Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a snowblower for my 1025r.

Which model do you use?
Which one do you prefer?

I never used a front attachment other than the bucket. Is there any special equipment I need other than the snowblower?

Thanks

·
Corndog Hater
11,779 Posts
From Deere, in a front mount you will have a choice of the 47" (which is what I have) or the 54". If I was buying today, I would go with the 54" for the extra coverage width. I carried my 47" blower over from previous equipment. They are well built units and I really like mine. You will also need the Quick Hitch setup along with the driveshaft and upstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a snowblower for my 1025r.

Which model do you use?
Which one do you prefer?

I never used a front attachment other than the bucket. Is there any special equipment I need other than the snowblower?

Thanks
I have the 54 inch snowblower. I can't say if it is better than the 47 other than it is bigger. I do know that the plastic fan or impeller that is used on both models doesn't seem to blow snow as well as the metal fan/impeller that was used on earlier models. I am planning to change from plastic to metal in the spring. There has been discussion on this site about the improvement to metal and how it improves the performance. Superglidesport has done the switch on his 47 and gave an excellent explanation with pictures on how to make the switch. My dealer and JD don't seem to be able to provide a metal impeller part number for the 54 inch snowblower but according to other members on this site part AM109105 will take of the 47 and the 54. In addition to the blower itself you need the drive shaft and the front hitch assembly. I hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
54" hands down. A rule of thumb for blowers is: it needs to be wider than the front wheels,at least. Now, a 1 series may not have the hp or torque to run a 54 blower. Talk to the dealer about what would be best for you. Also, consider these:

- How long is the driveway,
What is the driveway material,
How much will you spend?

JohnH123

·
Registered
968 Posts
I suggest the 54" wide model if you expect to backup thru a cleared path. The 47" is a bit too narrow to clear a width wider than the tractor. I prefer the blower cut width to be beyond the tractor wheel and tire track width so I'm not driving thru drifts in reverse.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Either blower will work. I have the 54". It can be a bit much for my 1026 in deep wet snow over 20".

·
Registered
748 Posts
I too would say go 54" if you can swing it. I purchased my 1025R this last November and picked the 47" front snow blower. If I could do it over, I'd go 54". I have a horse shoe shaped driveway and while turning, the 47" is a bit too narrow and I end up with the outside front wheels riding in the deep snow. A few inches wider would be so nice!

I've had no major problems with mine. I did replace a grease zerk and found one of the shoes has loosened up and caused a shear bolt to break, but it was nothing I couldn't fix myself.

Reactions: xpshooter

·
Registered
150 Posts
I run a frontier 54" 3pt blower
For me, having the loader on is invaluable. Once my banks get well over the height of the blower, 26" , it's hard to carve just a bit off at a time, I find it more effective to pull the banks down with loader then blow away.
The sb1154 is extremely well built and has a very nice cut width and height, with a 24" fan it's the largest in its class that I know of.

image.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a frontier 1154 and so far I'm very happy with it it throws snow a lot higher and farther than any of the front mounts I've used. last year I had four foot drifts and my front mount wouldn't raise high enough. Took forever to get through. My new rear mount lifts much higher and saves me a lot of time clearing my 400 foot driveway

·
Registered
374 Posts
$$$$$

Then there's the whole "price difference" thing. If you need everything (mounting hareware, front PTO shaft, etc.), you'll spend 3 to 4k for the front mounted blower. If your neck is in good shape and your have decent rear work lights, a 3ph blower might be for you. It's about half the price, at best. Either way, adding weight will be necessary, in my eyes. With the 3ph model, you'll need wheel weights for the rear wheels. With the front mounted, you'll want a ballast box (or similar weight) and front weight is always good for help in turning. If nothing else, I strongly suggest you look into this thread:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-maintenance/17633-r4-tire-siping-grooving-improved-traction.html

If you have R4 tires, the above is an excellent write-up on how to get the most traction for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too have a Frontier SB1154. It is nice to have the loader on in the winter. I don't mind backing up, but I'm sure driving forward would be more fun. But having the loader on for scraping and other chores is nice. Another benefit of the rear mount is you can raise it fairly high and back it into snow banks to 'trim' them down. Or if you really need them out of the way trim them first, then lower the blower to get rid of the rest. The Frontier blowers are built tough, a lot tougher the the front mounted setup JD sells. No plastic impellers either. Speaking of impellers, it's BIG and flings snow really far! I don't have rear wheel weights or loader tires. So far so good. :good2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fr the guys who also have the sb1154, when I raise the blower too high I get a lot of not so nice noise out of the pto shaft, it worries me so I don't lift it high to chew up high banks.
Does this happen for others as well?

·
Premium Member
12,786 Posts
Fr the guys who also have the sb1154, when I raise the blower too high I get a lot of not so nice noise out of the pto shaft, it worries me so I don't lift it high to chew up high banks.
It happens with the front blowers as well. Basically it can happen with any shaft-drive implement when the U-joint angle is too great.

The SB1154 looks like a nice blower except the lack of a replacable cutting edge is a bit of a downer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine does make a little more noise, but not so bad that it scares me. I keep the shaft and blower greased, and chain tension checked after each use. When I need to, it really chews up the banks and puts them in there place!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had mine lifted up pretty high a few times and haven't herd any excess noise from it yet. I try to keep it low but every once in a while I forget.

·
Registered
992 Posts
One of the GTT vendors Mutton Power put out this chart Used John Deere 47" & 54" Snow Blower Buying Guide a while back and it is very helpful in figuring out what you need. Some of the numbers may have changed but it will certainly get you going down the right road. My vote would be the 54" and go slowly when you need to.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Doesn't happen in mine either. I lift mine up while running to go down the driveway for another pass. Too lazy to turn the PTO off, lift it up, move, put it back down, throttle the tractor down, start the PTO, and throttle back up.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I too have a Frontier SB1154. It is nice to have the loader on in the winter. I don't mind backing up, but I'm sure driving forward would be more fun. But having the loader on for scraping and other chores is nice. Another benefit of the rear mount is you can raise it fairly high and back it into snow banks to 'trim' them down. Or if you really need them out of the way trim them first, then lower the blower to get rid of the rest. The Frontier blowers are built tough, a lot tougher the the front mounted setup JD sells. No plastic impellers either. Speaking of impellers, it's BIG and flings snow really far! I don't have rear wheel weights or loader tires. So far so good. :good2:
I agree on these points. It's why i went with the Frontier as well.
That sucker is big time beefy solid too. Makes for a good counterweight when using loader.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I used to have the SB1154. Great rear snow blower.......a real tank! There are 2 reasons I swapped to a front mount. 1......found a heck of a deal on a 54" front mount with a Curtis Cab. 2......after snow blowing backwards for almost 10 years.......I'd had enough. It does take me a little bit longer to do my driveway with the front mount versus the rear mount..........but hey......... I'm driving forward and get more seat time! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run a frontier 54" 3pt blower
For me, having the loader on is invaluable. Once my banks get well over the height of the blower, 26" , it's hard to carve just a bit off at a time, I find it more effective to pull the banks down with loader then blow away.
The sb1154 is extremely well built and has a very nice cut width and height, with a 24" fan it's the largest in its class that I know of.

View attachment 41276
Nice, it looks great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts