Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other night I happened to be in an area where there was an ongoing manhunt by police that later turned into a short car chase.
A local police department called for a helicopter to assist in the search. When the helicopter arrived, I couldn't help but notice how quiet it was. The usual rotor chop was not present and that helicopter was continuously making tight turns while using spotlights to keep track of the person/s of interest.

A car was used in an attempt to flee from the scene while the helicopter remained right above and illuminated the area. It was after 7 pm so I couldn't see very much of the chopper. Initially, I thought it might be from DPS, but not certain. Could've been from any number of agencies.

Wonder if it was a Eurocopter?

It circled for an hour or more and chased the car to the end of a dead end road. Since it was so quiet, you could easily hear the pilot talking on the loudspeaker to people on the ground. He kept identifying the aircraft as police and making requests.
I've seen DPS choppers and from what I was able to see of this one it didn't look like any of those.

By the time I decided to drive closer to the scene and try to get a closer look at the chopper, it flew away.
I'm still amazed at just how quiet it was. It was not a small helicopter at all. From some of the words stated by the pilot over the loud speaker, somebody on the ground must've been doing something to tick him off.

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
There are several makes of helicopters that have "quiet" models.

Here's McDonnell Douglas 500 with the 'NOTAR' system. No tail rotor. Uses a directed stream of air through a vent where the tail rotor normally lives for yaw control.

Here's a ducted fan type of helicopter. Kenny sees these MD state trooper birds all the time I bet, the Aerospatiale Dauphin.

There are others out there, but without an image or a recording of the distinct sound each machine makes, it'll be hard to tell. Can you look up by the police department name and see what they fly?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kenny thanks for the link and video. It's very possible it did. I tried to see if I could spot that design feature when I was closer on foot before the car fled but the trees blocked my view.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info and pics Diesel. I couldn't see even the word, "police", on the copter. Usually around here they have that much on them. The town where this was at doesn't have any aircraft.

Guess I could ask someone at that department.

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Jason, the Prince Georges County PD has a small fleet NOTAR's, they are looking at changing because parts are limited and expensive (comparatively anyway). They would do a fly in at our local RC Heli club FunFly every year and stay for two hours. I was offered a ride-along many times ( Iwas president of the club for 10+ years)...just never was able to hook up with the captain, I have his business card still on my desk.

And as for the MSP, they are switching to the AW 139 from Agusta Aerospace Corporation. 6 of them for 72.2 million:
N382.JPG

Our club visited their main hanger/shop some 20 years ago (wow I am getting old!)

Sorry for the derail G&R Man!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You didn't derail at all. Enjoy learning new info. Thanks. A friend of mine that's a veteran and pilot used to build aircraft parts for a living. He went into business for himself. One of his customers asked him to build a small helicopter based on someone else's plans. What's kind of amusing, after all the time and expense, the customer never flew the copter and decided to sell it. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts