Green Tractor Talk banner

Which Miter Saw

3025 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  DeanB
Alternate title, when will dewalt replace the DW717?

I'm in search of a 10" dual bevel sliding miter saw, and had settled on the DW717 based on it topping nearly every comparison. But it's discontinued and not available anywhere, and I think it's incredibly short sighted of Dewalt to remove that product from the market without a replacement, but apparently they know something I don't. I'm not interested in cordless, corded only.

What I've found from many reviews is that the Makita, while costing the most, has a little bit of deflection during slide cuts, and I'm less than impressed that on a 600 dollar saw, they chose to use an aluminum detent plate for the miter adjustment which wears over time. Shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket plate for a 600 dollar saw. I did see one person say they were able to correct the deflection in the cut by loosening the slide rails and twisting them slightly, but again, shouldn't have to do that. My last gripe with the makita is you have to remove the tall fence to do a bevel cut, which if you're trying to bevel something tall, that's pretty inconvenient; the sliding design on the dewalt is far superior.

The Bosch also had some deflection in the cut based on the reviews, and while that seemed to be the only complaint, it was worse than the Makita. I really don't want to spend 500+ for a saw (any saw) that can't be easily adjusted to cut straight right out of the box.

I would really like to hear from anyone that has personal experience with either of these saws, do you notice any deflection or curve to your cuts, was it a symptom of the stock blade and a replacement fixed it, is it a simple fix the reviewers missed? And if anyone knows when Dewalt will be offering another 10" saw, that would be nice as well. My use will be for trim and window casings, all around my house, no commercial use.

Here's the review I found most helpful:
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
I bought this one a few years ago, the Dewalt DWS780 12 IN. DOUBLE BEVEL SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW. So far, I have no complaints about this saw! :) (y)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.