Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably look at web sites too much, should just go buy a tractor. Am currently considering a price I have on a new 6115D. But I got sidetracked a bit, when the sales guy mentioned some things about a 6330 model. Those 30 series tractors have a frame under them, they are built different than the economy model 6115. So---a 6330 is about 10,000 bucks more, and is actually 10 PTO hprsepower less than a 6115. 85 instead of 95 on the 6115. The 30 series are no doubt heavier duty, and have features most farmers would prefer for the long haul. I can afford the 6330, and I do want the best chance for good re-sale for my wifes sake perhaps later, and the better design of a 6330 to enjoy myself. Wish I had a crystal ball, or someone here to settle this dilemna for me. I'm putting a 673 loader on the machine as well. Will use for a variety of chores around my place, mowing, drilling, leveling up some uneven spots, scattering gravel on the road, dumping cow manure on the garden. Can't wear out either tractor with my work, but still want the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I probably look at web sites too much, should just go buy a tractor. Am currently considering a price I have on a new 6115D. But I got sidetracked a bit, when the sales guy mentioned some things about a 6330 model. Those 30 series tractors have a frame under them, they are built different than the economy model 6115. So---a 6330 is about 10,000 bucks more, and is actually 10 PTO hprsepower less than a 6115. 85 instead of 95 on the 6115. The 30 series are no doubt heavier duty, and have features most farmers would prefer for the long haul. I can afford the 6330, and I do want the best chance for good re-sale for my wifes sake perhaps later, and the better design of a 6330 to enjoy myself. Wish I had a crystal ball, or someone here to settle this dilemna for me. I'm putting a 673 loader on the machine as well. Will use for a variety of chores around my place, mowing, drilling, leveling up some uneven spots, scattering gravel on the road, dumping cow manure on the garden. Can't wear out either tractor with my work, but still want the best bang for the buck.
The reality is the 6x30 series is a much nicer machine than the 6D. There are a lot more features that are standard that you can't even get on the 6115D.

Many people run the 6115D for haying down here. Good simple machine, but has the majority of the stuff you need.

It would be nice if the 6115D had more gears.

The ehitch feature on the higher end tractors is nice. For hooking stuff up alone it is really nice. I have that on my 5525 and it is really handy.

The way JD has the models setup it sure makes one want to keep going up the model line. I have a 5525 now. There really isn't an equivalent model. The 5E is stripped down in comparison and the 5M is like a mini- 6x30 in a 5000 chassis.

Both tractors are going to have good resale.

I am not sure I would worry about the frame - they are both really tough.

If there are features you really want that aren't on the 6D. Then I guess it is really simple.

What features are you wanting?

D.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've never heard or saw the "budget tractors" (for lack of better terms) as being "lighter duty"....I've always seen the various models as being a case of options and/or features as Darin put it. What is optional or maybe not even available on the 6115D may be standard equipment on the 6x30.

What do you need/want for options and features? What can you live without? etc... once you have that list, the decision might be easier for you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bruce,
If this going to be your main "go to" machine then I would go with the 6330 with the better transmission options and other features. Better setup for utility tasks like those you listed.

If your intent is to use this for field work and have a smaller utility tractor then the 6115 would be a way to save 10,000. I have considered a 6xxx tractor for the ranch just can't afford it at the moment. If I go for it I will likely go for a 6115 since I have a 4520 and 110tlb for the utility jobs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your responses

I'm not a rich guy, but have enough to buy either one and own the thing. But about 11 K difference is a lot of fuel and and maybe a new drill and mower too, to go on the tractor. I will continue to watch these comments, they are helpful, but may buy the 6115D, it's a great tractor and I can't break it or begin to wear it out around here. The 6330 is a sharp machine though, and I just may flop that way. The wife is in total support of either way, that sure helps. Thanks guys, I won't decide before Friday at the earliest, and my quote is good till end of December. I have shopped 3 dealers in my area, one was 3800 bucks on the 6115, waiting on the 3rd bid. Great web site here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What features would you miss is the real question.

The frig in the Premium cab is probably not a big deal.

6330 has two cabs available: standard and premium.

I have to go look at the site now. I have to do the comparison myself.

D.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cab
----

Nicer on the 6330 - all the controls on the 6115d are for the rear. 6330 - up on the sides.

MFWD

Trans
----
Which trans are you looking at in the 6330? You can get more gears in it.

Power Reverser is a pricey upgrade

PTO:
6330 540 is standard, 1000RPM is extra

Wheels/tires
---
Lots of combos on each

Exhaust
---

Fine either way

Seat:
Can get air seat in either.

Really tough call...the bargain is the 6115D.

The creature comforts of the 6330 are nice.

Can you go drive and play with both?

D.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check this out:

2008 6330 with 227 hours with the smaller loader (563) $62,500

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1482476

6330 Premium with 636 hours and a brand new 673 loader $58,000

That is one nice tractor

MFWD tractors hold their value so much better.

2wd 6115d with no laoder in the $32K range with 1000+ hours.

6115D 2 hours $44,900 no loader

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1374011

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1080200

6115d with 563 loader 16 hours $55,560

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1482476

I think the resell is good on all of them. A gently used 6330 might be nice. If I had to spend my money it would probably be a 6115d.

What kind of prices are you getting on a new one?

D.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bruce,
Rereading your posts and what you will be using the tractor for I didn't see a need for one this size. Can you be a little more specific as to what kind of field work you intend to do? Most of the things you listed could be done with a smaller tractor unless you intend to mow large acreages. Are you planning to use this for a hay operation or lots of tillage?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bruce,
Rereading your posts and what you will be using the tractor for I didn't see a need for one this size. Can you be a little more specific as to what kind of field work you intend to do? Most of the things you listed could be done with a smaller tractor unless you intend to mow large acreages. Are you planning to use this for a hay operation or lots of tillage?

I understand your question Steve, and the fact is YES, I could live with less. Right now I don't have a loader on my old JD 630 2 cylinder machine. I drill holes (have a lot of fence to build for years to come), run a rotary mower, pull an old wagon around collecting brush and cleaning up. But I really need the loader, and I also want a wider mower and have the power to run it, got 38 acres of pasture that I'm trying to keep mowed in the fall and want to be able to pull a spray rig for the weeds. My box scraper has teeth on the bottom to loosen dirt, and there are some knobs and high spots here and there that I would like to scalp off and have the loader to move the dirt elsewhere etc. It's a case where I could get by with a new "Chevy pick-up", so to speak, but I want a "Peterbilt". I have visions later of baling some hay here, and getting a few Longhorns from old Darin!! I just don't want a compact or small tractor, this is my one big machine luxury for a lifetime, not trying to save a bunch by going smaller, but obviousely there is a limit and trying to figure my best way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Screw it - get the 6330 loaded out.

Everybody needs to have at least brand new JD tractor with all the bells and whistles.

D.
Yeah, it is almost as much fun as spending your own money.:lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, it is almost as much fun as spending your own money.:lol:
Bruce and I have been talking about this tractor for months over on TBN.

He has already talked himself up from a 5xxx so why not go for the 6330.

Bruce,
What kind of prices are they quoting on those suckers anyway. I will be driving by my JD dealer today. I might have to stop and check in on things.

D.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just don't want a compact or small tractor, this is my one big machine luxury for a lifetime, not trying to save a bunch by going smaller, but obviousely there is a limit and trying to figure my best way to go.
Well, I can understand your point, but dont look at it like you're chained to it for life...Brian had a 3x20 and upgraded to a 4x20...actually thats where I think JD shines, you typically dont loose too much when it comes to resale and/or trade in.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bruce,
If you wan't the Peterbilt model then go with the 6330. As far as technology is concerned the 6115 isn't that different from an older 4020, the 6330 has alot of the newer technology and added features. It would be tough to buy the lesser of the two tractors and then wish you had the extra bells and whistles.Having had larger tractors before I can say that they can make short work of your tasks on 38 acres.

Some thoughts I have on tractors,
The 4x20 cab tractors loaded out seem to be the more deluxe versions in Deere's lineup. These tractors are a good choice for most things other than tillage and hay work. The ehydro is hard to beat for the majority of jobs.
The 5xxx series and the 6xxx tractors are very similar in available features but the economy models are not very different than the older tractors. Both of these series of tractors start to make more sense when you have tillage and hay operations. There is a tremendous difference between using a 6115 or 6330 compared to my 4520 for tillage, the 6xxx tractors are way faster. I know you are familiar with this, my point is I see you plowing everything up on this 38 acres in short order then needing a smaller tractor to do what is left. Or atleast needing a larger tractor that operates similarly to a 4x20 loaded machine. Meaning the larger tractor with some premium options, power reverser, lots of gears, multiple hydraulic outlets and electro hydraulic hitch.

I hope this better explains why I suggested in my first post to consider the 6115 if you have a smaller tractor to use. I suggested the 6330 if it is your "go to" or only tractor as it will better handle the overlapping jobs between the utlilty and field tractors.

I think it is really more about which tractor best satiates your desire for a new large tractor, some one on one soul searching is the only way to come to a conclusion. But hey we like to help people spend their money here.:laugh:

Do you have implements to use with this tractor?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I know you are familiar with this, my point is I see you plowing everything up on this 38 acres in short order then needing a smaller tractor to do what is left. Or atleast needing a larger tractor that operates similarly to a 4x20 loaded machine. Meaning the larger tractor with some premium options, power reverser, lots of gears, multiple hydraulic outlets and electro hydraulic hitch.
What do you think of a 2 tractor solution?
Loaded up 4x20 for the utility chores, have your Peterbilt quality and options....and then get something like a 1586 (or Deere equivalent if you want to stay Green) for the big tillage jobs, etc.. Option & Feature wise, very similar to the budget machines of today.
http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1077951

I just found that link quickly...but workhorses like that arent super expensive...one of my uncles sold a great condition TW-25 for 6k-ish not that long ago...

·
Registered
430 Posts
What do you think of a 2 tractor solution?
Loaded up 4x20 for the utility chores, have your Peterbilt quality and options....and then get something like a 1586 (or Deere equivalent if you want to stay Green) for the big tillage jobs, etc.. Option & Feature wise, very similar to the budget machines of today.
http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1077951

I just found that link quickly...but workhorses like that arent super expensive...one of my uncles sold a great condition TW-25 for 6k-ish not that long ago...

There is no doubt in my mind that a two tractor solution would make more sense. I am working through this currently building up the smaller stuff first because it gets more use. I have considered everthing from used 4020's thru the 6430's to work the larger jobs. Maybe I should get an older 4520 to restore to use along side my new 4520.:laugh:

·
Registered
733 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that a two tractor solution would make more sense. I am working through this currently building up the smaller stuff first because it gets more use. I have considered everthing from used 4020's thru the 6430's to work the larger jobs. Maybe I should get an older 4520 to restore to use along side my new 4520.:laugh:
4020's or 4520's....Great machines, but the collectibility of them has increased their value quite a bit...Great if you bought one 10 years ago, not so great if your looking for a workhorse...

To me, the point where Price/Options/Features come together right now is with the 30 series machine..If a cab is your thing on a workhorse, its hard to beat the Soundgard..
http://www.fastline.com/v100/1974-John-Deere-4230-Riechmann-Bros-LLC-Centralia-IL-equipment-detail-51d0f4a6-c775-4da4-9da5-00f640ab214e.aspx

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dave,
I remember when the new curved glass hit the dealerships, I wanted one.:laugh:
I have never liked the looks of a 4020 cab, I would prefer a canopy in this model.

You are right about the collectible status which is affecting the cost of used 4020 tractors, but even with this inflated cost I still have fond memories of them. Hard to know what I will wind up buying in a couple of years. These tractors are definately getting old, it may be better to remember them the way they were than to actually buy one to put to work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts