Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a chipper for my 1025. Was looking at the Woodmax TM 86 H then found the Woodland Mills WC 46 or WC 68. Both are basically the same price with free shipping and both seem to be very similar in build.

Woodmax is built in Buffalo NY but have no idea where Woodland Mills is built. Somewhere in Europe I assume

Anybody have any opinion on the above chippers?

Wood Chipper Shredder | PTO Wood Chipper | Wood Shredder | Wood Chipper Attachment | Chipper for small tractor - WoodMaxx

WC46 4 PTO Wood Chipper, Wood Chipper | Woodland Mills USA

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'll be watch this.
I'm tossing around a chipper purchase too.
Been looking at wallenstein chippers.

Can't decide if I should go with auto feed or not.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definatly want auto feed. I have a stand alone mighty Mac chipper now which is a decent chipper but want auto feed. Tired of feeding by hand

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
The decision to get auto-feed or not all depends on how much you intend to use the chipper in my opinion. If the chipper will be used here and there occasionally, auto-feed is purely a luxury. If you have a lot of chipping to do, auto-feed will surely increase your productivity and reduce your level of effort required to feed the machine. I personally am opting for an auto-feed machine due to the large volume of chipping I will be doing. I am going with WoodMaxx after having done all my research.... Best of luck to you on your selection.

9 PTO Wood Chipper Shredder | Made in the USA | 3pt. Wood Chipper Attachment -WoodMaxx

Sincerely

Reactions: Termite

·
Registered
536 Posts
I definatly want auto feed. I have a stand alone mighty Mac chipper now which is a decent chipper but want auto feed. Tired of feeding by hand
Agree and sometimes the branches bounce back and forth hitting hard on my fingers :banghead:

Reactions: Tomfive and Termite

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Termite - the chippers you're looking at are both Chinese. Woodmaxx is based in NY and Woodland Mills is based in Canada.

The Woodland Mills chippers are (I think) a little newer on the scene than the WoodMaxx chippers. Everybody that I've read about that has the WoodMaxx that you referenced seems to love it! For the money, it's supposed to be a great chipper. Also, WoodMaxx imports the chippers and then upgrades the knives and maybe a few other components on them to USA made components. I don't think that Woodland Mills does that.

The WoodMaxx 9900 that Homestead Joe references is actually made by WoodMaxx in the USA. That's the chipper that I have. It's more than double the cost of the one that you're looking at. It's an AWESOME chipper and I'm super happy with it. If it will fit through the chute, it will chip it!! :good2:

I do believe that the 9900 might require a little more PTO horsepower than the TM86 though. Also depends on your budget and your preferences which way you want to go.

Regardless of what you get, make sure you get something with a power feed. I had a "self feed" Bearcat chipper before I bought my WoodMaxx. The difference is amazing and I can chip about 3-4x the amount of material in the same amount of time with the power fed unit. That's important to an old guy like me!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll second (or is that third or fourth) the auto-feed. I've got a bearcat and I'm almost completely stopped using it and burning the stuff instead because it's so much work to feed.
The woodmax upgrade is on my list when funds become available.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
I'll be watch this.
I'm tossing around a chipper purchase too.
Been looking at wallenstein chippers.

Can't decide if I should go with auto feed or not.
Get the one that is the best bang for the buck just as long as it has auto feed. Mine does not have auto feed and every time I use it my arms come away all scratched up and bloody. It is also hard to feed if you're trying to chip vines. Another thing you want to think about is while you're pushing a limb into the chipper and it had small limbs coming off of it, it's harder to push it through. With auto feed you just make it grab and walk away and let the chipper do what it's supposed to do, chip everything you give it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The decision to get auto-feed or not all depends on how much you intend to use the chipper in my opinion. If the chipper will be used here and there occasionally, auto-feed is purely a luxury. If you have a lot of chipping to do, auto-feed will surely increase your productivity and reduce your level of effort required to feed the machine. I personally am opting for an auto-feed machine due to the large volume of chipping I will be doing. I am going with WoodMaxx after having done all my research.... Best of luck to you on your selection.

9 PTO Wood Chipper Shredder | Made in the USA | 3pt. Wood Chipper Attachment -WoodMaxx

Sincerely
Thanks for the heads up:bigthumb:

I especially like the made in the USA feature, I'm willing to pay more for a better made product and if I help employ my neighbors all the better!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sincerely
That is a nice chipper but way overkill for what I need. Even the small one is over kill but getting older is tough so looking to make things easier

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am in the market too. I am really leaning towards the Woodland Mills WC68. I like the design. The shute folds up for transport, the blades are easy to access. I like the bar in the back for forward/reverse/neutral. It just seems like a simple, well thought out machine. BUT, like you, I keep going back and forth....

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts

Sincerely
That is a nice chipper but way overkill for what I need. Even the small one is over kill but getting older is tough so looking to make things easier
Termite,
I wasn't suggesting that you should get the WoodMaxx 9900 for your purpose. It's merely what I narrowed down to in my selection process. It's a bit overkill for me too, but will certainly handle the huge amount of chipping I have ahead of me. We all get what we think works right for us given our own particular set of circumstances. I am sure you will make the right decision for your own needs, at least in part - based on the excellent feedback you receive from the members of this GTT forum.

8 PTO Wood Chipper Tree Chipper Brush Chipper - Hydraulic Feed

Sincerely

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the WC68 to clear storm damage at my house and I had a ton of damage. I was a little skeptical since the 2520 is at the low end of PTO power requirement for the WC68, but after talking to their customer service (which is very good and knowledgeable) I decided to go with it. Plus they were shipping in 2 days versus about 6 weeks for Woodmaxx.

From my experience and many hours of usage now, I am extremely happy with the WC68. Far exceeded my expectations. If you have a 30+ hp at the PTO, it is unstoppable. Personally, for what I had to do, hydraulic feed was the only option

20180731_171701.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in the market too. I am really leaning towards the Woodland Mills WC68. I like the design. The shute folds up for transport, the blades are easy to access. I like the bar in the back for forward/reverse/neutral. It just seems like a simple, well thought out machine. BUT, like you, I keep going back and forth....
This is the one i'm leaning toward also. The design is almost identical between the 2 but two things I like better is the lower angle on the infeed and the safety bar seems to be behind the infeed chute so it might not trip from branches hitting it. Might give them a call today to chat

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I called them today and got that warm and fuzzy feeling about their product and company.

I am really liking the WC 68 but at 710 lbs is there any concern about lifting it with a 1025R?

If there is I might have to drop back to the WC 46 which is 575 lbs

Reactions: HomesteadJoe

·
Registered
375 Posts
So I called them today and got that warm and fuzzy feeling about their product and company.

I am really liking the WC 68 but at 710 lbs is there any concern about lifting it with a 1025R?

If there is I might have to drop back to the WC 46 which is 575 lbs
Well that just cost me about 2 hours of youtubing thorough research, however it was a good 2 hours spent because I didn't know about the Woodland Mills brand. :good2:

I too am in the market for a chipper and had decided on a WoodMaxx TM-86h for my 1025R. Now I'm leaning towards the Woodland Mills. I like that the in-feed is at a lower angle. I'm not sure how I feel about having a belt for the hydraulic pump, but it's a simple enough mechanism (with a low cost belt) that it shouldn't cause any issues. Just have to remember to have a spare belt on hand.

I believe the WC68 is going to be pushing the upper limits of what the 1025R can handle, specifically because of the weight of the chipper. I'm guessing the chipping performance would be fine with branches 3" and under, but anything larger and it will probably struggle with the lack of horsepower (I believe they want 40hp PTO for a 6" branch at full in-feed speed). I would think as long as you keep the branches around 3" or less and slow down the in-feed speed it should chip fine.

The real issue, as you've pointed out, is the weight of the chipper. The 1025R is only rated for 681 lbs. at the three point hitch. The WC68 chipper is 710 lbs. however that may not include the 5 gallons of hydraulic oil you'll need (the shipping weight is 800 lbs). It's probably to much for the 1025R to handle without popping the relief valve.

The safe bet is the WC46 for the 1025R.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
What seems to be missing from all the manufacturer's lineups is a PTO chipper/shredder suitable for the PTO power of a 1025R. I don't need to do big branches. I have a lot of yard waste to shred. It can't take up much space in my garage. And I don't want a separate engine to maintain.

Reactions: HomesteadJoe

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm really not looking to chip anything larger than 3-4" so power won't be an issue. Just figured it would be easier to run crooked stuff without spending the time to trim all the branches off to fit down the chute. The 6" x 8" woodmax is 595lbs I think and the woodland mills is 710 with the woodland mills 4" x 6" is 575lbs

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Registered
375 Posts
What seems to be missing from all the manufacturer's lineups is a PTO chipper/shredder suitable for the PTO power of a 1025R. I don't need to do big branches. I have a lot of yard waste to shred. It can't take up much space in my garage. And I don't want a separate engine to maintain.
Actually both the Woodland Mills Wc46 and the WoodMaxx TM-86h are both specifically designed for the 1025 sized sub- compact tractor.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts