Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to orders some chains for my rear tires - my asphalt drive is steep and I don't want to slide down using the plow or snow blower. Safety is primary concern - I merely don't want to buy more than I need.

The tractor has R3 turf tire so I'm looking at the "Ladder" style on TireChains.com. Should I spend the extra money for the "Ladder 2 Link style" or will it not make much difference? The website says the 2 link style gives a smoother ride - traction is what I'm looking for - will the 2 link style give better traction?

Also, are the spring tensioners worth the extra cost over the rubber ones - they cost more the twice as much.

Thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
The 2 link ladder chains will run smoother and they won't skip / slip between crossbars under poor traction conditions. This will reduce the possibility of marking up your driveway. I have 2 link ladder chains on my 2320 and they work well.

I use Aquiline MPC chains on the 3320 and they're much smoother and provide better traction on my steep, asphalt driveway. You may want to consider them for your 4200. https://www.kenjones.com/aquiline-mpc-multi-purpose-tractor-tire-chains

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
I have the regular 2-link ones and spring tensioners from tirechain.com, very happy with them. It takes a while to get them setup properly, but now they are a breeze to install. I had to shorten mine a bit, and remove a few links from each of the five tensioner chains on each side.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
In my experience,, the 4 link seem to make you "go" better,,
but, the 2 link seem to "stop" better.

4 link have too much chance of ending up with rubber showing through a gap during braking.

but,,,

4 link concentrate more weight on less chain,, biting into ice better.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Tensioners

I just tried my chains for the first time and don't think I will actually use the tensioners that I bought. I got the reinforced net chain and the built in tightener seems more than adequate. I put the spring tensioner on one wheel and it just seemed extraneous with the net chains.

I haven't sent the tensioners back because of the restocking fee. If someone else wants them, I could make them available.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
I just tried my chains for the first time and don't think I will actually use the tensioners that I bought. I got the reinforced net chain and the built in tightener seems more than adequate. I put the spring tensioner on one wheel and it just seemed extraneous with the net chains.
Can you post a photo of the net chains?

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
yes-i agree on the pic-treefarmer--i have never heard that term-used on tire chains-ok

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Net chains

Here's the link- 15-19.5 Tractor Tire Chains

Tire chains reinforced net.PNG

These are for my 790 and might not be available for other sizes since they are in the "loader" section on tirechains.com. If we get snow this winter, I'll see how they do. I will say they are heavy and I'm very glad I did a test run before I actually need them. They are also pretty aggressive and might be an issue on asphalt.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The 2 link ladder chains will run smoother and they won't skip / slip between crossbars under poor traction conditions. This will reduce the possibility of marking up your driveway. I have 2 link ladder chains on my 2320 and they work well.

I use Aquiline MPC chains on the 3320 and they're much smoother and provide better traction on my steep, asphalt driveway. You may want to consider them for your 4200. https://www.kenjones.com/aquiline-mpc-multi-purpose-tractor-tire-chains
If you order from this place, be sure to watch the embedded video of their "award winning commercial". First, it's pretty funny. But, second and more importantly, it will save you 10% on your order. They display a coupon code at the end of the commercial. 60 seconds to save $40 or $50! That's a better rate than my day job! :laugh:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

I ended up purchasing the 2-link ladder chains from tirechains.com along with the tensioners. They were delivered today. I expect they'll serve me well and last a long time.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
I ended up purchasing the 2-link ladder chains from tirechains.com along with the tensioners. They were delivered today. I expect they'll serve me well and last a long time.

Thanks again for all the good advice.
Make sure they fit good, and make any adjustments BEFORE you need them :lol:

I had to work on mine in the freezing cold pole barn a few winters ago because I didn't follow that advice.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
I refit the HD 3/8" two-link ladder chains for the 2320 before installing this winter. They were a bit loose and I wasn't happy with them after installing the tensioners last season.

Removed one crossbar and two side links on each chain. Not having the chain tool I resorted to using a 5# hammer and a large cold chisel to spread the crossbar to side chain links. Used a bolt cutter to remove the links.

After refitting and installation:

IMG_0391.JPG

Last season before refitting the chains. You'll notice that the side chains are a bit too long.

IMG_1576.JPG

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure they fit good, and make any adjustments BEFORE you need them :lol:

I had to work on mine in the freezing cold pole barn a few winters ago because I didn't follow that advice.
Excellent advise. I laid them out tonight and it will be a close fit between the tire and the fender. It looks like they should clear. Tirechains.com has good instructions on installing/fitting.

Using this as a weekend project when there's some time to heat the garage seems like a prudent plan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's the link- 15-19.5 Tractor Tire Chains

View attachment 288266

These are for my 790 and might not be available for other sizes since they are in the "loader" section on tirechains.com. If we get snow this winter, I'll see how they do. I will say they are heavy and I'm very glad I did a test run before I actually need them. They are also pretty aggressive and might be an issue on asphalt.

Treefarmer
Treefarmer,

I am thinking about the net chains for the same size tire on my 3203. Have you had a chance to try them out? Not a lot of people seem to talk about this chain design but the price is good and the ratings are good on the chart at tirechains.com

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
test fit only

Treefarmer,

I am thinking about the net chains for the same size tire on my 3203. Have you had a chance to try them out? Not a lot of people seem to talk about this chain design but the price is good and the ratings are good on the chart at tirechains.com
I put them on for a test fit but haven't needed them for real. I did drive around enough to see if they were going to stay on the tires and it seemed fine. I don't have a lot of pavement and my use will mostly be on gravel. Last year I had issues with the rear blade wanting to slide the tractor so I was hoping those chains would minimize that on the rear.

What I'm really hoping is I don't ever need them!

Treefarmer

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have this style on my 1025 rears
They are made for a truck/suv and I cut them down to fit my tractor.

I have never used any other kind of chains, so hard to compare. But it is definatly a huge improvement over no chains.

I think the design is to improve comfort, which isn't a concern for a tractor, but thy were free so I'm using them.

I have some other ones , normal ladder style that I will be cutting down for the front tires.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
22,773 Posts
I have this style on my 1025 rears
They are made for a truck/suv and I cut them down to fit my tractor.

I have never used any other kind of chains, so hard to compare. But it is definatly a huge improvement over no chains.

I think the design is to improve comfort, which isn't a concern for a tractor, but thy were free so I'm using them.

I have some other ones , normal ladder style that I will be cutting down for the front tires.

View attachment 299729
That's the type we have (had) for our vehicles. Easy to put on and take off and could run up to 40mph with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts