Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about either a Woodmax WM-8H or a Woodland Mills WC88... any experience or preferences??? many thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I have owned the Woodland mills chipper and stump grinder for a couple years now. I have been happy with both products that I have bought from them.
The big thing or something that was recommended to me back when I was shopping for a chipper, was to make sure it has a hydraulic feed, which the Woodland mills has.
I have ran my Woodland mills on multiple different tractors ranging from my 2025R, 2038R, 3033R, and a 4066R.

The 2025R runs the Chipper just fine, it is just at the ragged edge of being too heavy for the 2025R's 3 point to pick it up. It does it, but seems to struggle a bit to get it to full height.
Not sure what your planning to run it with?

Reactions: DBCSteve

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just ordered a Woodland Mills WC68 for my 3046R, based on many reviews including those on GTT. Lots of users use this same chipper on lower-PTO-powered tractors with success, but I think the WC68 is well-matched for my tractor. Could have gone with the WC88 but anything over about 4 inches is firewood. Will post review once I receive and use.

As an engineer (and so is my wife), we appreciate the design features of this chipper.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just asked a very similar question. Maybe these replies also help you:

Wood Chippers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
26,380 Posts

·
Registered
3046r
2 Posts
I run the Woodland Mills WC88 on my 3046r. I rarely chip anything over 6" but the larger opening lets me feed in gnarly branches without trimming them. The chipper on the 3046r (about 35hp on the pto) has handled everything I put through including some 6-7" pine logs. The only issue I've had is with the hydraulic infeed. Only the top roller is powered and sometimes it just spins and chews up the branch without pushing it into the flywheel. I can usually back it out and roll the branch around to get it to feed. It's a minor annoyance that slows me down but maybe someone with a Woodmaxx can comment on whether that happens as the Woodmaxx has both the top and bottom rollers powered. I've adjusted the down pressure a couple of times but never eliminated the problem. The WC88 infeed chute folds up which reduces the storage space, not sure if the Woodmaxx does that.

Overall I'm pleased with the Woodland Mills.

Reactions: DBCSteve

·
Registered
58 Posts
What tractor are you attaching the chipper to? I run the WoodMaxx 8H on a Gen 1 2032R and I could not be happier with it. It will swallow 7" to 8" limbs but I use those for firewood/kindling. The WM8H has a large intake shoot which means a lot less limbing of trees and brush. Get the branch started and walk away to get the next one. I usually let my pile get pretty big because it goes through it very quickly!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have a MX-88 chipper and I am very satisfied. The lower in-feed is not directly powered so like the Woodland Mills unit it will slip and chew at anything fed into it that jambs up in the chute. The principle differences are the access to the chipper blades, entry table angle, and in-feed control handle. As I recall my decision: blade access is better on the Woodland, in-feed control neutral but better on Woodmaxx, and a level table sealed the deal for the Woodmaxx - it can drag a 20'+ trunk in, wasn't so sure the Woodland can with the up angle table.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Have a WM WC46 on the 2025R. It could easily handle a WC68 if on level ground. The WC46's 510 # weight is noticable on our slopes. Would not want the WC68 on slopes with the 2025R.

The 2025R just loafs along while chipping on the WC46. Easily does the full 4 inch size and as long as what you can drag around and put into its horizontal inlet chute.

Ralph

1 - 9 of 9 Posts