Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a mitre saw. 10 or 12 inch. Thinking I'll go with a slider as it seems to offer more flexibility.

What are the pros and cons to going 10 or 12? Can't imaging working with more than 2x8 so the 10 should cover me. But should I consider a 12? This is just for home use doing baseboards and odd job stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've had both, and they don't even compare. You won't regret the 12", especially if it is a slider.

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
The only reason NOT to buy the 12" is if you are loading/unloading it to/from a truck every day. The 10" is a bit easier to manhandle around.

I happened into a 12" Hitachi when it was on sale so it was the same price as the 10" at the time. I figured I'd never need it but... why not? I find that I need it 6-8 times a year.

Reactions: glc and goat704!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm looking at buying a mitre saw. 10 or 12 inch. Thinking I'll go with a slider as it seems to offer more flexibility.

What are the pros and cons to going 10 or 12? Can't imaging working with more than 2x8 so the 10 should cover me. But should I consider a 12? This is just for home use doing baseboards and odd job stuff.

Thanks
Main difference is with the thickness of the material you're cutting rather than the width, since a slider will compensate for that. Such as cutting 2x's vs 4x's. In theory, a 10 blade should have less wobble if you were making super precision cuts. Don't know if you would ever run into that in practical applications. I would make sure it was able to make bevel cuts too.

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
614 Posts
I got the sliding Dewalt 779 12" saw and the dewalt folding stand during the holiday sale last year. They were selling the saw and stand as a combo kit for $399 which is a pretty common holiday price for these saws. As somebody else said it's not the lightest thing in the world but the stand is sturdy and makes it really easy to roll around even up stairs.

If you ever plan on doing laminate or wide board flooring having a sliding 12" saw makes life way easier to cut and trim the flooring.

I would definitely go with a 12" saw, if you get the 10" you will just be frustrated when you run into pieces too big for it to cut.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
12" is the way to go. I have had mine for along time and love it.

Reactions: glc and goat704!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
12" vote here too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got the sliding Dewalt 779 12" saw and the dewalt folding stand during the holiday sale last year. They were selling the saw and stand as a combo kit for $399 which is a pretty common holiday price for these saws. As somebody else said it's not the lightest thing in the world but the stand is sturdy and makes it really easy to roll around even up stairs.

If you ever plan on doing laminate or wide board flooring having a sliding 12" saw makes life way easier to cut and trim the flooring.

I would definitely go with a 12" saw, if you get the 10" you will just be frustrated when you run into pieces too big for it to cut.
I have this combo too and it works good. You can roll out around easy and store it upright and out of the way.

I also have a 10" basic Dewalt miter saw that is nice to throw into my truck or my car if I need to take our somewhere for a small job that it isn't worth loading the big one for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
I agree that the 12" is the cats meow. I got my DeWalt DWS780 12" Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw along with the heavy duty aluminum miter saw stand a couple years ago. I got it at the right time too, because I only paid 99 bucks for the heavy duty aluminum miter saw stand!:) Love the integrated positioning system too.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,395 Posts
10" DW717 here, no regrets.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Giz, my brother has an older Craftsman 10" with no regrets. But so far, he's used my saw more than I have.:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that the 12" is the cats meow. I got my DeWalt DWS780 12" Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw along with the heavy duty aluminum miter saw stand a couple years ago. I got it at the right time too, because I only paid 99 bucks for the heavy duty aluminum miter saw stand!
Love the integrated positioning system too.
Wow overwhelming responses to the 12! Think I will take everyone's advice! I cannot see me needing super precision cuts so will take that possibility over the 10.

The dws780 is what I'm looking at if I go 12.

How deep is it if I'm looking at it straight on? It'll stay in garage but trying to see where it'll fit best.

·
Registered
616 Posts
12" vote here too. Especially if you are ever going to do angled cuts, you'll appreciate the bigger blade.

Reactions: goat704! and glc

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow overwhelming responses to the 12! Think I will take everyone's advice! I cannot see me needing super precision cuts so will take that possibility over the 10.

How deep is it if I'm looking at it straight on? It'll stay in garage but trying to see where it'll fit best.
If you haven't, read up on the 779 vs the 780. The 779 is much cheaper, and the only real difference is the blade position indicator. It may be worth the extra money to you, but it might not. To me, it wasn't worth the extra $150 bucks for that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
The only reason I got the more expensive saw was the price! The saw and stand was 599.00!:good2: I can't remember, but I think Home Depot was having some kind of special.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've spent a lot of time behind my old delta 10" and learned a few things that made me weigh lots of options when I just bought my new one last week.

Size doesn't matter...unless you are cutting big wood then it does. IF you never have to cut a 2x12 you don't need a big one...however, if you don't move it around every day having one capable is really nice!

Compound is a good option if you plan on doing crown molding.

For me, the adjustable gates on the miter was what was most important. I have used miter saws where the locks for 45 degrees are 43 on one side and 47 on the other. Getting tight joints just wasn't possible. In fact, I made a miter sled for my table saw just to get around the issue. I looked at every model out there and like the slider, liked the cordless, like the 10", liked the 12"... in the end I narrowed it down to two models that had adjustments for the miter stops to be fine tuned and went with the cheaper of the two.

Oh, and "cheaper" of the two was still $300...

Reactions: goat704! and Gizmo2

·
Registered
39 Posts

That's one issue I had with the 12" units - - they have a really big footprint. They just take up a LOT of space. So if you have a small shop like I do, you better have a true need for the extra cutting capacity (not just theoretical), otherwise it's consuming precious space with no benefit.

The other thing I wanted was to be able to interchange blades with the 10" table saw. This way, I only need one blade diameter in stock and they can be used on either saw. The 12" blades are significantly more expensive, too (the blades that come with the miter or table saws are not all that good, so you'll want to upgrade to a Diablo or similar.)

After weighing my needs and studying the specs carefully, the 10" DeWalt DW717 was my choice. (P.S. It will cut a 2x12")

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think as some hit on size of wood maters. Cutting 4x4 pressure treated corner braces requires hand finishing on mine. The 10 inch blade heeled over at 45 just does not quite make it.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi, I've got two 10" compound miter saws, a Delta, and a Craftsman, and they are both great saws but my fave is the Rigid 12" compound sliding miter saw/stand combo. My decision for Rigid was the lifetime warranty, and the positive stops at all the miter angles. IMO the bigger footprint equates to more precise miters. Kind of like comparing a handgun to a rifle, the rifle has a longer sightplane so it's more accurate. I'm not against DeWalt, I have had a couple of sets of 18v tools/saws/grinders and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set but I'd look at what the guys in the trades use and why before making your decision. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts