Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to buy a grapple for a 3039r cab tractor. Looking at the EA wicked root grapple for compact tractors up to 55hp., probably in the 60 inch version. I can't decide between the single lid or double lid version. It seems to me the single lid may be better for precise picking, like stumps and stones or for pulling stuff since you can use the middle of the implement. I don't have any experience so looking to hear from those who have them and what work best.

Thanks!!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
I don't have one, just wish I did. I always thought one would be the way I'd go but I was told something I didn't think about. If you have 2 lids and are picking up something that isn't the same size on each end the 2 would grab tighter on both ends compared to 1 lid. But even that being said I'm still in the 1 category. I also like the EA grapples.

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
I vote one lid, it’s lighter and cheaper as well.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I have the single lid. Mine is from CTA 50" and it amazed me what the 1025 would lift. Looking forward to using it on my 2038R.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
With the Artillian, do the single and double grapples use the same grapples. I mean, if you buy a double grapple, you could just take one off and center the other one if you needed to, right?

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
With the Artillian, do the single and double grapples use the same grapples. I mean, if you buy a double grapple, you could just take one off and center the other one if you needed to, right?
Yes, they are completely modular. I think there is a graphic on their website showing that.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
I have a double, but do not see any advantage. Weight was not an issue, and I bought used, so I bought the one I liked best of their used stock to pick from.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
For brush/logs only there is some benefits in having 2 lids IMO but for an "all around" grapple I am very happy with and would recommend the single lid.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think it will depend on what you want to do with it. I opted for the CTA single. Have used it for brush, carrying logs to cut as firewood and general clean up of field brush and loose roots I have torn out. I have yet to be not satisfied with. It has out performed everything I have thrown at it. This weekend I plan on cleaning out some stalls with it. It will be interesting to see how this works.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Looking to buy a grapple for a 3039r cab tractor. Looking at the EA wicked root grapple for compact tractors up to 55hp., probably in the 60 inch version. I can't decide between the single lid or double lid version. It seems to me the single lid may be better for precise picking, like stumps and stones or for pulling stuff since you can use the middle of the implement. I don't have any experience so looking to hear from those who have them and what work best.

Thanks!!
I have the EA 55" WRRG and it is a single lid unit with two pistons. I have not yet run across a reason why I would want a double lid configuration. The EA grapples are an excellent value and very well constructed.

Check out these videos I posted to YouTube showing the EA 55" WRRG in action....

Sincerely

Grapple 029.jpg

Grapple 037.jpg

Grapple 042.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCR2u_u0hk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVl9be0y7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URe8E7mBSmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKAubBYKgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVqubZJygY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRzlQytrVA

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I like the double-clamp Artillian setup.

Most times it wouldn't make a difference, I agree with the others here. However, I have had several uneven loads that I don't think I could have 'clamped' very tight with a single, wide lid.

Probably like tillers. I've rarely heard anyone dissatisfied with their grapple. The only exception are when folks get one that is too big and heavy for a sub-compact.

Tim

·
Registered
731 Posts
With my double lid grapple, I can pick up a single rock that's as small as one foot in diameter - I know where to place the grapple. It's a ton of fun to see how precise I can be and how small of an object I can grab.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
With my double lid grapple, I can pick up a single rock that's as small as one foot in diameter - I know where to place the grapple. It's a ton of fun to see how precise I can be and how small of an object I can grab.
The Grapple Olympics!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I've been struggling with this double vs single lid decision for several days now. After considerable soul searching, finally decided on the EA 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple identical to the one Homestead Joe is using. His YouTube videos were considerable help in making this decision and the folks at EA were also very helpful. Got the order placed just this morning. :good2:

Only problem is, the grapple won't be here for almost a month . . . :greentractorride:

Meanwhile I'm touring the brushy wooded gully and a couple fencerows looking for grapple projects. They're certainly not hard to find! :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 54" EA double lid for my 3039R. I like being able to clamp down tight on a load that may be different diameters on either end. I haven't had a situation yet where I wished I had gone with a single lid. Photo Sep 09, 1 21 59 PM (1).jpg

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have the EA 55" WRRG and it is a single lid unit with two pistons. I have not yet run across a reason why I would want a double lid configuration. The EA grapples are an excellent value and very well constructed.
I think the single vs. double lid grapple choice depends quite a bit on how wide the grapple is. With a wider grapple you can have a different material sizes that might not be secured with a single, the dual grapple can accommodate the delta.

I've hauled maybe 20 dead and live trees (cut up of course) and tons of irregular shaped rock and the dual lid is perfect however the main idea here is whatever you choose, any grapple is better than no grapple. My grapple is my unpaid ranch hand .

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have a single lid artillian. With a double grapple you have some extra plumbing/fittings but I would think you can go down to one grapple but I can think of no compelling reason to want to wrestle around a grapple to convert between a single and double grapple. The grapple is significantly heavier than the rake and thus can be a real PIA to maneuver. Not impossible just a pain.

As far as what is best, one or two, some factors to consider are the weight difference, cost difference, and whether your hydraulics can handle an extra cylinder (one for each grapple). With a 3R I think are good with all of those so it comes down to preference and if you have the budget for a second lid. When I bought my grapple, I went with a single lid because of the weight and cost. It was going on a 2210 so adding another 70lbs wasn't worth the perceived gain. Neither was the cost. With a 3R series tractor you have plenty of power, lift capacity, and hydraulics so I think it's whatever you want and what your wallet can handle.

I suppose with a double lid it will allow you to grab more debris/branches etc than a single lid but since it is a compact tractor, it probably isn't enough to matter. A double lid might come in handy with logs. I have a tendency to grab really long logs so maybe a double lid would help with balance, not sure.

·
Premium Member
10,163 Posts
I have an Artillian grapple. Two beds and one grapple in the center.

It was purchased for a smaller tractor, but is now deployed on my 39R.

It works very well. Even on the larger tractor, it does an outstanding job.

Like someone else said, any grapple is better than no grapple.

On the single vs. double lid, I would stick with the single lid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts