Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ask you folks that possess pallet forks for your 1 Family JD how you chose the length forks that you have. I see and read that mostly the lighter weight 36" are often recommended so you don't diminish the lift capacity of the tractor and yet I've seen more than one reference wishing they had bought the 42" apparently claiming the 36" leaves too much unsupported weight of things on a pallet and occasionally things trying to tip off or even breaking the pallet. The price difference isn't out of bounds but is this a valid point since the lift capabilities isn't too tremendous to begin with. I would lean toward the 42" set if y'all agree or just go with the 36" if not. ????

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
To me the difference between the 42” (or 48”) & 36” tines is visibility when trying to slip the forks into things to pick them up-not that the 36” are too short to effectively pick up things. Seeing over the hood and loader is difficult with the shorter forks-it makes you want to stand up out of the seat-and we all know what happens when you do that.

When you consider weight the lightest frame and fork combo I know of is Artillian with the 3” wide tines. IMHO they’re the best available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fork length

To me the difference between the 42” (or 48”) & 36” tines is visibility when trying to slip the forks into things to pick them up-not that the 36” are too short to effectively pick up things. Seeing over the hood and loader is difficult with the shorter forks-it makes you want to stand up out of the seat-and we all know what happens when you do that.

When you consider weight the lightest frame and fork combo I know of is Artillian with the 3” wide tines. IMHO they’re the best available.
Ahhh Visibility for pick-up. Hadn't considered that. Good call. I'm guessing you're saying the 3" forks are 2300# rated eh? Much more than the 1 Series will lift so should be sufficient, and lighter than the regular 4" forks. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I agree with Balrog...visibility. I have 42" and quite often I am leaning left or right or trying to look up to see the tips. It's really not to bad but I wouldn't want 36's for that reason. I've even been contemplating painting the tips yellow for better visibility.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
I agree with the others, the only reason I wish I had 42" forks would be for visibility, the tips of my 36's are just not easy to see. But since I already have the 36" when I buy another set of tines I will more than likely get 48's . I think, :laugh: that one is still in the think tank, our 2555 has 48's and man do they stick out there a long ways.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I ordered the 36", but they sent the 42". I'm glad they did.

I understand the JD brand forks are real heavy and not a good choice for a SCUT. Artillians are the lightest and the Titan forks are about 25lbs heavier. I chose the Titans mainly because of cost. Artillians would have cost twice as much - if I lived out east I may have chosen Artillians but the higher initial cost combined with a few hundred bucks to ship just wasn't worth saving 25lbs of weight. Titans also frequently offer ten to twenty percent discounts and free shipping.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I am one of those that purchased 36" Artillians and semi regretted not selecting 42".
Visibility is a slight issue but the ability to reach further into my truck bed and also pick up greater quantities of logs or brush would be nice.

I later purchased the backrest extension and I highly recommend whatever brand you buy to make sure you get one. They allow larger bundles of material to be safely lifted and carried without the risk of material falling back on the tractor loader arms or hood.

I do not regret paying for the Artillian, they are brilliant. I will confess to being the type of fool who likes to purchase high quality when I can afford to and thereafter maintain them in good condition.
More financial astute individuals may opt for paying less for comparable function and I would not dispute their logic.

Good luck with your purchase, they are absolutely priceless to have on hand for me.

To add, I have had no trouble with pallet handling at 36" length. I have even brought a few pallets home from work to stack wood on and through in the truck prior to shopping so that when I get home I only have to fork a loaded pallet out of the truck.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I am one of those that purchased 36" Artillians and semi regretted not selecting 42".
Visibility is a slight issue but the ability to reach further into my truck bed and also pick up greater quantities of logs or brush would be nice.

I later purchased the backrest extension and I highly recommend whatever brand you buy to make sure you get one. They allow larger bundles of material to be safely lifted and carried without the risk of material falling back on the tractor loader arms or hood.

I do not regret paying for the Artillian, they are brilliant. I will confess to being the type of fool who likes to purchase high quality when I can afford to and thereafter maintain them in good condition.
More financial astute individuals may opt for paying less for comparable function and I would not dispute their logic.

Good luck with your purchase, they are absolutely priceless to have on hand for me.

To add, I have had no trouble with pallet handling at 36" length. I have even brought a few pallets home from work to stack wood on and through in the truck prior to shopping so that when I get home I only have to fork a loaded pallet out of the truck.
I am in same boat as you. Got 36" w/ my Artillians. Absolute great forks but i probably should
of gotten 42" because of hood visibility.
The backrest was a great addition as well i agree.:good2:

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Well, I have to be different!! :dunno: I have 36" forks on my Artillian frame and would not want forks any longer.

First: seeing the fork tips over the hood. I simply look to the left slightly and I can see the tips fine and of course this only applies when lifting something from grade. When lifting a pallet, you will have the forks separated so you will be able to see one of the forks quite easily by just looking to one side.

Second: concerning pallet support. I have lift pallets loaded with bags of concrete evenly loaded on the pallet and have never broken a pallet. 36" forks on a 48" pallet is not a problem unless of course the pallet is shot to start with.

Third: you have to keep in mind, you are going to be using these forks on a 1 series. These tractors are not going to pick the world to start with. The additional length in the front of the tractor, you will notice when maneuvering the tractor around.

IMHO.. seeing the fork tips is a non-issue for me, because I can see mine by just leaning to the left and I am only 6' tall. The 36" length is of no concern when lifting 48" pallets. Finally, having the additional length hanging out the front of a small tractor when maneuvering is the biggest issue and you will notice the additional length. This was the biggest issue for me and I have not regretted having 36" forks once.

Now, you have to decided for yourself and I do understand, it is hard to picture a set of forks on a 1 series and what they look like before you have the forks. Before I bought mine, I took two pieces of 2 x 4, one 36" long and one 42" long, slide them in the bucket and c-clamped them to the bottom of the bucket at the width that forks would normally be used at. Then I maneuvered the tractor around to see how noticeable the difference was. I immediately noticed that the extra 6" hanging out the front of the tractor was a bigger issue to me than having to lean to the left to see the end of the 36" piece.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Are you actually going to be using the forks for pallets? We've got 42" Artillians and have yet to pick up a single pallet. They're great for moving brush, logs, etc. As for the weight: the heck with being lighter for the tractor - they're lighter for ME to move. :laugh: We've also got the discontinued 24" Artillians.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have the 42" Titan with the backrest. Very happy with them and have them on the FEL all the time. I did paint the tips orange and it helps see them. Had them on my 1025r and switched them over to the 2038r. Very happy with the Titan forks and they were under 450$ with free shipping and had them in 3 days.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Well, I have to be different!! :dunno: I have 36" forks on my Artillian frame and would not want forks any longer.

First: seeing the fork tips over the hood. I simply look to the left slightly and I can see the tips fine and of course this only applies when lifting something from grade. When lifting a pallet, you will have the forks separated so you will be able to see one of the forks quite easily by just looking to one side.

Second: concerning pallet support. I have lift pallets loaded with bags of concrete evenly loaded on the pallet and have never broken a pallet. 36" forks on a 48" pallet is not a problem unless of course the pallet is shot to start with.

Third: you have to keep in mind, you are going to be using these forks on a 1 series. These tractors are not going to pick the world to start with. The additional length in the front of the tractor, you will notice when maneuvering the tractor around.

IMHO.. seeing the fork tips is a non-issue for me, because I can see mine by just leaning to the left and I am only 6' tall. The 36" length is of no concern when lifting 48" pallets. Finally, having the additional length hanging out the front of a small tractor when maneuvering is the biggest issue and you will notice the additional length. This was the biggest issue for me and I have not regretted having 36" forks once.

Now, you have to decided for yourself and I do understand, it is hard to picture a set of forks on a 1 series and what they look like before you have the forks. Before I bought mine, I took two pieces of 2 x 4, one 36" long and one 42" long, slide them in the bucket and c-clamped them to the bottom of the bucket at the width that forks would normally be used at. Then I maneuvered the tractor around to see how noticeable the difference was. I immediately noticed that the extra 6" hanging out the front of the tractor was a bigger issue to me than having to lean to the left to see the end of the 36" piece.
I agree with all said here - I also have 36” Artillian forks on my 2520.

I talked with Chris about this when placing my order. Being the price is the same, longer is better, right? Well maybe not....

One thing to think about is moving around in tight spaces. Let’s say you are in a barn or garage and need to turn to pick something up. The longer the forks the harder it will be to make that turn and get your forks lined up properly.

The same thing goes with tilting your forks like getting them level to slide into a pallet. The longer the forks the more pronounced each move you make will be at the tips. Each nudge of the curl lever will move the tips more distance at the tips making precise movements more difficult.

And the bit of reaching into a pickup always comes up. Firstly, the 36” forks are only 6” shorter than the 42”. 6” isn’t going to make that much of a difference. If a pallet is all the way to the front of a pickup bed you aren’t going to get enough pallet to lift it right off either way. You get enough fork under the end of the pallet, lift a little, and drag it back a little. Then reposition to lift the entire pallet. And also about pallets - I’ve never driven a forklift where the forks go under the entire pallet - it just isn’t neccessary. As long as you have your forks 3/4 the way underneath that is all that is needed.

Edit to add - oops - here I am in the sub-compact section again.......

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I recently had to make the same decision, and ended up going with the Artillian 42" for many of the reasons listed in this thread. I wanted a grapple too, and finally decided that the modularity of the Artillian set up was the best way to go for me. I chose 42" as a good compromise between 36" and 48".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with the JD AP10F forks with 42" tines for my 1025r. I originally intended to get Titan forks, but I had two sets of their made in USA forks delivered to me with misplaced pins that prevented them from attaching to the loader frame. The forks from my JD dealer were only about $50 more expensive than the Titans (no shipping fee), weigh 198 pounds, and, of course, fit perfectly. They're totally fine given the lifting limitations of this tractor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How often will you be using these? I have a set of the Titan clamp on's. They are awesome.
43in
1500lb rating
126$ delivered.

https://www.palletforks.com/clamp-on-pallet-forks-1-500-lbs-capacity.html
I have he same set. Actually unsure of the length though, as I purchased them second hand at $75 to unload a brush mower I bought at the same time. Brilliant for the user who only will use them a hand full of times a year or less (me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm in the go longer camp. I have the 36" Titan forks and wish I would have bought the 42s. I unload pallets weekly with mine and it's very hard to see the tips when the forks are at trailer height. As in Semi- trailer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went with the 42 inch forks when I ordered my Artillians. Only briefly considered the 36 or 48 inch. I drove a fork lift 8 or more hours a day for quite a few years for a large industrial company. The average small forklift used in the plant and warehouse was equipped with 42 inch forks and they always worked best for me. The pallets most commonly used were 42 inches long and 30 or 44 inches wide.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have 42 inch Artillian's and first used them on my 2210 SCUT. I liked the extra length because it allows me to reach that much deeper into my truck for off loading. I now use them on my 3025e. If anything I wish they were 48 inch long now. I use my almost exclusively for pallets on my property. I keep a stash of pallets in a little clearing just inside my wood line and am constantly using them for something. Right now most of my plastic ones are tied up storing retaining wall block for a project I need to do but am dreading (it's simply too hot for me to be hand placing block etc).

I have been able to get around the extra length in tight places by curling my forks up and if that doesn't get it then raising the FEL. At the end of the day go with what you feel you need and can handle. I like the extra length so I can reach deeper into my truck bed (my bed is a full 8 feet, kind of a rarity these days) and so I can get the forks completely underneath a pallet. As far as brand goes, get what fits you and your budget. Since you have a 1 series you are correct in being concerned about the weight of the forks, which is one reason I went with Artillian. Titan's were a bit of an unknown when I sourced mine and I knew I would be using Chris's modular system for other things so while the initial cost was high it's worked out for me. I probably use the forks as much or more than any other attachment I have. I used them to unload about 15,000lbs of steel for my shop when it was delivered, so they are a handy thing to have around your property. Good luck with your purchase. :greentractorride:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts