Green Tractor Talk banner

Which deck lift is installed on your 1 series?

• Mechanical

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Hydraulic

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Independent

Votes: 17 20.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious what everyone is using to lift their mower deck.

There are three options

Mechanical - tied to the 3 pt hitch and is raised / lowered using the 3 pt lever

Hydraulic - hose plugs into the loader valve and is raised / lowered using the loader lever or using the third SCV

Independent - raised / lowered using a dash mount switch, no hoses to deal with just the switch and the height knob

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got the hydraulic using the loader lever. Regret it immediately after having to swap hoses the first few times. Now I'm considering reverting to mechanical or upgrading to the independent lift.

Depends which one will be more cost efficient...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I got the hydraulic using the loader lever. Regret it immediately after having to swap hoses the first few times. Now I'm considering reverting to mechanical or upgrading to the independent lift.

If swapping a few hoses is the hardest work you have I feel for ya.:empathy3: This is a dream compared to my old NH. You are able to mow with the FEL on? To many tight areas for me to do that.

If you are made of money (or work for a dealer and get huge discounts and therefore can install your own) then get the independent, otherwise revert to the mechanical, which is in reality hydraulic anyway.

Why could you not use a two way diverter valve? Then it is only turning the valve for flow to one hose or the other? I will play musical hoses.... Cause the FEL comes off anyway.:thumbup1gif:

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts

Would you want to trade after the mowing season is over?
I want to go from mechanical to hydraulic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If swapping a few hoses is the hardest work you have I feel for ya.:empathy3: This is a dream compared to my old NH. You are able to mow with the FEL on? To many tight areas for me to do that.

If you are made of money (or work for a dealer and get huge discounts and therefore can install your own) then get the independent, otherwise revert to the mechanical, which is in reality hydraulic anyway.

Why could you not use a two way diverter valve? Then it is only turning the valve for flow to one hose or the other? I will play musical hoses.... Cause the FEL comes off anyway.:thumbup1gif:

Bill
It's a factor of storage. I don't have a shed built yet so I'll have to take the FEL and BH off/on after every mowing in order to put the tractor away. Wouldn't be an issue if I had a place to drop the FEL out of the way until I needed it.

The other thing that causes me grief is that swapping just the deck hose requires me to take 3 of the FEL hoses off just to get access. Not sure if there's not enough slack in the deck hose or what.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a factor of storage. I don't have a shed built yet so I'll have to take the FEL and BH off/on after every mowing in order to put the tractor away. Wouldn't be an issue if I had a place to drop the FEL out of the way until I needed it.

The other thing that causes me grief is that swapping just the deck hose requires me to take 3 of the FEL hoses off just to get access. Not sure if there's not enough slack in the deck hose or what.
You will love the independent lift. I hated swapping hose, not because it was hard but it is cramped and the tractor had to be shut down.

With the independent lift it just makes changing quicker and cleaner.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Independent, all the way

When I decided to buy my 1025r FILB, I wanted the 60" deck added. When the salesman asked if I wanted the mechanical or hydraulic lift, I was befuddled. I thought it was silly not to be able to use each feature independently. I picked up the brochure, pointed to the cover picture of a man riding off into the sunset with a loader, backhoe and mower attached and basically said, "I want what he's got". This raised the curiosity of the salesman enough that he put in a call to Mother Deere and discovered that there was indeed a way to do just that. It took two weeks for the kits (one for the independent lift and one for the independent lift if you have PB) to come in. I'm so glad I don't have to hook or unhook hoses, and that I can mow with my 3pt sprayer, or whatever I want, hanging on the back.

They did a great job on the setup of the mower and independent lift with the exception of routing one hydro hose and a minor adjustment to aid in releasing the deck. I got the hose rerouted and have yet to make the adjustment to the draft links.

Reactions: psrumors

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ordered the tractor with the mechanical lift (for self install), but the dealer delivered a deck with the hydraulic kits at no extra charge (not the independent kit).

I plan to buy and install the independent kit because I really don't like swapping the hoses; I always manage to get hydraulic oil all over my hands.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ordered the tractor with the mechanical lift (for self install), but the dealer delivered a deck with the hydraulic kits at no extra charge (not the independent kit).

I plan to buy and install the independent kit because I really don't like swapping the hoses; I always manage to get hydraulic oil all over my hands.
I added the independent lift....it wasn't too bad.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/10569-installing-independent-valve-hose-kit-lvb26207.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hydraulic lift but would like to install a small manual diverter valve so I don't have to swap hoses. I did read your install psrumors however I would need to upgrade tools and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1025R FILB, 60D mower, Artillian forks, and Ken's hooks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It seems that a lot of people on this forum have trouble with the mechanical lift. I'm not saying that it's a bad setup but that it seems pretty sensitive to proper adjustment. I recommend that all prospective buyers think hard about the hydraulic lift. I know that I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,897 Posts
Hydraulic - hose plugs into the loader valve and is raised / lowered using the loader lever or using the third SCV. My first 2210 had mechanical lift used it maybe 2 weeks added hydraulic and haven't looked back ( well maybe to back up)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the hydraulic lift and like it. Like the other post, I take off the loader to mow, so I just connect it when I shut off the tractor to remove the loader lines. I've thought about the diverter vale, but it's just not that hard so I have not bothered. Personally I don't think I would like the I dependent lift as the switch in a bad spot for me as I am tall. I just like grabbing the loader joystick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have the "mechanical" lift, but this terminology really threw me. To me mechanical lift always meant physically lifting with a lever, but this "mechanical" lift is actually hydraulic.

This was my first JD buy, was attracted because of the quick-connect deck and fel, and my dealer never mentioned these lift options (not sure they even knew about them). I just expected that the deck and 3-point would have separate (hydraulic) lifts, only finding out after taking delivery that they were tied together. Had I known about the "independent" option before buying I would have opted for that, but probably won't attempt to add it now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts