Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first finish mower. As some of the guys here know, I used to own a cabin with seven rocky acres. I am getting ready to own my next home which will have 3 to 4 acres of pasture. Previous owner hayed it. I don’t need the hay right now so I am just going to keep it cut. My tractor is a 2038R. So, I know nothing about finish mowers for a tractor. Brand suggestions? Are the King Kutters as good as the Frontiers or Woods? What is difference between single belt and dual belt? 60 or 72 inch? I read rear discharge is usually preferred. Lots of questions, need lots of help. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can’t answer most of these questions but I’d do 72”. It’s what I have as a MMM on my 2038r and it can turn that size easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Sent you a private message . . . :good2:

:greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
I prefer a side discharge, heavy clippings can be directed for easier pick up if needed.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I bought this 6 foot Woods last spring,, it will mow 4 acres of pasture in a blink of an eye behind the JD 4105,,
The mower is rear discharge,, I believe it is a PRD 7200,,
the wheels on this model are REALLY stout compared to the regular Woods 72" mower.

I mowed my daughters 1 acre earlier this week,, my wife asked if that took 15 minutes?
It did take over 15 minutes,, because I was going slow around the trees in the yard,,, just barely over 15 minutes,,, :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coal, I thought about that. I walked the fields and they seem pretty soft. If it works well on the yard around the house I might be able to mow the whole property with it also. Not for sure about that yet. That would just be a bonus. Just looking for some experience. Seems everyone is in agreement that the 2038 can turn a 72 in. 30.4hp at the pto.

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
Coal, I thought about that. I walked the fields and they seem pretty soft. If it works well on the yard around the house I might be able to mow the whole property with it also. Not for sure about that yet. That would just be a bonus. Just looking for some experience. Seems everyone is in agreement that the 2038 can turn a 72 in. 30.4hp at the pto.
A finish mower can work very well in a field as long as it isn’t really rutted or have mounds.

A finish mower can do more like you said but a brush hog may have other uses also. A brush hog can give a nice cut if you sharpen the blades once in a while.

Just think about a finish mower that will ride in the 4 little wheels - will it work in this terrain? A brush hog is carried so it can be used on rougher ground.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm in my 3rd or 4th season with my 6' Agmate from Agri Supply. It's a chinese made mower but very sturdy simple design and they keep parts in stock if I ever need any. It's a rear discharge which I prefer. I replaced the drive pulley with one from the 4/5 foot model to increase the blade speed a little but I can't say I could tell any difference in the quality of cut. The cut quality is actually a little better than my F725 John Deere mower. I have used it in areas I shouldn't and haven't torn it up yet.

They show 11 in stock at the Petersburg Va store.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a 60" Rhino finish mower a few years ago, it did a decent job cutting grass. I think just about any finish mower will leave a satisfactory cut. Some things I would recommend; find a mower where you can get parts locally, I couldn't do that with my Rhino and it was a pain. 72" is what I would try to find assuming it's in the budget, the time saved is worth it because you'll likely be cutting more than once a week in the spring and fall. My Rhino had dual belts and I would prefer a unit with this configuration versus a single belt. If you are cutting around obstacles such as trees, buildings and poles you have to be very careful not to swing the mower into those things, I know this from experience. If you do have several of these you might consider a zero turn mower or a belly mower for your tractor. In fairness I've not had good luck with the mower on my 2038 and wish I had purchased a zero turn for grass cutting duties.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yank -

I would not overlook Craigslist as an implement source; Just do your due diligence. I mow probably six acres of rutted former farm/hay land. When my wife and I acquired this acreage/home five years ago, my first purchase was the 4 series Deere/FEL. After selling the decrepit Ford 8N, I took the proceeds and bought a 7ft Farm King RFM off of CL. We spoke about a finishing mower for years, but the 8N became increasingly unreliable so we waited until we had a much more reliable and powerful tractor. Once we got the caster wheels adjusted for mow height, the ruts have presented few problems.

My Farm King has two belts (it's a 1997 model), and we've had to change them once (always change belts in pairs). It's rear-discharge, but sharp blades at mowing RPM provide very fine clippings with little windrowing. Parts are readily available for many mower models on-line.

Good luck with your choice,

Brian

This will be my first finish mower. As some of the guys here know, I used to own a cabin with seven rocky acres. I am getting ready to own my next home which will have 3 to 4 acres of pasture. Previous owner hayed it. I don’t need the hay right now so I am just going to keep it cut. My tractor is a 2038R. So, I know nothing about finish mowers for a tractor. Brand suggestions? Are the King Kutters as good as the Frontiers or Woods? What is difference between single belt and dual belt? 60 or 72 inch? I read rear discharge is usually preferred. Lots of questions, need lots of help. Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I have a 72" Landpride I have has since 93 and I am very happy with it. it is a side discharge because it is built before the rear discharge was developed. if I would get a new one I would get a rear discharge.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
A finish mower can work very well in a field as long as it isn’t really rutted or have mounds.

A finish mower can do more like you said but a brush hog may have other uses also. A brush hog can give a nice cut if you sharpen the blades once in a while.

Just think about a finish mower that will ride in the 4 little wheels - will it work in this terrain? A brush hog is carried so it can be used on rougher ground.
I was forever using our finish mower as a bush hog, never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys. One of our members has offered to me to come down and check out a Landpride he has for sale. Sounds like a good chance to meet a member and maybe get a mower. Thanks for all the info.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
Thanks, guys. One of our members has offered to me to come down and check out a Landpride he has for sale. Sounds like a good chance to meet a member and maybe get a mower. Thanks for all the info.
I ran a Landpride for years, top shelf mower IMO.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a Landpride, a Woods. Jeez, was reading an ad on Landpride while typing.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Not a Landpride, a Woods. Jeez, was reading an ad on Landpride while typing.
Finding a used one is great, my first 72" Woods was used, the SIL is running it now,,, he loves it,,,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts