Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 8" long as shown with the wear and I am having trouble finding a replacement this short. I do not think that length should matter that much. Nichols Tillage has about the closest thing to it with the correct shape. Has anyone used their points?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Looks like it was originally a double point. The top is the worn edge. Just match the mounting holes. Try any farm supply store, tillage section.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that, none of the farm stores stock them and JD, Kubota and MF dealers have to order them. They are also outrageous on their prices.

I also don't want any Chinese garbage, if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

I’ve been looking at cultivator sweeps and shovels lately too for a project cultivator I’m rebuilding. These places have some different types and sizes, might find what you need there.
Do you have pics of your whole cultivator?

·
Registered
3025E
273 Posts
Second vote for Shoup, they are great to deal with. We have ordered sweeps and chisel points for our ag equipment from them.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Looks like a pregnant squid
Just sayin

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for the links MTB98. It says John Deere on it, but I suspect it's an old Massey Ferguson.

What are you using that implement for?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I buy those chisel plow points from Ag Supply. They hold up as long as US made. Wear one side, flip them over and change he when they wear out.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
I tried that, none of the farm stores stock them and JD, Kubota and MF dealers have to order them. They are also outrageous on their prices.

I also don't want any Chinese garbage, if it can be avoided.
Weiss makes their points in the US. If you contact them, they will give you the names of distributors and possibly dealers. Be aware that steel is in short supply and there are shortages of tillage parts because of that. However, that looks like a standard tooth and someone will have one or a hundred in stock.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have updated y'all, I ordered them from Shoup and they will be here tomorrow, honored my Ag exemption with the proper form filled out and signed. Good people and service was awesome.

I am using it for the garden and in the pasture where I have a cactus problem. I am reinstalling the center shank, removing the sweeps and spacing the shanks back out like it came from the factory. I told the GF that I might even paint it.

Weise Industries has what looks like the exact point that was on it originally.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've never seen a chisel plow with sweeps mounted. I guess someone was using it for a cultivator/garden plow.

Reactions: RayLagrange

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,460 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a little refurbishing while waiting on the points to arrive. I reinstalled the removed shank, spaced the rest evenly. After the first two or three bolts broke, I ordered grade 8 flanged bolts with flanged serrated nuts. I also replaced the remaining bolts with flanged and serrated hardware. I had to do a little fitting on the 3pt to get it to fit up tight with the frame of the chisel. You can see the gaps in the 3pt and the frame marked. Everything is nice and tight now. Got a friend who has a paint shop that specializes in heavy equipment who is going to repaint it for me, can't decide if I want to paint it JD green or back with the original red oxide color it came with.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, she's got new shoes and ready to go to work.

Picked up this little find for $100 and was on the way home from work.

Independent Manufacturing Co. of Neodesha, Kansas. I haven't heard of them before but it was worth $100 even if it is scrap iron.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts