Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the foundation of a long gone bank barn that I need to do something with. For starters, I want to trim about 2 feet off of top of the bank, but leave the foundation stone intact. I am thinking that I can do most of this with a box blade and backhoe. Does anybody have suggestions on the best way to approach this job?

Also - any creative ideas on ways to repurpose or recycle an old barn foundation? I currently use it as a deluxe burn pit.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Picture would help

A picture or two would help spur some thoughts. FEL, backhoe, box blades all move dirt so it might depend on access and how far you need to move the dirt. As far as reuse:

• Build another barn
    Burn pit
    Flower garden or vegetable garden with mulch pile
    Patio
    Ornamental pond/fountain
    Put a log house on top of the foundation
Lots of things you can do, depending on the size and stability of the foundation and whether it looks good enough to show off or you want to disguise it.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few photos of the bank barn foundation. My immediate concern is that somebody could go up the bank and accidentally fall over the edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I’d clean it up. Put a fire pit and some benches in there middle of what’s left. Then maybe some lights hanging on what’s left of the rock or better yet some lights in the ground lighting up what’s left of the rock. Perfect place to have gatherings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I’d clean it up. Put a fire pit and some benches in there middle of what’s left. Then maybe some lights hanging on what’s left of the rock or better yet some lights in the ground lighting up what’s left of the rock. Perfect place to have gatherings.
A crew of men put a lot of hard work into moving all that stone to the site in the early to mid 1800's using just horses and carts and manpower, no tractors. And then they stacked it into a beautiful foundation wall with no hydraulic assistance. The craftsmanship is incredible. Your suggestion is a good one. Somewhat of a tribute to the hard work and determination of those that came before us.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think J3 hit the nail on the head. That is the perfect spot for a nice seating area with fire pit and some hanging lights. I'd love to have something like that on my property. Great place to sit and enjoy a good cigar.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How to trim down the bank

So, you've given me a few ideas about what to do with the foundation, but no suggestions for how to trim a couple of feet off of the bank that leads up to it.

I guess that I'll start with either a toothbar on the FEL or a box blade on the 3 point, and if one doesn't work so well, then I'll try the other. And suggestions, or should I just flip a coin to decide which to start with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
My dirtbike and trials bike buddies would have a field day (npi) with that set-up!

Reactions: PJR832 and Marlin

·
Registered
837 Posts
So, you've given me a few ideas about what to do with the foundation, but no suggestions for how to trim a couple of feet off of the bank that leads up to it.

I guess that I'll start with either a toothbar on the FEL or a box blade on the 3 point, and if one doesn't work so well, then I'll try the other. And suggestions, or should I just flip a coin to decide which to start with?

Thanks!
Put a piranha tooth bar on there and have some fun. They work wonders.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tooth Bard

Put a piranha tooth bar on there and have some fun. They work wonders.
Thanks, Robnik. I think that I'll give it a try. I'm leaning toward the heavy hitch, because that design seems better matched to my immediate needs, but either that or the Piranha looks like a good choice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a done deal

I placed an order with HeavyHitch...:usa Can't wait for the fun to start.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I like that idea . . . :thumbup1gif:

A crew of men put a lot of hard work into moving all that stone to the site in the early to mid 1800's using just horses and carts and manpower, no tractors. And then they stacked it into a beautiful foundation wall with no hydraulic assistance. The craftsmanship is incredible. Your suggestion is a good one. Somewhat of a tribute to the hard work and determination of those that came before us.
:thumbup1gif:

I'd recommend the box blade as a starter with the scarifiers down as much as your :greentractorride: can pull . . . starting from the high end and pulling down. Use the loader to carefully remove the dirt that is against the wall. Do this till you have the wall height desired. From your description this the way I'd start.

Oh, and the stone/concrete . . . my son made short retaining walls by stacking broken sidewalk concrete pieces he'd search for . . . looks nice and has lasted years.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd recommend the box blade as a starter with the scarifiers down as much as your :greentractorride: can pull . . . starting from the high end and pulling down. Use the loader to carefully remove the dirt that is against the wall. Do this till you have the wall height desired. From your description this the way I'd start.
I just ordered a tooth bar, so I'll see how it goes. I can see how the box blade could have some advantages over the toothbar, and vice versa. With a little luck, I'll end up with both!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Oh, and the stone/concrete . . . my son made short retaining walls by stacking broken sidewalk concrete pieces he'd search for . . . looks nice and has lasted years.
Marlin - Any chance that you could post a photo or two of the retaining walls? And if he needs any broken up "vintage" pieces of concrete, send him my way!

Reactions: Marlin and PJR832

·
Registered
90 Posts
And while you're planning, leave a part of it with the wall exactly the height of the tailgate of your favorite pickup,
along with the nice smooth ramp up to the other side of it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My vote is for a box blade

Depending on how compacted the soil is, you might have an easier time loosening the soil with box blade rippers first and then moving it to where you want it with the bucket. Recently when I was helping a neighbor move some dirt, I found that a box blade with a hydraulic top link is a fantastic way to loosen and move soil. You don't have to have a hydraulic top link; it just makes it a lot easier to change the angle of the box blade and therefore the depth of the ripper teeth. Granted, I was trying to dig out roots and the loader just wasn't getting the job done, even though the 3320 is a good sized machine. But the box blade worked a lot better. Here is a link to a photo of the setup on the tractor. You might have to scroll down a bit to see the photo.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/general-tractor-operation-ownership/94369-my-tractor-story-3.html

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Marlin - Any chance that you could post a photo or two of the retaining walls? And if he needs any broken up "vintage" pieces of concrete, send him my way!
My son Rich took these just before it got dark tonight.

Resized_20180314_192647_8244.jpeg

Resized_20180314_192725_6551.jpeg

Resized_20180314_192741_2239.jpeg

Fitted together and mortar between, without it they are not stable.

You could try dirt but I think it will wash away possibly, here anyhow with the amount of rain we get each year . . . 40"+ on average.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Fitted together and mortar between, without it they are not stable.

You could try dirt but I think it will wash away possibly, here anyhow with the amount of rain we get each year . . . 40"+ on average.
Thanks - I need to build a short retaining wall, so now I'll need to to decide if I should use broken up concrete from the old barn floor, or some of the excess field stone. (I have more of each than I know what to do with.) I tried to stack up stone in the past, but could never get a nice looking flat wall. I always ended up with what looked like a pile of rocks in a line. Will definitely try a bit of mortar to hold things in place.

Reactions: Marlin
1 - 18 of 18 Posts