Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent about 45 minutes digging on a stump today. It was not a fun experience. I have several hundred hours on an excavator that used ISO controls, can't seem to get used to SAE so I need to swap the hoses to make it "right".

Can anyone tell me which hoses I need to swap, to switch boom and dipper control?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I figured out which hoses to swap, wasn't too hard to trace trace them from the cylinders to the valve. Somewhere there is a restrictor orifice or something that slows down the boom travel - which now is slowing the dipper and the boom moves too quickly. Anybody know where the restrictor is???

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Okay, I figured out which hoses to swap, wasn't too hard to trace trace them from the cylinders to the valve. Somewhere there is a restrictor orifice or something that slows down the boom travel - which now is slowing the dipper and the boom moves too quickly. Anybody know where the restrictor is???
I have had that "problem" without switching any hoses/lever functions. I'm OK with the boom travel speed, just that I think some sort of "snubber" would help a bunch near the top end of piston travel. The boom does not raise as far up as I'd like (no doubt for clearance issues) and I've hit the stop more than I want to dumping in close.

I thought from the beginning that they could have done a little bit more finishing with the BH, the boom travel issue AND the chrome plating on the stabilizers (just the stabilizers so far)... It sure will dig nicely all day long though!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ah well, maybe I will have to re-learn how to dig. :flag_of_truce: Swapping the restrictor is going to be problematic. You can barely see it in the third photo, it is the long silver can behind the hoses on the bottom of the valve assembly. If you look at the first two photos you should be able to see that one valve is not like the others. The top flange is different. That is the boom valve. Moving the restrictor to a different port would also require moving the top flange, possibly the spool too. I am not willing to go that far. I do have an alternate plan though...

Also interesting is that the boom valve does not have the small amount of play as do the other three. It's movement is slight more stiff - it is not in the linkages, it is the spool. I am sure this is related to the issue that some people are having with a sticking boom valve.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,393 Posts
I remember reading about guys trying to do this on TBN (might have been a 46 hoe, but same theory), it was not as simple as "swapping hoses" like you'd think, they determined the only way to really do it was to swap the spools around in the stack. Here is the best I can offer-a picture from JDP:

Auto part Automotive engine part

CONTROL VALVE
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTY SERIAL NO.REMARKS
1LVA15195Cap5 POSITIONER
2......Valve Spool5
3LVU19287Plug2
4LVA15198Check Valve6
5......Seal11 (A)
6......Washer5 (A)
7LVA15197Pressure Relief Valve2
8......Spacer1 (A)
9LVA15199Control Lever2
10LVA15202Handle2
11......Screw4
12LVA15194Plug1 (W/ O-RING)
13LVU19286Plug1
14......Housing1
15......Spacer6
16......Valve Spool5
17LVA15210Kit1 WIPER RETAINER
18......Plug5
19LVA15196Cap1 BOOM POSITIONER
20......Plug1
21LVA15209Restrictor1 (BOOM PORT)
22......Plug1
23LVA14999Control Valve6
..LVA15208Kit1 CONTROL VALVE SEAL (INC LUDES PARTS MARKED (A))

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
"Relearing how to dig" is going from a 5500 series Ford to a DynaHoe, THAT is a relearning experience! As with any equipment it all boils down to "wanna" and "seat time".:laugh:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've run into this more than once. The bottom line is (no pun intended) its not a fast easy fix. The "easiest" way is as Kenny said.. swapping around the valve bodies in the stack. I've never done it. heard of it done. I dont know what other issues you may run into. With excavators, its much easier. Find the swap valve and flip it. Bam.. ISO to SAE. Or as in the older days, you had to go inside and swap 4 lines around.. no problem. The reason was.. they are pilot controlled hydraulics. Either with actual oil lines running up to the joy sticks, or now with fly by wire EH controllers in the joy sticks that control the pilot oil to shift the spools in the valve. With wobble sticks you are at the mercy of the wing nut engineer who designed it. I refer to it as an articulated log splitter with a bucket. On some, yur right, swap lines and go, no problem. On others, move the stick and its gone!
And I agree HH they could have done a lil more in the cylinders to keep em from banging so bad during entension and retraction. It would have been a simple machine process on the rod end piston to make it slow as it extended or retracted.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
And I agree HH they could have done a lil more in the cylinders to keep em from banging so bad during entension and retraction. It would have been a simple machine process on the rod end piston to make it slow as it extended or retracted.
If I remember rightly that BH is made way EAST of here like in a sunny Mediterrainian country shaped like a boot and I'm betting that's also the source of the engineering. Maybe that part of the engineering slipped by the "Small Machinery Dept." Anyway, I love how it digs, lifts and git's 'er done!:laugh:

In regards to the Dynahoe nightmare, have you ever had "operating relations" with an early '70's Allis Chalmers 816? It could dig like crazy, but a nightmare in the engine compartment and bad awful swing control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ever get this swapped and working correctly?

Spent about 45 minutes digging on a stump today. It was not a fun experience. I have several hundred hours on an excavator that used ISO controls, can't seem to get used to SAE so I need to swap the hoses to make it "right".

Can anyone tell me which hoses I need to swap, to switch boom and dipper control?
I agree when you have used one style your entire life, and buy a tractor that has a backhoe, you want them to be the same as what your used to. Wouldn't it be kind like using a right handed fishing reel and be given a left handed one and having people just say " Transitioning isn't hard". Thats not the point. I want it the way that I am used to and if a company makes something, they should offer ambidextrous controls instead of just saying.. (paraphrasing) "learn the other way, its not that hard".. btw.. fishing reels can be swapped to support left and right handed users.

someone has got to have some experience in doing this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
swaping ISO and SAE controls

Yes it can be done.
Mark all lines and connections before disconecting,
Remove valve bank and swap the spool valves you want to change, make sure you swap everything from that location to
the new location.
On the boom valve there is a restrictor behind the lower hose connector elbow on the valve bank, (its threaded in there with a ball bearing). remove this and place it wherever you put the boom spool valve.
Reinstall valve bank, hook up all hoses, keeping in mind the new locations as to where the boom and dipper stick spool valves are.
Start it up, and your good to go.

:bigthumb:At least thats what I did and now i don't feel like I have to left thumbs now:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it can be done.... At least thats what I did and now i don't feel like I have to left thumbs now
You wanna come down here and do mine too? :bigbeer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.