posts

I see that many machines are built in certain areas..Some in Germany , others here in the states.
Seems that the newer smaller ones are a blend of overseas in less than desireable places.

Seems odd that some of the older Big units were German made...Is this a good thing?

I'm in the market for something bigger than the 955...50 hp + , Has to have a loader & 4x4.
Not interested in any of the New stuff...Too much $$ , Hate emissions and computer systems in my toys.

Then I could narrow my search .....to a few select models that meet my needs and weren't problem units if that makes sense.
I would also like to know. Just ordered a 2032r and would like to know where all the parts originated. I also have little use for the software driven systems so common today. Seems most of my issues with new iron the last few years is with the software not the hardware

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would also like to know. Just ordered a 2032r and would like to know where all the parts originated. I also have little use for the software driven systems so common today. Seems most of my issues with new iron the last few years is with the software not the hardware
There is no way to know where all of the parts are made. Here is what info I have from looking over my own tractors.

5100M- assembled in USA. The front axle is made in China by Dana. The major cast iron components are made in China and India. The loader and bucket are Mexican.

4052R- assembled in USA. Loader and bucket are Mexican. I think the engine is from Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is probably as good as you are going to get, but remember that some models might be built in more than one place.

TractorData.com - John Deere farm tractors sorted by factory

Dave

That is quite a shocking list.

I didn't think I'd ever get to the USA.

While a ton of machines are built in some shady places.....I wonder how many of those are sent are way..if any?

Typicly when browsing YT or whatever...you see crazy 2 wheeled stuff or standard but goofy colored tractors.

Never see a fleet of normal green....

Gonna have to do some more digging............

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts

While a ton of machines are built in some shady places.....I wonder how many of those are sent are way..if any?

Typicly when browsing YT or whatever...you see crazy 2 wheeled stuff or standard but goofy colored tractors.

That is what they buy because of the pathetic wage they get.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

In general, I think you can say that the 5 series mostly come from India. The 1 thru 4 series come from Augusta Ga. The 6 series mostly come from germany. 7,8 and 9 series come from a country called Iowa.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
In general, I think you can say that the 5 series mostly come from India. The 1 thru 4 series come from Augusta Ga. The 6 series mostly come from germany. 7,8 and 9 series come from a country called Iowa.

Dave
Assembled or made?

There is some part on my 3 series that I can see from the seat that says "Made in China" and I grrrrrrr every time I see it.

Now that place called Iowa....... That just sounds strange to me.:lol:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Assembled or made?

There is some part on my 3 series that I can see from the seat that says "Made in China" and I grrrrrrr every time I see it.

Now that place called Iowa....... That just sounds strange to me.:lol:

JD is a global company, so it will have parts from all over the world. What we are really talking about here is where it is "made" or assembled. My 4066R is from Augusta Ga, but has international parts. Also the 1025R I had. I would not buy any that came from India.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
JD is a global company,

I would not buy any that came from India.

Dave
Is that like the global warming I keep hearing about? :dunno:

India / Iowa - they kinda sound the same.....:lol:

FWIW, Kubota also has a plant in Georgia. :hide:

Duke, If you are looking for "Made in America" you might have to first know when JD became a "global company".

Pretty sure any of the lettered tractors (A, B, etc) or those that only have two numbers (40, 60, etc) are pretty safe bets.

It just depends on how Red, White, and Blue you want to be.

·
Registered
986 Posts

Dave
I don't know about that there Iowa, all i ever seen out there wuz corn...Can you make a tractor outa green corn maybe....I understand! yeehaaa...I understand why poppin Johnnies were poppin now!!.....:laugh:.....i like pop corn

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Duke, If you are looking for "Made in America" you might have to first know when JD became a "global company".

Pretty sure any of the lettered tractors (A, B, etc) or those that only have two numbers (40, 60, etc) are pretty safe bets.

I guess I assumed that all the earlier Green ones ( 1960 ish ,70's,80's even into the 90's) were basicly built Here.

Looking through the list it seems perhaps not.

The alphabet units are out.....no 4x4 ,most are trikes ,no loaders...aside from that the simplicity is there.
Besides all those letter things bug me...irs atf blm..etc

My wish of 50 ish hp....well thats different in an older vs newer tractor and not the driving force in my quest.
Probably what makes more sense is actual weight of tractor.
I need to move short fat logs.....A tractor that weighs +- 4000 # seems about right and Green would be great.
Not opposed to Orange..they have treated me well. Not going to venture into the other garbage on the market
My 955 is just shy of 2000 #..double would feel comfortable.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

In my humble opinion, you have to remember the old sage advise "follow the money". That will tell you whether it is "American" or not. If the money goes across the ocean, it is "foreign". If the money comes to the USA, it is "American". So it really does not matter where it is built or where the parts come from. Where does the money go? So someone said Kubota had an assembly plant in Georgia. The money from every one of those tractors sold will leave this country, making them foreign, in spite of the fact they are assembled here. We get to keep a little bit from the wages and taxes paid, but the profit leaves this country. The large amounts of money leaving this country is not a good thing. We need to keep it right here.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
In my humble opinion, you have to remember the old sage advise "follow the money". That will tell you whether it is "American" or not. If the money goes across the ocean, it is "foreign". If the money comes to the USA, it is "American".
I disagree. My 2210 and 2305 both said "Made in Japan" on the manufacturers name plate. Only a few dollars profit stayed in this country. The bulk of the dollars and all the labor went overseas. My Tundra is more American made than either of those tractors.

You have to follow ALL of the money and not just the corporate profit. There is much more money in manufacturing plants and supply chains than in any corporate office building.

So it really does not matter where it is built or where the parts come from. Where does the money go?
So that would mean that Titan is "American" as John Deere.

The 5 series from India that for some reason you don't like is as "American" as a 7, 8 or 9 series.

I guess that depends whether you are are following corporate or blue collar dollars.

Sorry Duke. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

:zip:

But in the middle of my rant, I did think of something.

Have you considered a 5 series?

They appear to be quite popular and quite a few on the used market.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
Gear or Hydro?

Hydro will limit you to a 4 series, but the 4105 is still a meat and potatoes tractor, and it hits the scales at 2987 lbs. Add the loader and rear ballast and your over 4K. There is one in Bend, OR with only 200 hours for $24,000

The 5105 (50hp) was made from 2000 to 2007 and weights in at 2,850 to 4,500 lbs. It is listed as Augusta, GA as the assembly point. The listings I found with MFWD were from $18 to 20k.

How much loader capacity do you want?

The 4015 at full height at the pins is just under 1,400#
The 5105 at full height at the pins is just over 2,000#

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
My 5075E is made in Augusta (Grovetown) GA.
That is the tractor we had at work and it was a real capable machine.

I was going to suggest it as well, but Machinery Pete shows it being made in Pune, India?

75hp, weighs 4,600 to 5,475 pounds and the loader data shows 2,450 lbs capacity at the pins at full height.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My initial thoughts were a 5 series....Ya'll got me a bit spooked on those.

The newer 4's seem fine but I'm not playing tier 4 . or any of that type stuff. I've got a deleted truck that has given me my fill of any emission sh&^ I ever want to deal with again ...ever.

If I had 1500 # lift on the loader I could get by..2000 would be better.

Something from the 90's seems like the target market.

Hydro is preferred but I'd do a gear possibly. Hydros seem to be lower profile which is a better fit for my place.

Lots of bigger units in my area....NO loaders on them.

I don't mind the Hyjacks at all.......Pile on people.

:munch:

I like this 4 series but way too much money..
John Deere tractor 4450 - farm garden - by owner - sale

The 4xxx series seems to change every few years....

Some are compacts
Some are ginormous

Why did they have to complicate the # system..

Is there an easy way or formula to decypher the code??

·
Registered
494 Posts
td - If by "built" you mean "assembled", then my '05 4720 open station was assembled in Augusta, Ga. from components manufactured in a variety of locales. I'd prefer an all American component tractor, but the capitalist in me realizes that this is not economically practical.

Brian

1 - 20 of 41 Posts