Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,666 Posts
Ready for my first fillip, went to local station and found that there was 2 types. Road and off road. Which one does my 1025 need?
Either one - they are the same thing. Only difference is off-road fuel does not have the road tax added and is dyed red.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't buy off-road diesel and I only buy from reputable stations that move a lot of fuel. There's much less chance of fuel related issues and this is especially true in the winter. I also treat every gallon summer or winter.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I now use Off Road Fuel for my tractor to save almost $0.75 road tax fee's PER GALLON! Our Diesel is the same quality only Dye is added to get you busted if you put it in your truck and drive on highways! If suspected they will take a sample of your fuel by the State Patrol and it is a big fine like $10K if caught cheating the Road Tax added. As far as additives they mix our fuel in our area for cold weather so no additives are needed to stop gelling. I do put some in my extra fuel if I buy during the summer before it is added to the fuel at the stations for the winters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I noticed on my tractor there is a sticker that states something like nothing under 1500 something sulfur.. cant remember specifically until I get home to read it. Now when I went to the pumps there was on road and off road / dyed fuel. The dyed fuel had a sticker that I remember reading and saying no, no that's not what I want.. the on road fuel matched what my tractor said.. I have NOT filled up yet cause of all the stupid rain around my area!! I will try to get some pics tonight but I thought the dyed was different? I am new to buying diesel except for an old F250 I used to have so I could be mistaken? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I noticed on my tractor there is a sticker that states something like nothing under 1500 something sulfur.. cant remember specifically until I get home to read it. Now when I went to the pumps there was on road and off road / dyed fuel. The dyed fuel had a sticker that I remember reading and saying no, no that's not what I want.. the on road fuel matched what my tractor said.. I have NOT filled up yet cause of all the stupid rain around my area!! I will try to get some pics tonight but I thought the dyed was different? I am new to buying diesel except for an old F250 I used to have so I could be mistaken? :unknown:
Buy OFF ROAD,, cheaper same fuel except for the dye... Yes your F250 has to have Road Fuel.. but not your tractor.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
Look at that again, chances are it says 15 PPM, doesn't matter if it's dyed or clear as long as it ULSD.

·
Registered
22,666 Posts
What amount of bio-added can a 1025R use?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Does your manual mention using bio-fuel? If so go with that. If not don’t use it.

Bio-diesel is not available anywhere around here and even if it were I wouldn’t use it myself.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Does your manual mention using bio-fuel? If so go with that. If not don’t use it.

Bio-diesel is not available anywhere around here and even if it were I wouldn’t use it myself.
This is from the latest 1025R operator's manual:

[h=4]Using Bio-Diesel Fuel[/h]Bio-diesel fuels may be used only if the bio-diesel fuel properties meet the latest edition of ASTM D6751, ASTM D7467, EN14214, or equivalent specification.

The current maximum allowable bio-diesel concentration is a 10% blend (also known as B10) in petroleum diesel fuel.

To learn of any changes to the recommendations for bio-diesel usage with your diesel engine, ask your John Deere dealer.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
I thought the same thing and then noticed over the winter that the Sunoco diesel pump had a relatively small sticker indicating it contained Bio-diesel.

So they can sneak it in on you pretty easily.

·
Registered
22,666 Posts
I thought the same thing and then noticed over the winter that the Sunoco diesel pump had a relatively small sticker indicating it contained Bio-diesel.

So they can sneak it in on you pretty easily.
I guess bio is to diesel the same as ethanol is to gasoline.

Thanks for the quote from the manual.

Now one has to wonder - wonder if the tractor is equipped with a DPF? I can almost bet that zero bio is tolerated.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Now one has to wonder - wonder if the tractor is equipped with a DPF? I can almost bet that zero bio is tolerated.
I took a look at the 2038R manual... it has a DPF and a turbo. Wording is very similar. Now, if you just roll-up on a pump with a Bio-diesel sticker, how would one know if it meets all of these specifications?

Using BioDiesel Fuel

BioDiesel fuels may be used only if the BioDiesel fuel properties meet the latest edition of ASTM D6751, ASTM D7467, EN14214, or equivalent specification.

The current maximum allowable BioDiesel concentration is a 20% blend (also known as B20) in petroleum diesel fuel.

Use of B6-B20 fuel will require special procedures for fuel handling and machine storage.

To learn of any changes to the recommendations for BioDiesel usage with your diesel engine, ask your John Deere dealer.

·
Registered
643 Posts

I could not recall if B10 or B15. I drive an extra 7 miles to avoid B15. It seems to be widespread out here (Oregon in the valley).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,666 Posts
I took a look at the 2038R manual... it has a DPF and a turbo. Wording is very similar. Now, if you just roll-up on a pump with a Bio-diesel sticker, how would one know if it meets all of these specifications?

Using BioDiesel Fuel

BioDiesel fuels may be used only if the BioDiesel fuel properties meet the latest edition of ASTM D6751, ASTM D7467, EN14214, or equivalent specification.

The current maximum allowable BioDiesel concentration is a 20% blend (also known as B20) in petroleum diesel fuel.

Use of B6-B20 fuel will require special procedures for fuel handling and machine storage.

To learn of any changes to the recommendations for BioDiesel usage with your diesel engine, ask your John Deere dealer.

Umm - yeah - no thanks......just isn’t worth it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
This is from the latest 1025R operator's manual:

Using Bio-Diesel Fuel

Bio-diesel fuels may be used only if the bio-diesel fuel properties meet the latest edition of ASTM D6751, ASTM D7467, EN14214, or equivalent specification.

The current maximum allowable bio-diesel concentration is a 10% blend (also known as B10) in petroleum diesel fuel.

To learn of any changes to the recommendations for bio-diesel usage with your diesel engine, ask your John Deere dealer.

My manual, the one that's titled "Levi's Manual for his 1026R", says "there will be NO using Bio-Diesel". So that's what I go by.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts