Green Tractor Talk banner

which JD to buy?

18K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  jfoi 
I've never heard or saw the "budget tractors" (for lack of better terms) as being "lighter duty"....I've always seen the various models as being a case of options and/or features as Darin put it. What is optional or maybe not even available on the 6115D may be standard equipment on the 6x30.

What do you need/want for options and features? What can you live without? etc... once you have that list, the decision might be easier for you.

I just don't want a compact or small tractor, this is my one big machine luxury for a lifetime, not trying to save a bunch by going smaller, but obviousely there is a limit and trying to figure my best way to go.
Well, I can understand your point, but dont look at it like you're chained to it for life...Brian had a 3x20 and upgraded to a 4x20...actually thats where I think JD shines, you typically dont loose too much when it comes to resale and/or trade in.

I know you are familiar with this, my point is I see you plowing everything up on this 38 acres in short order then needing a smaller tractor to do what is left. Or atleast needing a larger tractor that operates similarly to a 4x20 loaded machine. Meaning the larger tractor with some premium options, power reverser, lots of gears, multiple hydraulic outlets and electro hydraulic hitch.
What do you think of a 2 tractor solution?
Loaded up 4x20 for the utility chores, have your Peterbilt quality and options....and then get something like a 1586 (or Deere equivalent if you want to stay Green) for the big tillage jobs, etc.. Option & Feature wise, very similar to the budget machines of today.
http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1077951

I just found that link quickly...but workhorses like that arent super expensive...one of my uncles sold a great condition TW-25 for 6k-ish not that long ago...

There is no doubt in my mind that a two tractor solution would make more sense. I am working through this currently building up the smaller stuff first because it gets more use. I have considered everthing from used 4020's thru the 6430's to work the larger jobs. Maybe I should get an older 4520 to restore to use along side my new 4520.:laugh:
4020's or 4520's....Great machines, but the collectibility of them has increased their value quite a bit...Great if you bought one 10 years ago, not so great if your looking for a workhorse...

To me, the point where Price/Options/Features come together right now is with the 30 series machine..If a cab is your thing on a workhorse, its hard to beat the Soundgard..
http://www.fastline.com/v100/1974-John-Deere-4230-Riechmann-Bros-LLC-Centralia-IL-equipment-detail-51d0f4a6-c775-4da4-9da5-00f640ab214e.aspx

The Maxxum has been a good machine for us:

I'm driving the truck in that pic :fed:

As to the Red/Green/Yellow/Orange/Blue debate, my only piece of advice is this. Buy the dealer not the machine...You'll be way happier all the way down the road with a great dealer, regardless of brand machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.