Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,461 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the DW717 has been discontinued? Dewalt is still advertising it on their site. Everyone is just out of them.

I had the exact same issue with a DW735X planer a few weeks ago. No one had any. Dewalt's supply line from China is held up with the shipping backlog off the coast of CA. After 3 weeks of no one having any there was a sudden surge in supply and they are now in stock again in a few places.

That said, I have an old Craftsman 10" sliding compound saw that is now my "beater" saw. For most projects I use a Hitachi 12" and love it. I know several guys that have Bosch 12" units and swear by them as well.

· Super Moderator
7,461 Posts
My Craftsman 10 inch sliding compound saw has served me just fine for something like 15 years. It gets used more than any other saw if I am working with wood. It was my main saw recently when I built a handicap ramp. Some of my cuts had to be cut on two angles, so it came in real handy. I am not that good with this stuff, so I would usually take a scrap piece and get it cut to fit like I wanted it and then do the same with a good piece.

Dave
Heh. I'm trying to think back to when I bought mine. I know I had it when I lived in Oklahoma so I had to have bought it somewhere around 1995. It still works so I can't complain but now it's been relegated to only seeing duty when I'm cutting pressure treated stuff. It's never given me any problems so it will probably outlast me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.