Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just ordered a new x758 last week with a 54" snow blower, but now I am rethinking and considering the 47" instead. Other than the obvious size difference, what are the pros and cons of each?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Other than the 7 inches difference in width they are identical in design and function. It used to be that the 54" had a plastic impeller and the 47" had a steel impeller but I believe they are now both plastic. If you get a lot of snow and have room to maneuver the 54" you will be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
There is no reason to get the 47" snow blower. Not that it's a bad unit, it's great. But the 54" is better, if only because it handles slightly more snow per pass, and, more importantly, blows an area of snow wider than your tractor, which helps if you have to turn. It helps a lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 47 and wish it were a 54 for the tractor width issue.
There is no reason to get the 47" snow blower. Not that it's a bad unit, it's great. But the 54" is better, if only because it handles slightly more snow per pass, and, more importantly, blows an area of snow wider than your tractor, which helps if you have to turn. It helps a lot.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
I found a Nice 5 ft Snow Blower for my tractor they only wanted $750.00 and it has not been used much. I saw it but for got the name. It is mostly Grey with Red Trim Shute ect and solid looking. He told me he paid $2,300.00 for it and I believe him known him about 20years now. I won't use it much but when it is needed it is the only thing you can get thru the deep stuff and blow it away into the winds!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have an X748 and the 47”, and only very rarely have I bogged down. Takes snow over the top of the blower to slow it down to a crawl. But my Honda never bogs :good2:

I’m with the crowd recommending the 54”. I’d have bought the 54” however it wasn’t available when I bought the 47”. The machine can handle it and to the points made, it is nice and wide vs the track for the X series.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an X748 and the 47”, and only very rarely have I bogged down. Takes snow over the top of the blower to slow it down to a crawl. But my Honda never bogs :good2:

I’m with the crowd recommending the 54”. I’d have bought the 54” however it wasn’t available when I bought the 47”. The machine can handle it and to the points made, it is nice and wide vs the track for the X series.
I would have thought the x748 with the 47" snowblower would have outperformed the smaller Honda walk-behind (28" I think?). I assumed the tractor had more power to transfer than the Honda.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought the 47 inch cause it fits my wife's wheelchair ramp. 54 inch would have been too wide. It does the job fine.
Ron

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone. I was only thinking of the 47" for maneuverability and the 48" sidewalks in my girlfriend's neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I don't need a snowblower for my X758 year per-se however I'm always watching craigslist for one. My driveway is quite small so my walk behind is ideal. I also only have a one car garage so I have the wife park in it during snowstorms to make cleanup easier. As a result my tractor is at the in-laws hibernating. I've done dozens of searches comparing the 47" vs 54". My concern was the 54" not performing nearly as well as the 47" due to it biting so much more in a single pass. After talking to guys on JD groups on FB as well as different internet forums I can't seem to find any huge cons to going with the 47" or 54". In the end it's just less passes to be made. The 47" barely leaves enough width for the tractor whereas the 54" definitely leaves enough room.

Typically when shopping for a walk behind the cc's divided by bucket width is what moth manufacturers and guys use as a comparison in regards to output and capability. In the end you get CC's per inch of bucket width. It's a rough game but its a starting point. My 24" EFI SHO model threw snow 50-60' without struggling. After one season Ariens released their Pro model (hydrostatic) in an EFI setup as well. Needless to say she was amazing this winter. My feeling is if it's going to be cold enough to shrink body parts, we better have snow to play with our toys. :laugh:

Does anyone know if there is a steel impeller upgrade for the 54" or is plastic the only option?

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I agree with others concerning going with the 54". Having the wider width is needed when turning. With the 47", you will drive on the snow when turning.

I noticed you do not have in what area of the country you live in in your profile. IMO, unless you live in an area of the country where you get snows that are in excess of 8" at one time on a regular basis, a snow blower is an accessory that will set in the garage.

I have a 54" front mount snow blower, a 54" front blade, and a 52" front mount broom for my 1 series. In my part of the country (south central PA), the snow blower sits in the garage most winters (this makes it an expensive novelty), the blade (very useful for most all snows from 4" to 8") gets installed maybe twice and the front broom gets used for almost every snow as we get allot of 2" to 3" snows. The broom is by far the best snow removal tool for snows that are 3" or less and if you have a paved driveway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may be right about the broom, but I think a snow blower would be a lot more controlled as to where the snow is directed. Also, much less likely to fling rocks or other debris at the house and cars. I clear several neighbors' driveways, and don't always have the option of moving away from the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts